RC Qualifier

lipo storage voltage?

I have seen it asked but never answered. There has to be a better way.

The 1/2 of full charge timing thing gets me every time, I cant babysit all these batteries, I forget and then there fully charged, and no way to discharge em w out wasting precious run time of the motors.

I have the ez peak plus charger for all my other traxxas vehicles.

Is there a way to set it to store these things?

Need to know amps to charge at, and voltage to stop at THANKS!!!

( acording to traxxas its NOT 3.8 volts so please dont chime in with that answer )

RC Qualifier
    Trying to answer my own question, had a thought. Fully charged = 4.18v

Half charging another one, hope I remember to take it off the charger!!!

3.84v at half charge the traxxas way. HMMMMMMMMMM

I am going to run this test 3 more times tomorow. dead - storage- full
    Last edited by knall; 06-24-2014 at 01:40 AM.

RC Qualifier
    the answer you have seen is the answer that Traxxas will give you. I do not know why their batteries are different, it has never been explained, but I follow the accepted industry method for storage of all lipos... 3.8v, and never had a issue with doing so, nor has anyone else who has followed that method . as far as the amps go... storage is best done at a 1C rating. since these are 650mah... I just use .6A, but others may have a different opinion or advice .
    Gave up waiting for yellow and went brushless.

If you have the EZ Peak Plus just get a JST lead for the charger, set it to storage mode for a single cell LiPo and put it on 0.6A. It'll do the rest, charge or discharge as needed.

If you fly as much as I do (at least a few times a week) you can just leave them charged. It will not hurt the batteries to charge them today for flight tomorrow or in a day or two. It's when you leave them sitting fully charged for week(s) or more you might run in to issues.

RC Competitor
    Over time, rechargeable batteries become less and less like new. The chemicals therein get 'used up,' as it were. Eventually, they must be replaced.

I suggest that, after charging them, you use them up as completely as possible before recharging.

Nowhere in the manual does it specifically state
    Quote Originally Posted by knall
    acording [sic] to traxxas [sic] its NOT 3.8 volts so please dont [sic] chime in with that answer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias manual
    If you do not plan to fly your model for a week or more, store the battery approximately
    50% charged to maintain battery performance and life. To achieve a 50% charge, fly the
    model until the battery requires recharging. Charge the battery for half the time typically
    required to fully charge the battery.
    So what is the actual numerical voltage for 50%? Look across RC forums and even battery manufacturers and sellers and they agree that storage voltage is 3.8-3.85v. I use my battery charger for the Alias batteries and all four get stored at 3.8v.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Yep, you guys are right. 3.8 is storage voltage, .6 amps is a good charge rate.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by knall View Post
    I have seen it asked but never answered. There has to be a better way.

The 1/2 of full charge timing thing gets me every time, I cant babysit all these batteries, I forget and then there fully charged, and no way to discharge em w out wasting precious run time of the motors.

I have the ez peak plus charger for all my other traxxas vehicles.

Is there a way to set it to store these things?

Need to know amps to charge at, and voltage to stop at THANKS!!!

( acording to traxxas its NOT 3.8 volts so please dont chime in with that answer )
    I would charge them fully and store them, or if you want, just charge them for a bit and then store them. Either way I wouldn't be worrying about it too much, these batteries are like $10...

If you have the EZ Peak Plus or other smart charger just get yourself a charge lead to match the connector on the Alias battery and use the Storage Mode, it will automatically charge or discharge a battery to the proper level for storage.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    If you have the EZ Peak Plus or other smart charger just get yourself a charge lead to match the connector on the Alias battery and use the Storage Mode, it will automatically charge or discharge a battery to the proper level for storage.
    Still needed to know .6 amps

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    I would charge them fully and store them, or if you want, just charge them for a bit and then store them. Either way I wouldn't be worrying about it too much, these batteries are like $10...

If your just throwing tens around....... ya want my adress???

RC Qualifier
    No, sorry, no spares $10's lying around - I don't have enough for myself! lol I just meant that you seem to be worried about treating these batteries perfectly and if they cost $50-100 each I could see wanting to prolong the life as much as possible, but I think the truth is with these small batts there are so many variables that even doing everything perfect they may last a month or two longer.

The batts are going to die eventually no matter what you do