RC poster

Why does the new XL-5 esc not have a heatsink?

Hello,

I am upgrading my old XL-5 (non-LVD) to the new 2014 XL-5 esc so I can have LVD and run LiPos safely. I have looked and looked, but I can't find any information that explains why Traxxas removed the heatsink from the XL-5 for 2014.

Is the 2014 XL-5 totally redesigned or did they just take the heatsink off? Thanks,

RC Racer
    I think they just removed the heat sink, the heat sink on my xl5 never got hot it only got warm two or three times. I've always questioned the need for them...
    If Dust Aint' Flyin', You Aint' Tryin'!

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply! I've also never noticed my current XL5 getting warm after a run. I keep my Bandit geared 21/76 and the HPI 15T stays pretty cool with the 2S 30C I use (I use a voltage alarm) - hopefully the new esc will too.

It's crazy to see the tires balloon with the 26 pinion on a speed run, but I love the acceleration of the 21t. Much more fun to drive with the 21t pinion - on concrete it even pulls wheelies when it hooks up. I never thought my Bandit would do that until I went brushless! I LOVE LiPo!!!