RC Champion

Difference between Spartan v1 vs v2

Is there any differences between version 1 and 2 of the Spartan?
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    The first Spartan had a few issues. The ESC went up in smoke on 4s lipo most of the time and the motor wasn't very good! The hull was a bit different, it sloped off like a Fountain (real boat) but when that sucker dove into a wave it usually split the top deck.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-12-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Traxxas bashing.

RC Champion
    The V1 has a Traxxas made motor & ESC, and the V2 has a Castle made motor & ESC. I don't know about any differences in the hulls, though.

RC Qualifier
    The V1 had the not-so-great VXL-6S marine ESC. The never V2 comes with a better looking IMO and a better handling hull. The shape and design of the V1 and V2 hulls are different. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-13-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Traxxas bashing.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerDemon View Post
    The V1 had the not-so-great VXL-6S marine ESC. The never V2 comes with a better looking IMO and a better handling hull. The shape and design of the V1 and V2 hulls are different. Hope this helps!

Mk thanks! I even got a pic of the old vxl-6s from a friend to help me stay away from the crap since I want to run 4s.

Another question, could a leopard motor work with the vxl 6s marine? Or should I stick with the 540xl? Are they the same bullet connector size?

Another question, could a leopard motor work with the vxl 6s marine? Or should I stick with the 540xl? Are they the same bullet connector size?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-15-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: merge
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Usually leopards come with 4mm stock but that isn't hard to change If you know how. I would simply stick with the VXL- 6s if you are 5s so below because of the easy factor. I do think 6s will not turn out well with a jet drive for durability reasons.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-15-2014 at 12:44 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I see version number 57076 and version 5707L. 5707L seems to come with Lipo batteries but the older style radio that doesn't have bluetooth. Is that what you mean by V1 vs V2?

I am actively trying to find a boat now for next weekend so I'm looking at several options. I talked to Traxxas because I have 4 cars and now this boat, so I'd like one radio to do it all. Unfortunately, they just told me to buy the boat and then send them the radio and $100 and they'd send me one with bluetooth...why can't I just buy it the first time and be done with it? :-)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelity007 View Post
    I see version number 57076 and version 5707L. 5707L seems to come with Lipo batteries but the older style radio that doesn't have bluetooth. Is that what you mean by V1 vs V2?

I am actively trying to find a boat now for next weekend so I'm looking at several options. I talked to Traxxas because I have 4 cars and now this boat, so I'd like one radio to do it all. Unfortunately, they just told me to buy the boat and then send them the radio and $100 and they'd send me one with bluetooth...why can't I just buy it the first time and be done with it? :-)

V1 and v2 have different esc's. Also v1 had a weaker hull. I don't think that it is color specific but production date so that will be harder to figure it out. The Spartan is a good boat for semi choppy waters on 4s or 5s. If you like the idea of extremely stable stuff then go with a catamaran. I've seen a few videos and they are cool. I like jet drives too much so that's why I'm making a jet Spartan.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP