Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Racer
    Slapjack, if you decide to go with A MM2/2200 combo I highly recommend it. The MXL6 esc is same as MM2 just different color. As for the motors, the 2200 that comes with the MXL6 is NOT the same as the Castle 2200!!! It appears to be cheaply made compared to the Castle. Ive seen pics of the 2 both disassembled and the Quality of the original Castle 2200 is superior. Im trying to find the link for the pics but cant. Ill keep searching and post it when I do find it.

As for other upgrades when going brushless, here is what I recommend at minimum

Traxxas Erevo brushless esc mount (as seen in a previous post) after that the MM2/2200 combo will bolt in with no additional mods.

Traxxas 5650 center cvd driveshafts (direct fit to Summit)

Aluminum knuckles (STRC are nice because they use a larger outer bearing)

LEM (Leading Edge Machining) Diff cups and hardened spider gears. so far I havent heard of anyone breaking them yet and the aluminum cups are guaranteed for life. if you break them they will replace them no questions asked. Spiders however, no such warranty. also, be sure to properly shim them before installation

This setup has been almost bullet proof on my Summit now for over a year running 6s. Also, most of us Summit owners run a single-servo. Savox 1230 is highly recommended and can be easily waterproofed with some marine grease.

Now when it comes to brushless motors, they are all waterproof except for sensored motors. This means that they will work while wet but be sure to disassemble it and dry it out after or you will have problems. I also recommend Boca stainless motor bearings for the Castle 2200kv motor since they will not rust.

As for the Summit transmission, it has been mentioned already in this thread but it is the exact same transmission as the Erevo brushless transmission except it has the low gear added from factory. these transmissions are very strong and will hold up to brushless power as long as you do not shift while in motion! same goes for the locking diffs, be sure you are at a complete stop before shifting, and slowly pull away until you are sure that the shifting took place.

Axles- I agree with everyone else that the stock axles are best you can get. they are not bullet-proof but if your slipper is set correctly they will last for quite a while. and if you get a wheel jammed in between some rocks dont try to drive out or you will most likely snap that axle.

You also asked about the 2200kv vs the 2650kv. I do not recommend the 2650 for the summit because it has less torque. Also, KV stands for RPMs-per-volt. for instance the 2200kv motor will spin 2200 rpms for every volt.
    So yes the 2650 is a faster motor but the 2200 has the torque to allow you to gear up to the same speeds. And the Summit is pleanty fast with the 2200 on 4s geared 14/68 and it will stay cool at that gearing and still have some crawling capabilities without to much cogging.

Hope this helps a bit. Any questions feel free to ask.
    Dan

RC Qualifier
    Ttypedan hey man what gearing do you recommend if im pulling jumbo kongs? On my summit i run 6s

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Billgates1234 View Post
    Ttypedan hey man what gearing do you recommend if im pulling jumbo kongs? On my summit i run 6s
    With those huge puppies I would go as low as possible.

I know some guys use the 72t spur but you have to trim the chassis a little to clear it. But for a bolt on I would go at least 68t spur with the smallest pinion you can find like 9t

And hey from now on PM me if you have any questions so we dont clog this thread up with unrelated posts
    Last edited by ttypedan; 09-12-2014 at 03:16 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Again, no one questions the fact that mip steel is stronger than traxxas plastic. The issues with most folks running mip in a summit is the mip joints and pins that appear to break easier than the stock traxxas joints and pins.

Now matter how large your biceps are, if you have a bum shoulder your not gonna be a weight lifter.

But the Hot Racing ones look promising. Can they extend to at least the length of the stock axles?
    Here is some easy fix for that,

Alonjp, great find. You da man
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ttypedan View Post
    Slapjack, if you decide to go with A MM2/2200 combo I highly recommend it. The MXL6 esc is same as MM2 just different color. As for the motors, the 2200 that comes with the MXL6 is NOT the same as the Castle 2200!!! It appears to be cheaply made compared to the Castle. Ive seen pics of the 2 both disassembled and the Quality of the original Castle 2200 is superior. Im trying to find the link for the pics but cant. Ill keep searching and post it when I do find it.

As for other upgrades when going brushless, here is what I recommend at minimum

Traxxas Erevo brushless esc mount (as seen in a previous post) after that the MM2/2200 combo will bolt in with no additional mods.

Traxxas 5650 center cvd driveshafts (direct fit to Summit)

Aluminum knuckles (STRC are nice because they use a larger outer bearing)

LEM (Leading Edge Machining) Diff cups and hardened spider gears. so far I havent heard of anyone breaking them yet and the aluminum cups are guaranteed for life. if you break them they will replace them no questions asked. Spiders however, no such warranty. also, be sure to properly shim them before installation

This setup has been almost bullet proof on my Summit now for over a year running 6s. Also, most of us Summit owners run a single-servo. Savox 1230 is highly recommended and can be easily waterproofed with some marine grease.

Now when it comes to brushless motors, they are all waterproof except for sensored motors. This means that they will work while wet but be sure to disassemble it and dry it out after or you will have problems. I also recommend Boca stainless motor bearings for the Castle 2200kv motor since they will not rust.

As for the Summit transmission, it has been mentioned already in this thread but it is the exact same transmission as the Erevo brushless transmission except it has the low gear added from factory. these transmissions are very strong and will hold up to brushless power as long as you do not shift while in motion! same goes for the locking diffs, be sure you are at a complete stop before shifting, and slowly pull away until you are sure that the shifting took place.

Axles- I agree with everyone else that the stock axles are best you can get. they are not bullet-proof but if your slipper is set correctly they will last for quite a while. and if you get a wheel jammed in between some rocks dont try to drive out or you will most likely snap that axle.

You also asked about the 2200kv vs the 2650kv. I do not recommend the 2650 for the summit because it has less torque. Also, KV stands for RPMs-per-volt. for instance the 2200kv motor will spin 2200 rpms for every volt.
    So yes the 2650 is a faster motor but the 2200 has the torque to allow you to gear up to the same speeds. And the Summit is pleanty fast with the 2200 on 4s geared 14/68 and it will stay cool at that gearing and still have some crawling capabilities without to much cogging.

Hope this helps a bit. Any questions feel free to ask.
    Dan
    Thank U very much for this in depth response. I apreciate it and i will take ur advice when doing my build.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
    Thank U very much for this in depth response. I apreciate it and i will take ur advice when doing my build.
    No problem man. Glad to help.

RC poster
    Hey. Useful and interresting thread. I have been using the MM2 for several months, and there has been nothing broken. But others already have said the slipper clutch has to be replaced. I am using the one with alu-pads and i does the job. I think the part number is 5253r. Also the stock tyres are no good above 30 mph. I use 18/68 gearing and are doing 58 mph in top speed. The mamba is great for crawling as well. It has some useful features like dragbrake and punsh control how both really helps in crawling. With 6S i have been driving more than 3 hours of crawling, and it was still running. My guess is that it can easily do 4 hours. I really love the way this truck perform!