RC poster

New motor needed. What to get.

Hi all. I have got my son a slash and I think the motor has gone. It stopped working and was to hot to touch. Looks like a new one is in order not sure what to go for as he just use sit for bashing on the road and dirt a bit more speed would be good but also a good life span.
    Is it just a matter of replacing the motor or is there anything else I will need to change.
    Thanks in advance guys.

RC Champion
    Is the truck the VXL model or the XL-5? Going brushless will give you a ton more speed and reliability. The svt combo (sidewinder 3/Castle 3800kv) is a good combo for bashing on 2s and 3s. If a better esc that is programmable on the spot and can handle sensored motors, then get the Mamba Max Pro/3800kv model.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    +1 to man dime: and if it is brushed, and you like that amount of power, another Titan is only like 15-20 bucks.
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

RC Champion
    Castle sidewinder sct/3800 combo on 2s lipo batteries would be my recommendation for you. That combo runs around $100-$110.

RC Competitor
    How old is the boy? The SCT combo is great I run it but it may be to much for a little guy. My 5 year old drives mine and crashes into everything. I only let him drive it in open fields.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NFD538 View Post
    How old is the boy? The SCT combo is great I run it but it may be to much for a little guy. My 5 year old drives mine and crashes into everything. I only let him drive it in open fields.
    The programmability of the Sidewinder ESC allows you to tame the 3800 motor as much as you like - you can limit both forward power (effectively maximum motor RPM) and torque with the torque limiting function. When combined with sensibly low gearing these settings enable the motor to be run extremely cool, provide massive run times and place very little stress on the motor.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Competitor
    Yes Castle Link, I have not used it yet.

RC poster
    Thanks guys. My son is 6 but goes fairly well. Had him at the local rc club and while defiantly not winning having a blast and keeping on the track. I'm only running standard batteries at the moment. Would I need to go to lipo straight away or would the old one do? Is it a big job to instal the new motor combo and what's involved to changing to lipo. This is all new to me.
    Thanks again.

RC Competitor
    If you're getting a new esc and motor in a combo, it pretty easy....out with the old, in with the new. Plug the esc into the receiver box channel 2 and follow the instructions to calibrate your radio to the new esc. If you switch to lipo batteries, make sure the battery connectors match and enable the low voltage detection on the esc. You can look at sending the old esc and motor back to Traxxas and upgrading to the new 4 pole motor and updated esc. Just a thought. BTW, the MMpro esc and 3800 combo is nice....a little pricey but the esc allows you to upgrade the motor to just about anything you would ever need, can handle big power from batteries, and is completely programmable with the Castle Link. It opens up a lot of possibilities/options in the future. The Sidewinder esc is a little more limited with the power it can handle/deliver. However, it is a lot cheaper in price.