RC Racer

Funny car motor and ESC in Slash

Anyone used the Funny car ESC and Motor in there Slash? How do they compare to stock, castle etc?
    USAF, Retired
    ERBE, Dewalt EMaxx, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    I run this combo along with many issues and don't run into any problems with it. It is a tight squeeze with the LCG chassis but it'll fit with no issues. Globs of torque on this combo and it runs really cold so it can be geared pretty high with no problems. I haven't run it on lipo yet but on NIMH and 2s it will run slow so 3s is needed for it to run well. Just overall a great combo that can be had for a very low price, the esc isn't waterproof and that's the only con I can think of. So jump on it and get'er in your truck.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    Ya its a good combo I hear. I haven't upgraded yet but el sob ran it too I think and he liked it as well

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by guy45ot View Post
    Ya its a good combo I hear. I haven't upgraded yet but el sob ran it too I think and he liked it as well
    El Sob, Diggerpede, and Wolfslash all run them along side of me (I believe) and it's a no brainer for how cheap you can get them. You need a castle link cable to go with it in order to get it set up in the slash though, another $25.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    I run this combo along with many issues and don't run into any problems with it. It is a tight squeeze with the LCG chassis but it'll fit with no issues. Globs of torque on this combo and it runs really cold so it can be geared pretty high with no problems. I haven't run it on lipo yet but on NIMH and 2s it will run slow so 3s is needed for it to run well. Just overall a great combo that can be had for a very low price, the esc isn't waterproof and that's the only con I can think of. So jump on it and get'er in your truck.
    You haven't run it using LiPo batteries? What are you using, just 7cell Nimh? I can't see it performing very well on that.

El Sob, Diggerpede, and Wolfslash all run them along side of me (I believe) and it's a no brainer for how cheap you can get them. You need a castle link cable to go with it in order to get it set up in the slash though, another $25.
    You are correct my friend! I run this motor system and absolutely love it! So much power and torque for $100.00 off eBay! I beat on it hard and it keeps coming back for more. Here is a video of it running for you
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    I just installed this system today and it runs great. With the stock system and a 2s lipo I had to gear down to an 11t pinion to drive on grass and the motor was still too hot. I really needed to throw a 9t pinion in there but then I would be out of options if I added anything that increased the weight or the rolling resistance.

I put this baby in today and I was finally able to put my shroud on (Keeps all the grass and junk out of the chassis), run two packs back to back (couldn't do that before), and zip around at a much faster speed. All of this with a higher gear ratio (settled on 18/54) and lower temps. After the first battery from the back to back packs my temp was around 145 and after the second I hit 163. My old motor would hit 160 - 175 in just one pack and that was without the shroud. I also have the option to easily gear lower if needed and gear higher for running on other surfaces or running without the shroud.

The only issues I have with this system is the wires are VERY short and the shaft also seems to be a bit shorter than the stock system. You have to let the pinions hang off the shaft a bit to get proper gear mesh. I'm not sure if this will cause an issue or not. I have to do some research to find out.
    Last edited by Silly Old Boy; 06-24-2014 at 02:49 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Old Boy View Post
    The only issues I have with this system is the wires are VERY short and the shaft also seems to be a bit shorter than the stock system. You have to let the pinions hang off the shaft a bit to get proper gear mesh. I'm not sure if this will cause an issue or not. I have to do some research to find out.
    I've never run into any problems with the pinion hanging off slightly and the wires are indeed very short, but it keeps everything neat and tidy in the chassis. Have fun with the new combo!

RC Qualifier
    The shaft is 5mm shorter than the one on the stock motor. It is a pretty noticeable difference and it makes it difficult to get the pinion in the correct place unless you let it overhang the shaft or you do not center it on the spur. It is possible they changed the shaft length recently, but I doubt it.

I have the motor system and had absolutely no problem with putting the pinion on it. If it barely fits one way, try turning the other way to see if it is a better fit.
    Last edited by El Sob; 06-25-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier

It's on there but, as you can see in the pic, the shaft barely reaches the spur gear. It doesn't even make it halfway across. When I have the pinion in place (in the center of the spur) it hangs off the shaft just a little bit. I assume it will be ok since it is such a small amount. The stock motor shaft is much longer and it sticks out of the end of the pinion quite a bit. I can't turn the pinion around because there would be nothing under the set screw for it to hold on to.
    Last edited by Silly Old Boy; 06-26-2014 at 02:12 AM.

Nice! You remembered who had the system! I love the combo, although mine might be a tad different. I'm running the ET-3s paired with the Losi 2800kv motor. I waterproofed my ET-3s, and I still don't have issues with heat at all using 3s in the heat of summer.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Old Boy View Post

It's on there but, as you can see in the pic, the shaft barely reaches the spur gear. It doesn't even make it halfway across. When I have the pinion in place (in the center of the spur) it hangs off the shaft just a little bit. I assume it will be ok since it is such a small amount. The stock motor shaft is much longer and it sticks out of the end of the pinion quite a bit. I can't turn the pinion around because there would be nothing under the set screw for it to hold on to.
    No worries mine is the same way.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. Thank you Sean.