RC Competitor

Question MERV - Good winter RC?

Trying to think ahead for winter and figure out what to get for the long snowy Canadian winters. I've been looking into a mini e-revo brushed, since a) it's cheap for 4x4 RTR and its parts, b) brushed is better for wet conditions. I know summit would be the best but this is solely for the winter and i already put money into my slash 4x4 for the summer as my go-to RC.

Anyone here with MERV winter experience? I'm already planning on getting a shroud, shock covers, 2 nimh batteries, and paddle tires. Any other advice?
    -
    Slash 4x4 6808, MMP + 3800kv motor

RC Racer
    It can be good fun in the winter, but not really great on powder. Packed snow, it is a blast!

RC Competitor
    well if it's anything like last winter, packed shouldnt be hard to get.
    -
    Slash 4x4 6808, MMP + 3800kv motor

RC Qualifier
    Not great in winter IMHO.

RC Competitor
    I agree with everyone else. Powder is good as well as packed snow. However fresh snow it's terrible. There isn't enough ground clearance once the wheels start sinking in.

RC Qualifier
    In snow or taller grass for that matter Mini Summit is the way to go. More minimum ground clearance. Or you could go to a bigger tire and low gearing on merv. You could go with tracks. The key is more clearance. Tires, super soft compound.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Qualifier
    Summit is for sure a better pick. Or you could go 10th scale truck.

My Revo is hoped up like crazy and has dirt hawgs which give a little more ground clearance as well as the gpm shocks I run...ps...it's for sale in the market place lol
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Qualifier
    He's right the bigger the better! The full size Summit cause it's got built in lockers. Or just put 500k in all three diffs.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Enthusiast
    Here is where the MERV is great in the winter. You know after a really heavy snow, and right after the plow clears your street? There is still a packed layer of snow, but its not real deep? That is where merv is awesome. I can spin mine around doing super tight donuts till its doing a pirouette on one tire. It can slip and slide all around with no problems. Really fun doing that. In deep snow....its not good at all. In a yard full of snow it is kinda worthless....but on packed snow.....AWESOME!!!

RC Qualifier
    3a Lipo brushless some paddles and it will go over all the snow you want. Even fresh
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Qualifier

Should answer your questions of snow running. Powder isn't much fun for long, you really need slightly wet packable snow to have any fun. It'll only let me post one video per post so the next one will be ideal snow conditions
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Qualifier
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM