Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Just got my ERBE and setting it up

So I just picked up my first ERBE, coming from a Nitro Jato. I have been reading on here for weeks to see how to beat set it up. I will be in loose dirt and bashing 80% of the time, and the rear will be rolling around in the concrete jungle of LA. Right now I am running 2S to get used to the truck, then wil move up to 3S.

If I could ask for some guidance from you guys, please let me know if the following set up will do well to maximize performance of the ERBE:
    -blue springs in front and silver in back
    -70 wt shock oil all around
    -50k diff rear, 30 front and 100k center
    -stock Talons now, but ordering Dirt Bonz on Geode wheels
    -RPM True Track Rear
    -RPM front arms
    -18/54 or maybe 20/54 combo
    -will consider upgrading shafts and perhaps differentials, but need to see how the truck reacts to my driving, and need to learn how the truck likes to be driven first

Is there any things I am missing so far? I've only had about 5 minutes of drive time with it so far b/c my charger is lost in the postal system, so I'm trying to charge my 5000 Mah lipo with the plain jane Traxxas balance charger.

The truck feels so different than my Jato. Front end feels all over the place when I am driving like I am constantly having to correct the steering, but maybe that is the difference between and RWD and a 4WD car.

I've got a decent set of Lipos and dual charger to start, and will upgrade soon I'm sure.

Really just want to get this thing in the dirt and see how it does ASAP

Please let me know if I missed anything above, and any/all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

RC Racer
    So I just had the Lipos fully charged and ran the truck for he first real time and all I can say is:wow. This things lives up to its reputation. Night and day from my Jato 3.3 in every aspect. Still have some upgrades I would like to do, especially getting the shocks and diffs in order (rear diff unloads way to quick; can't keep it straight with throttle off the line).

One thing I noticed was that one of the Lipos was a little warmer than the other when I finished after 25 minutes of bashing. It was also a little puffed. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mindprey View Post
    So I just had the Lipos fully charged and ran the truck for he first real time and all I can say is:wow. This things lives up to its reputation. Night and day from my Jato 3.3 in every aspect. Still have some upgrades I would like to do, especially getting the shocks and diffs in order (rear diff unloads way to quick; can't keep it straight with throttle off the line).

One thing I noticed was that one of the Lipos was a little warmer than the other when I finished after 25 minutes of bashing. It was also a little puffed. Is this normal?
    WHATCH OUT WITH THAT LIPO!!!!!! IT CAN explode or something like that and YOU DONT WANT IT. ITs pretty much to throw away its very dangerous to have lipo's puffed up.
    BAD LIPO

EDIT: what lipo are those? are they 2nd hand? how did you charge them? STILL WATCH OUT
    Last edited by traxxasvxlbasher; 07-25-2014 at 06:11 PM.

RC Racer
    They are ******* man-tech 2s 5000 Mah 25c. I used the little traxxas charger (the most basic traxxas charger) and monitored the charge every 15 minutes until I had green light. They are used, and came with my ERBE, but seller said they were only run once at most. It is not puffed up huge, but there is a little swelling with it.

RC Racer
    I feel like people always exaggerate. I have never ran into S9me one that has had a lipo explode. How swollen do you mean?
    E - Revo Fixing it daily.

RC Racer
    Not much, just don't want to destroy my new toy.

Anyone have any thoughts on the proposed set up on the first post?

RC Racer
    Well it was definitely ran more then once then. Does that charger have a balancer on it?

RC Racer
    I can launch much better after I went 50 front 30 in rear. Better traction in the corners and not so quick to Wheelie and flip over.

RC Racer
    Yes, it only charges through the balance charger. I just saw that my Onyx 245 was dropped at my house by the mailman, so I will hook the batteries up to that tonight to see if they are in order

RC Racer
    I personally wouldn't be worried about a little swelling (I'm sure there will be some who disagree. If it starts getting really swollen I would look into proper disposal.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo2Fix View Post
    I can launch much better after I went 50 front 30 in rear. Better traction in the corners and not so quick to Wheelie and flip over.
    I would think 50 in the rear and 30 in the front. Guess I had it backwards.

RC Racer
    It's going to allow a little more power to make it to the front wheels. Suspension is all preference based on the terrain. You can get a lot of adjusting using the preload adjuster.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo2Fix View Post
    It's going to allow a little more power to make it to the front wheels. Suspension is all preference based on the terrain. You can get a lot of adjusting using the preload adjuster.
    Very interesting. I'll give it a try.

RC Qualifier
    How u like the onyx 245

Did a quick search looks pretty good

RC Racer
    Haven't used it yet. It got delivered today but I haven't been home yet.

RC Qualifier
    I might buy one as well keep me posted how it works out for you

RC Racer
    I will. I'll probably use it this evening still

RC Racer
    I have the 235 and 245. They are great! But I don't think it has this storage function I've heard people talk about.

Welcome to the erbe fever, its an awesome truck indeed. With the true track rear rpm arms, did you have to change the camber/toe links??
    For the past year and a half I have been using the Onyx 150, with auto balancer, been happy with it, not sure if it has a storage facility too, but I know non of my 2x2s and 2x3s batteries have ever puffed. Will eventually upgrade later on for now happy with it.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    I think your upgrades are good ones.

Other things to consider:
    Wheelie bar
    Steel center CVD
    T-bone front bumper skid plate kit (this gives added protection on front impacts and save you in certain repair costs over time)

The one upgrade that I installed was Summit drive shafts and stub axles and personally I think this upgrade should be at the top of anyones list. The parts you would need for this are listed below
    Qty Part Number Part Name
    (2) #5656 Summit Driveshaft, long
    (4) #5654 Summit CV Stub axle
    (4) #5653 Summit diff output CV drive

There is an article "Big Volt Basher" in the Pitt Pass section which discusses this upgrade as well as others that you may want to check out.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Welcome to the erbe fever, its an awesome truck indeed. With the true track rear rpm arms, did you have to change the camber/toe links??
    For the past year and a half I have been using the Onyx 150, with auto balancer, been happy with it, not sure if it has a storage facility too, but I know non of my 2x2s and 2x3s batteries have ever puffed. Will eventually upgrade later on for now happy with it.
    I haven't bought the true trac yet; wanted some advice from those that have it already.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxaspro View Post
    How u like the onyx 245

Did a quick search looks pretty good
    Used it last night and it worked well. Took about 45 minutes to bring my 2S 5000mAh up to the top. Very easy to use, and feels solid.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by joshlanham View Post
    I think your upgrades are good ones.

Other things to consider:
    Wheelie bar
    Steel center CVD
    T-bone front bumper skid plate kit (this gives added protection on front impacts and save you in certain repair costs over time)

The one upgrade that I installed was Summit drive shafts and stub axles and personally I think this upgrade should be at the top of anyones list. The parts you would need for this are listed below
    QtyPart NumberPart Name
    (2)#5656Summit Driveshaft, long
    (4)#5654Summit CV Stub axle
    (4)#5653Summit diff output CV drive

There is an article "Big Volt Basher" in the Pitt Pass section which discusses this upgrade as well as others that you may want to check out.
    Thanks man, I'll check out that article. I have the t-bone front combo (forgot to mention that), and have read great things about the Summit Drive shaft mod. I might wait until I actually break a shaft, then go do the mod.

RC Competitor
    Thanks man, I'll check out that article. I have the t-bone front combo (forgot to mention that), and have read great things about the Summit Drive shaft mod. I might wait until I actually break a shaft, then go do the mod.
    Thats what I did. It took me 20-30 runs on 4s to break my first shaft, so the stock shafts aren't too shabby, at that point I swapped all of them out for Summit and I couldn't be happier. It cost me around $85 for the upgrade-I ordered parts from different places to get the best price. It took me about 20 min to change them all out.

The other thing you may want to look at is an Outerwear's chassis cover since you plan on bashing in loose dirt 80% of the time. I ran mine on the beach last week and that cover saved me a lot of hassle when cleaning it up afterward as it significantly reduced the amount of sand that penetrated major components of the truck.

Keep us posted on your progress. It's always great to hear experiences from a new ERBE owner!

RC Racer
    Thanks joshlanham. Does the outerwears still allow good airflow for cooling and ventilation. I'm in the LA are and lately it has been mid 90's every day.

I need to pick up a temp gun too. Does the temp reading on the traxxas telemetry work accurately? Was thinking of adding it to mine pretty much for the temp and speed, but won't add it if the accuracy is not there.

RC Qualifier
    when your lipo looks like this one run lol was only a cheap 3s

I also install the Variable damping kit.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcrow View Post
    when your lipo looks like this one run lol was only a cheap 3s
    Yeah, my lipo doesn't look anything like that, lol. Just a little more swollen than factory, and comes out of the ERBE a little warmer than the other Lipo

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I also install the Variable damping kit.
    Just ordered it. What pistons do you use for what kind of terrain?

Just ordered it. What pistons do you use for what kind of terrain?
    I use the 2-hole and have the metal flaps set for off-road since I have little desire to run my ERBEs on-road.

RC Racer
    I use the 2-hole and have the metal flaps set for off-road since I have little desire to run my ERBEs on-road.
    Thanks man, I'll give it a try.

RC Racer
    Tonight I'm going to take out my HR 65 tooth spur and put in a 54 tooth to see the difference

Tonight I'm going to take out my HR 65 tooth spur and put in a 54 tooth to see the difference
    Taller gearing can greatly increase amp draw. Watch the motor temps and the battery condition.

RC Racer
    Taller gearing can greatly increase amp draw. Watch the motor temps and the battery condition.
    Even at 18/54 in dirt? Do you know how accurate the telemetry is, or should I just get a temp gun? Also, I know the optimal/max temps for ESC and motor, but is there a temp range for batteries?

RC Competitor
    Thanks joshlanham. Does the outerwears still allow good airflow for cooling and ventilation. I'm in the LA are and lately it has been mid 90's every day.

I need to pick up a temp gun too. Does the temp reading on the traxxas telemetry work accurately? Was thinking of adding it to mine pretty much for the temp and speed, but won't add it if the accuracy is not there.
    The Outerwears has great airflow based on recent experiences. I drove it 5 times in 95-100 degree temperatures and had no issues. Outerwears is not specific to RC cars at all. The filters for automobiles, boats etc. Check out the website.

Regarding telemetry, I honestly can't tell you how accurate it is, but it has worked well for me so far. The speeds seems accurate or at least within a couple of MPH-GPS or radar gun would probably be more accurate.. The battery voltage seems accurate-the more wide open I run, the faster it depletes. The run time seems to equal to the Battery voltage reading(when not using telemetry I have a good idea of where my voltage is based on run time and how much I open it up). Overall, I like the telemetry and I use it most of the time as long as my old iPhone is charged up. That is the best feedback I can give you. If I were you, I would start a separate thread about the accuracy of traxxas telemetry as I would interested in others' experiences.

Hope that helped!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxaspro View Post
    I might buy one as well keep me posted how it works out for you
    The charger works great. Takes about 35-40 minutes to charge my 5000 mah 2S. It is missing the storage mode and discharge mode, but for the money a good charger.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by joshlanham View Post
    The Outerwears has great airflow based on recent experiences. I drove it 5 times in 95-100 degree temperatures and had no issues. Outerwears is not specific to RC cars at all. The filters for automobiles, boats etc. Check out the website.

Regarding telemetry, I honestly can't tell you how accurate it is, but it has worked well for me so far. The speeds seems accurate or at least within a couple of MPH-GPS or radar gun would probably be more accurate.. The battery voltage seems accurate-the more wide open I run, the faster it depletes. The run time seems to equal to the Battery voltage reading(when not using telemetry I have a good idea of where my voltage is based on run time and how much I open it up). Overall, I like the telemetry and I use it most of the time as long as my old iPhone is charged up. That is the best feedback I can give you. If I were you, I would start a separate thread about the accuracy of traxxas telemetry as I would interested in others' experiences.

Hope that helped!
    Thanks for the tip and insight into the outerwears cover. I'll look into it.

I'll also investigate the telemetry aspect a bit further and keep you posted.

RC Racer
    I put the RPM True Trax on today, and have my blue/silver springs. Just got the VDP kit, and now waiting for some new shock oil (70wt).

Also, I am slowly but surely working a pair of 3.2 Dirtbonz onto Traxxas Geode wheels. Need new foam, but I think I have the tires cut just right.

RC Racer
    I am also meeting with a new client next week to see if he can fabricate a custom roll-cage for me. Could be interesting. Stay tuned.

RC Qualifier
    I put the RPM True Trax on today, and have my blue/silver springs. Just got the VDP kit, and now waiting for some new shock oil (70wt).

Also, I am slowly but surely working a pair of 3.2 Dirtbonz onto Traxxas Geode wheels. Need new foam, but I think I have the tires cut just right.
    how you like the true trax was thinking of doing the same thing