Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

Spartan jet boat build

Alright so I'm starting this project with intent to finish this time . I will be getting a Spartan hull for $20 tomorrow and I'll be using two of these (http://m.ebay.com/itm/111378934860?nav=SEARCH) as the propulsion. I believe I will use a pair of vxl 3m with the revo servo "Y" harness (http://m.ebay.com/itm/141273403377?nav=SEARCH) to power the boat. I have a 2075 laying around so I may just use that for now. The reason I want a jet propulsion boat is so that I can run on rapids without having to worry about breaking props. I don't live anywhere near rapids but I want to be prepared for whatever. Thoughts/opinions?
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    I imagined this giant spartan, with a Boeing jet engine on it. Standing backflips with a boat. Yeah...... But this will work too. Good luck!!
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by commando5184 View Post
    I imagined this giant spartan, with a Boeing jet engine on it. Standing backflips with a boat. Yeah...... But this will work too. Good luck!!
    yea that'd be insane.... Would a couple of vxl 3m's be enough to get it to plane-out?

So what would y'all suggest for stabilizers since I plan to dish the prop and the rubber.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-13-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: merge
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    I have zero experience with jet drives, so I may be completely off base here, but just a thought for consideration during the design phase.

It appears these jets are designed to be mounted with the inlet inserted through a hole cut into the bottom of the hull.

If you are planning to mount two of them, they will need to be spaced far enough apart to allow room for the motors with cooling jackets installed.

Because of the steep V design of the Spartan hull, The inlets to the jets may come out of the water when the Spartan rises up on plane

Just a thought

hog

RC Champion
    Yea I was thinking about that. When I get the boat, I will do some measuring, researching, and rough designs. If I can't do the dual jet then I will look into this (http://m.ebay.com/itm/400652164882?nav=SEARCH) which will require a larger motor with a 5 mm shaft. I would get a single one of these and I would have to machine a inlet with a V design as the inlet is square and flat. I'll see what my plans will be soon.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    You should take a look at offshore electrics site, they have a Jetpump on there.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasERBE View Post
    You should take a look at offshore electrics site, they have a Jetpump on there.

Saw one for $100 but I'd rather save $25 and get the heavy duty longer one I mentioned above.

Alright so I got this down. I'm going to do the vxl 6s combo, KMB jet drive in the center (gonna have to draw up the adapter and send the drawing to a local machine shop. Shouldn't cost too much for a small piece of 7075 aluminum), and I will do a pair spc 2s lipos to be run as 4s. Do y'all know if the vxl 6s motor has a 3mm shaft or 5mm? I would need a 5mm. I found a water pickup on offshore electrics that I will mount somehow... Idk, I may even add the water pickup to the machined adapter... But we'll see... All depends on if I can get the jet drive low enough. I may even have the end of the jet drive nozzle machined out of aluminum.... Guess I gotta make some new friends at the machine shop as I will be there often it seems.

Do y'all know if anyone has ever done this? From my search, its seems I'm the first to do it with the Spartan.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-13-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: merge
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jesQs9bOR3Y

Traxxas spartan mod. 2- 2cell Thunderpower 6000mah Lipos powering a watercooled 60amp ESC to a 1500kv 6 pole brushless watercooled motor, 2 to 1 gearing to a 40mm Graupner jet.
    Last edited by TexasERBE; 06-29-2014 at 06:33 PM.

RC Champion
    So yea. No graupner jets to be found. They're only available in Europe and changed from to $ makes one close to $250.... I think $75 for a decent one will work unless I stumble upon one during this build.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Here is the another JetDrive build out of a different hull: OSE

You might have better luck posting a wanted ad for that Graupner: OSE Again

That FASTech hull is Fiberglass, the Spartan is ABS.

EDIT: Another project at OSE

Stock Spartan motor had 5mm shaft.

This guy always has cool boat stuff up for sale: Ebay
    Last edited by TexasERBE; 06-29-2014 at 09:45 PM.

RC Champion
    Yea I saw that account. I was looking to see if it would be worth it to buy a graupner boat and strip the jet drive out and whatever else I might like. Probably won't but never know.

So slight change of plans. I'm gonna ditch the mxl 6s idea and go with leopard 1600kv with mystery 200a esc combo. I will be doing the KMB jet drive with adapter for the standard motor size and the shaft extension. So minus the batteries, my cost into this project will be:
    Motor/esc: $150
    Cnc machined trim tabs: $60
    KMB 28mm jetdrive w/ motor adapter: $110
    Unsure of what lipos yet:$100
    Machined adapter/pickup: unknown
    Not sure if I want to do turn fins yet: unknown

Total: $420ish.... This build will probably take at least a month anyway. So hopefully funds wont be an issue.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-13-2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: merge
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier

Spartan jet boat build

I just replied to you but here is what I blabbered about:

I am unsure of that ESC/motor in the Jetbuild application... Not saying it won't work, I have just never used a jetboat before! Check out rc lighthouse on eBay for some leds, I would stay with 4s, then warp on 5s, and if you feel the need 6s.
    I would stick with stock trim tabs. You can get the adjusters add-on. Boats require a higher C rating, a "normal" Spartan I feel comfortable with recommending 60C+, again I have NO idea why amps you'll pull!
    Last edited by TexasERBE; 06-30-2014 at 05:52 PM.

RC Champion
    Well i don't think I will need to make machined adapter plate as the KMB jet drive is plastic and I believe I can shave it to fit perfectly in deep V hull. I also believe it will have enough water displacement to continue pumping good. I will probably rake the cut on the jet so that it is angled slightly downward. I'm still thinking about machining an end nozzle for the KMB jetdrive as I may be limited in turning with the plastic one because its short. Well hopefully I don't shatter the driveline/prop with the leopard motor. If I do, then another trip to the machine shop it is. Just my thoughts of the night... Thursday I'll have the shell then I'll order the KMB drive and go from there. I know I will drive this boat every weekend till it breaks.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Hot Racing has decided to pursue the Marine line... Takes look at there page for the Spartan..

RC Champion
    Hot Racing has decided to pursue the Marine line... Takes look at there page for the Spartan..

love hot racing stuff. I'll look into them. If they have goo turn fins and stabilizers then I'll pick up a couple.
    Well gotta wait for their stuff to come in stock but they look all the same so I'll go with what I can find for a decent price. I'm talking with the owner of Mike's in H-town to figure out his pricing for Spartan parts.
    Last edited by ManDime; 07-06-2014 at 10:54 PM.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    I am sure you know but "stabilizers" are usually referred I as Trim Tabs. Take a look at Kintec Racing too, they have a nice selection.

RC Champion
    I am sure you know but "stabilizers" are usually referred I as Trim Tabs. Take a look at Kintec Racing too, they have a nice selection.

lol yea on 1/1 scale, I've always thought of them as stabilizers (not sure why now) so the word kinda stuck.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    lol yea on 1/1 scale, I've always thought of them as stabilizers (not sure why now) so the word kinda stuck.
    Multiple names for everything!

RC Champion
    Multiple names for everything!

lol no kiddin.

Got an update for yall! Finally got around to getting my blank canvas!

Should be fun with project.

Alright so the kmb 28mm jet drive isn't big enough. So I found the graupner 49mm jet drive model 5 (http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/ac...et_Drives.html) and it would be perfect.... But its $289 so I will be saving up all next month to get it. Anyone know where to find a motor mount to fit it?

Well I found 30mm jet drive that has a 3 blade impellar here:http://www.shop.mickiebeez.com/30mm-...it-mbz-001.htm
    And its cheaper than the kmb unit and better built! Well maybe I can make this a quality build and a cheap one too!

Here's a pic of the cut i will make to mount a carbon fiber plate so that the jet drive can sit on something sturdy and flat.

Here's the carbon fiber i'll use: http://dragonplate.com/ecart/product...ID=3976&cID=94
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Keep us updated;D Some of us might not comment, but i've been following this build sense post #1.
    2400kv rusty ~ 4100kv merv
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by xNitroAddictx View Post
    Keep us updated;D Some of us might not comment, but i've been following this build sense post #1.

lol I was a little astonished by the views. I'll keep y'all updating but I just ordered some carbon fiber and waiting for that to come in before I make any cuts. I also will be getting a good paying job next week so this job will be more action and pieces installed than pieces talked about.

Got the carbon fiber but it was too late to do any cutting but i thought i'd show yall the pic of it:

It is 1.5mm carbon fiber and it is quite sturdy for the size which will be perfect for a boat but not a car. I may use the excess for internals if need be.

I haven't updated yall guys in forever. My bad.... But being tight on money makes me shelve things for awhile. So I finished putting on the carbon fiber plate and it is not sealed yet. Gotta do some cocking. I'll get pictures up in a moment. I also got a 2400kv motor I was originally gonna use in my sl4sh but I decided it would accompany the jet drive well and will only be slightly over the rpm suggested limit of the Mickieb jet unit.... Well 7000 rpm over but I think of it as a way to work on throttle control. I will also be trying this esc: http://m.ebay.com/itm/271594141978?nav=SEARCH
    Let me know what your thoughts are on the esc. I know its cheap but its not a bad place to start.

Here's where i am at:

I plan to be ordering the jet drive saturday.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Is there any way you can move the motor forward a few inches? I think your CG is going to be too far back. What voltage are you planning to run with that motor? I would suggest a **** for the ESC for whatever motor you choose they are very reliable and cheap. Hope this helps