Reverse drive will not engage
- Not allowing enough time between shifts
- To engage reverse, bring the truck to a complete stop and push the shift button up. Allow at least 1 second (count "one thousand and one") and then apply throttle.
- Engine idle speed set too high
- Lower the engine's idle speed. If the idle speed is set too high, the truck won't shift into reverse.
- The transmission is loaded
- If the truck is stuck on a hill or wedged against an object, there may be too much load on the transmission to allow it to shift between forward and reverse. Free the truck and then test for normal operation.
- Forward/reverse trim adjustment
- The shift servo is set at the factory and should not require adjustment. If you have removed or replaced the shift servo, however, you may have to make trim adjustments.
- Binding shift fork-shaft
- Stop the truck and try shifting from forward to reverse and vise versa.
- Damage to transmission internals
- If the servo engages reverse drive but the truck does not move in reverse, remove and disassemble the transmission to find the damaged gear(s).