RC Enthusiast

Lightbulb Emaxx conversion

Hi,

So, I have a original emaxx(the one with two speed) and am wondering what all it would take to make it into a new emaxx with a bl system. I already have a MMM and 2200kv lying around. I think I heard somewhere that the bulks and arms are all the same between the two. So does this mean all I need is a chassis and trans? I know for sure the little plastic drive shafts(two are twisted and one is really thin) arent going to handle the BL power. Coming from the ERBE world im a little in the dark here. Help anyone?

Thanks

-PP

RC poster
    I have a 3906 E-Maxx (The old one) and I am currently upgrading it to the newer styled E-Maxx. Technically you could just pop in the new motor and it would work but you will start to break things. In order to make it stronger you should get the new tranny, the transmission from the 3903/3905/3908 are all the same, and with it the new chassis. If you do this you will also need to get new center driveshafts that are the right length for the new chassis. #5151r are the traxxas steel shafts, but there are other options. Another common option is the FLM Aluminum chassis which comes with center driveshafts.

The A-Arm length could be shorter or the same as the new E-Maxx arms, because there are two styles of the original E-Maxx. If you post some pictures of the arms someone would be able to tell you which one you had.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot Ryzhuu.

Actually the 2200kv wont fit the mount plate or allow room for the batteries. The battery boxes just wont fit my 5000mah 3s.

Yeah ive been looking at the FLM chassis. Looks pretty sweet especially for the price.

I have the widemaxx version. The Arms have 3 big holes,not 4 like the narrow one.

So far im here:

New Emaxx chassis
    New Emaxx tranny
    MiP or similar drive shafts
    17mm Hex conversion
    2200kv MMM
    3s Lipo
    New Body shell-Pro-line Raptor
    Savox servo
    Spektrum RX
    Pro-line Masher or Shockwave on 1/2in tech 5 or desparado.

...aaand im up to the price of a new emaxx roller. lol This is where i need help.

RC poster
    If you are going to get new axles/driveshafts for it you shouldn't have to replace the a-arms, but you may have to replace the axle carriers.

I would definitely recommend getting the FLM chassis as it is only about 20 dollars more than buying the new (stock) chassis with braces and center driveshafts.

EDIT: I have the 2200kv motor in mine, I was able to get it to fit by barely shaving the transmission case with a dremel.
    Last edited by Ryzhuu; 06-26-2014 at 02:18 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    oh yeah forgot about carriers. Umm maybe rpm would be good for this application.

Yeah at 20 more it would make more sense to get the FLM.

Any other durability points i should consider?

-PP

RC poster
    I have heard bad things about the RPM carriers, but you should do your own research on them.

Bulkheads are a weak point on both the new and old E-Maxx. RPM or Aluminum would be fine, just depends on your preference. Many people upgrade to 1/8th scale differentials, and if you did that then you would need different bulkheads, but depending on how you drive you could be okay with the stock ones or the newer stock ones.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, thanks ill take a better look at the rpm ones. Just trying to get some ideas out here to play with before i go and buy anything. Yeah I was looking at the bulks that would allow 1/8 diffs. I think I would be fine with the stock ones though as I have run a e-revo on BL for 3 years and never blew a bulk. Must be a gentle driver or something. lol

Thanks
    -PP

RC poster
    If you are a basher and plan on flipping the truck often, then you might want to get RPM or Aluminum shock towers.. Good luck with your build

RC Enthusiast
    Cool cool. Thanks, yeah ill see if i find the time to make it happen. Not sure what direction i want to go with this project.
    Thanks again,

-PP