RC poster

drive gear replacement problem

I'm having issues rebuilding my 2wd slash transmission (gears ground up courtesy of someone else). I've got all the necessary parts that were destroyed (main diff gear, idler gear, and top drive gear). I took the transmission apart. No problems until I got to the top drive gear which is attached with a little pin to the shaft and I can't get it off. Not sure if there's a trick or tool I need. I could really use some help here before I break down and buy the proline prebuilt transmission, which is too costly after buying trenchers for the pede this morning. Any help is greatly appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    Either a vice or something to place the gear on that allows you to tap the layshaft. Dont smack it too hard or youll bend it. That pin is fixed to the shaft so it isnt budging. Those gears can get really snug but easily tapping on them (most suggest a rubber mallet i used a small ball hammer) will loosen em up.
    Race em Clean em Wrench em Repeat...

RC poster
    Thanks for the info. I've been searching this problem all night and just found a thread on this site via Google search (kept changing wording till I found it) that has many suggestions similar to yours. It's all put back together for safe keeping but I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Thanks again.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I think you can buy a new top shaft with the gear already installed... Let me look for it...

guess not, could only find them for the nitro transmissions.

If you have a vice, it makes it much easier to get the old one off and press the new one on...
    Last edited by rag6; 07-08-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    No need for a vice.

Simply put a 16oz claw hammer on the ground with claw face up, hold the top shaft with gear facing downwards in the claw so that gear sits in the sides of the claw and the cross pin can pass through it. Then tap the end of the shaft gently with a smaller hammer and the will pin pop out of the gear and fall through the claw of the hammer.

Works every time for me and takes less than a minute.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I try not to keep any claw hammers around... The rc's get nervous around hammers hehe... Cool procedure mr wolf 8)
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah ..thats a nice know how. Thanks Mr wolf
    Race em Clean em Wrench em Repeat...

RC poster
    The hammers worked for me. Got the transmission all rebuilt and the truck back together. I glad that's behind me and happy it works well too. Thanx for the suggestions. Sadly now that it's done I'm considering the rpm gearbox. Looks like another rebuild in my future.