RC poster

Yes another 3906 still lives

Hi All.
    I'm relatively new here and recently got another Emaxx.
    Its a 3906 but very clean and hardly used.
    Don't know why, but I just like these old Emaxxes, had one a couple of years ago to.
    I right away swapped it over to Lipo's and did a small mod on the gear cover to make the hard packs fit.
    Running 2x 5200 50C packs.
    There is plans for brushless in the future but just enjoying the truck at the moment.
    I had it on our local 1:10 electric off road track this weekend just to see how it would do, as I race short course and never had a monster truck on a track and wanted to see if it can go around the track.
    I was pleasantly surprises about how well the truck does on the track, did not expect it at all.
    I could clear all the jumps and follow the same line as I do in my sct so was happy with that, and I must say its something els seeing this big lump flying over a double step up jump..

But like have read on allot of threads, the stock bulkheads is very week, and yes they failed as promised.
    Everything on this truck is std, except for the lipo conversion and running a Savox 30Kg servo, and controlled from my 4PL.
    I will be looking at getting Alu bulkheads and maybe RPM shock towers, but I don't know about that as I read in another thread that the RPM towers flex and cause the shock caps to pop off and really not in the mood for that, so might get the alu shock towers too.
    I do not want this car to become a money pit (easier said than done) but just want to get it to survive a track visit every now and then.
    Will also be doing the diff upgrade to Revo spec and do the drive shafts and axle carriers too.
    Will maybe also lock the trans in 2nd, as I don't really use it and the truck will probably spend most of its time on track, not racing though as we don't have a class for it, but I like bashing on track rather than in the field.

RC poster
    Just another question, how do I tell if my Maxx is the narrow (old) or wide (newer)version, I don't have another Emaxx close to me to compare, is there something I can look for or measure?

RC Qualifier
    Show us some pics and we will tell you.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC poster

Hi Charel, I to love the old 3906 Emaxx. You have the wide Emaxx.

I would like to see a "small mod" to the gear cover that would allow standard sized 2S hardcased LiPos to fit. I checked again today and I believe I would have to modify both the gear cover and the motor plate by removing the lower screw attachment point on each side to get my Lipos to fit.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-24-2014 at 12:04 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BuiltFORDTuff View Post
    Hi Charel, I to love the old 3906 Emaxx. You have the wide Emaxx.
    Thank you for letting me know, but how do you tell?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I would like to see a "small mod" to the gear cover that would allow standard sized 2S hardcased LiPos to fit. I checked again today and I believe I would have to modify both the gear cover and the motor plate by removing the lower screw attachment point on each side to get my Lipos to fit.
    I don't have a pic with me but will take one tonight, but here is a pic showing what to remove.
    In the pic you will see I circled two sections on the gear cover, these tabs I believe was ment to keep the motor wires in place but they don't fit in there anyway so no need for them.
    Take your dremel or file and shave those tabs off level with the rest of the cover ridge.
    This is all I had to do to get my lipo's to fit. It is still a little tight fit, but works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Charel View Post
    I don't have a pic with me but will take one tonight, but here is a pic showing what to remove.
    In the pic you will see I circled two sections on the gear cover, these tabs I believe was ment to keep the motor wires in place but they don't fit in there anyway so no need for them.
    Take your dremel or file and shave those tabs off level with the rest of the cover ridge.
    This is all I had to do to get my lipo's to fit. It is still a little tight fit, but works great.

That is exactly what I thought you meant, but I still don't see it working for me because I removed the cover and the motor plate (p/n 3990) was STILL in the way. I'd have to remove the bottom screws (adjacent to your red loops) and the portion of the plate to which they attach.

What is the height of your packs? (Millimeters would be good.)

Thank you for letting me know, but how do you tell?
    Upper arms. The spearhead-shaped outboard void/hole opening is split in two on the narrow arms.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-24-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Narrow:

Wide:

Pics from a different thread:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...T-new-to-nitro

I didn't know they widened them.
    I still have my old 3906 as well and just learned it's the wide E-Maxx!

RC poster
    That is exactly what I thought you meant, but I still don't see it working for me because I removed the cover and the motor plate (p/n 3990) was STILL in the way. I'd have to remove the bottom screws (adjacent to your red loops) and the portion of the plate to which they attach.

What is the height of your packs? (Millimeters would be good.)

Upper arms. The spearhead-shaped outboard void/hole opening is split in two on the narrow arms.

That is very weird, I have 3 different tips of Lipo's and they all fit...
    Thanx for showing me the differance between the narrow and wide maxx.
    Let me know if you get the Lipo's fitted, cause that is what I also did, removed the gear cover and it fit. Remember my Lipo's don't just fall into place I have to press them in and do it on a angle

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Narrow:

Wide:

Thanx buddy.
    I'm very glad to know I at least have the wide maxx.

That is very weird, I have 3 different tips of Lipo's and they all fit...
    Thanx for showing me the differance between the narrow and wide maxx.
    Let me know if you get the Lipo's fitted, cause that is what I also did, removed the gear cover and it fit. Remember my Lipo's don't just fall into place I have to press them in and do it on a angle
    Thanks much for the thorough reply!

I think may have discovered the reason for my difficulty. It seems the current owner - I'm working on this for a friend - installed some very thin cushions on the chassis ribs. Their very minimal height and grippyness could be just enough to make the hardcased packs a no-go.
    Having never worked on an E-Maxx, I am not sure whether those were standard issue from the factory or added later.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-25-2014 at 07:29 AM.

RC poster
    It a pleasure.
    That make perfect sense now.. if there is anything on the bottom of the battery tray like the foams you are talking about that will definitely cause the lipo's not to fit, because they barley fit as it is.
    Ask the owner if you can remove the foam and I'm sure you will get those lipo's in there quickly.

It seems the current owner - I'm working on this for a friend - installed some very thin cushions on the chassis ribs. Their very minimal height and grippyness could be just enough to make the hardcased packs a no-go.
    Having never worked on an E-Maxx, I am not sure whether those were standard issue from the factory or added later.
    Those pads didn't come installed on the truck (mine weren't, at least), but they did come with it.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

No pads in mine either. I don't remember if it came with them or not... that was +10 years ago!

No pads in mine either. I don't remember if it came with them or not... that was +10 years ago!
    That's funny. It is coming up on a full 13 years for me and I still remember installing those pads and those little stick-on foam body washers that didn't last long. Of course, my mind is weird like that!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

I took that picture a few days ago, but didn't get any shots from the top side of the chassis.
    Who knows... maybe I did install them and forgot about it.

Hmmm... I'll have to pull it back out of the garage and see if the pads are actually on the ribs.

When I find out I'll have to take some pics and post them here!

I guess I do have them on!
    I didn't remember them as thin cushions... it was just strips of thin foam tape!

Here are the pics I just took:

Again, thanks for the help , gentlemen!

RC poster
    So did you get to remove the foam pads?

Not yet. I've had enough time to bake a tire off a wheel (the last remaining damage from getting run over by an SUV, I'm told!), remove the remaining glue residue from the good original tire using a Dremel sanding drum, reglue said tire on an new satin wheel, change the very tired 2055 servo for a tired 2075 servo, remove the Tamiya style molex connectors and solder on Traxxas style connectors, procure a NIB TQ3 AM radio...etc.
    I may get to it tomorrow, and almost definitely before the next round of parts for this comes in. I have a nice pair of old SPC 5000mAh softcased packs that fit well without any mods. Their height is much less than standard.

RC poster
    Okay nice.
    Glad to hear the rebuild is going well.
    If you have lipo soft packs that works then yes use them, its not like its going to race where your obligated to use hard packs.
    You have more patience than me for trying to unglue tires from rims, I heard of the oven method but have not tried it and too scared it will warp the rim, but in your case I take it your not worried about the rim but more the tires..

So did you get to remove the foam pads?
    A late followup: Recently a pair of SPC 2S/50C/5000mAh (cf-look) hard case packs were purchased for the 3906. With the removal of the foam strips in the battery bays and the careful trimming of these areas:

the packs fit very snugly. Obviously, an LVA is installed because the original EVX is not LiPo-compatible. The wires were re-routed over the gear cover.

Many thanks to Charel (again) for the hints.

RC poster
    Narrow:

Wide:

Thanks for asking this question. I now know I too have a wide 3906.