Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

The camera is releasing soon...

RC Qualifier
    I Pre-ordered one in early April from them.....

at the time it said mid may.. then early june.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    I was going to pre-order one as well, but saw the release date moved out again, so, I will wait until I actually see it in stock with the supplier I use.
    I do have a question regarding it though...
    will it have a USB cable to connect it to the pc without having to remove the card for downloading pics and video, or will it require removing the card and putting it directly in to a pc?
    thanks!
    "Yellow" really is the fastest color... seriously!

RC Qualifier
    to save WEIGHT not to mention cost.... I would assume you need to remove the card.

RC poster
    I had it on back order from Tower, but I cancelled it because this thing is unreliable... been through 5 motors already. They just keep dying.

RC poster
    How long do we have to wait for this hyped Alias gadget? The motors and the camera are really a no go at the moment for the most Alias owners.

Ok i have the Alias for almost two months no. I thought, nice design and great a camera option! And very easy to use, its all blabla. Yes there is an upgrade a white body, great! Not it isn't really a upgrade it is a option. The LED bar, why do we need it? Whats the point Traxxas?? In the mean time i have bought already a new set of after-market motors, 40 bucks! And still there is no camera yet. So im doing flips for two months now. My bearings is the next replacement cause this is also not the quality i want it to be. Come on Traxxas one word please?

RC poster
    Does anyone know why the camera availability date keeps changing? Are there design problems?

RC Qualifier
    How long did it take for the GPS module?

RC Enthusiast
    What GPS Module?

RC poster
    I plan to order the camera, but I'm concerned that the video card doesn't come with the camera. Where would you get the card if it doesn't come with the camera? Taxxas doesn't seem to have any information about this. I'm concerned that the Alias isn't reliable enough to support this add on. Motors seem to fry for no reason. Looks like this may be nothing more than a money pit.

RC Racer
    I agree with knall, the gps module took a while.

The card is probably just a micro SD which you can get just about anywhere for $10.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by kwyatt View Post
    I plan to order the camera, but I'm concerned that the video card doesn't come with the camera. Where would you get the card if it doesn't come with the camera? Taxxas doesn't seem to have any information about this. I'm concerned that the Alias isn't reliable enough to support this add on. Motors seem to fry for no reason. Looks like this may be nothing more than a money pit.
    dude so many stores have microsd cards. they are extremely common just ask for a 4gb or 8b microsd card and it will be less than 10$ i would advise ordering online.

RC poster
    The motors can't handle the weight of the camera. This is the reason why it takes so long.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogers View Post
    The motors can't handle the weight of the camera. This is the reason why it takes so long.
    source? you work for Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    if the Alias can handle an 808 or a Mobius, and many are flying fine with these, then it can handle the weight of a camera made by Traxxas for the Alias . what ever the delay is, I would rather they do what they are doing, dealing with it before they release it, rather than have it released and have to deal with a bunch of issues after the fact.

it will undoutbtably be a micro SD card. this is the platform used in all the micro cameras I have seen. one thing to keep in mind when buying is the "class" of the card. the 808 for example recommends not to go below a class 6, if I remember right? the class of the card determines how good the video quality will be. the higher the class... the better the quality of the video it will produce. the price is also higher as the class of the card increases. I bought a 16gb class 10 card (two years ago) for my 808 from wally world... it was $26. it came with a SD adapter that you just pop the micro card in to, then insert in to the card reader of your pc, for pc's equipped with one.
    Last edited by spoonerrw; 07-02-2014 at 10:21 AM.

RC poster
    I just ordered an Alias and camera from Jegs tonight. The heli ships today, the camera ships July 7th! I hope that's accurate.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2014Soul View Post
    I just ordered an Alias and camera from Jegs tonight. The heli ships today, the camera ships July 7th! I hope that's accurate.
    Did it ship ???

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by knall View Post
    Did it ship ???
    Nope. If you go to the website the expected ship date is now 7/21 but I got an email from Jegs today saying its expected to ship 8/5

RC Qualifier
    keep us posted, we ALL want to know.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by knall View Post
    keep us posted, we ALL want to know.
    Jegs website is also updated to 8/5. Most other websites don't list an actual date any more though.

RC Qualifier
    for those interested... the camera and wide angle lens are in stock at Mark Twain hobby and they are not gonna last long... they now have 88 in stock... and counting .

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    for those interested... the camera and wide angle lens are in stock at Mark Twain hobby and they are not gonna last long... they now have 88 in stock... and counting .
    Now they have 87 in stock

RC Racer
    I ordered yesterday when they had 92

RC Qualifier
    when its in your hot little fingers let us know. I have seen them online available for MONTHS.

RC Qualifier
    I picked up a card at wally world for mine... class 10 and 32 gigs for $24. it should do very nicely in this cam . since I will be switching from light bar to camera back and forth... I will be very interested to see how the Tx handles the programming change when I need to do this, especially since I use one TX to fly two different models.

RC Qualifier
    mine shipped from Tower yesterday. Camera only, the wide angle lens is still on backorder with them

RC Enthusiast
    My Camera and lens shipped from Mark Twain Hobby yesterday and I have a tracking number.

RC Racer
    My cam and lens showed up from MTH today.

Vid soon.

RC Competitor
    On this side of Eternity, which means Texas for now
    will it have a USB cable to connect it to the pc without having to remove the card for downloading pics and video, or will it require removing the card and putting it directly in to a pc?
    thanks!
    The SD card will need to be removed and plugged into the PC (if your PC can read a micro-SD card) or inserted into a micro-SD card reader.

The upside is that there's no cable to worry about loosing or damaging.

RC Competitor
    On this side of Eternity, which means Texas for now
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoVW72 View Post
    My cam and lens showed up from MTH today.

Vid soon.
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Side note, I like the color choices for your Alias. Very Sonic-the-Hedgehog-esque. (At least that's what I thought of.)

RC Qualifier
    Wow its realy here!!!!

RC Qualifier
    mine should be in hand in a day or two, and I also have a white Alias ready to be mated with it. cant wait to give it a run and looking forward to seeing videos from everyone else who gets theirs .

hey Geo... how is the clearance underneath with it?

RC Qualifier
    mine should be in hand in a day or two, and I also have a white Alias ready to be mated with it. cant wait to give it a run and looking forward to seeing videos from everyone else who gets theirs .

hey Geo... how is the clearance underneath with it?
    Good question about clearance..... mine always lands upside down anyways LOL, but maybee the weight of this will "correct" this.

RC Racer
    I wasn't the best day to fly. It was a little windy, and I still had some old holed motors in it. Didn't want to loose it on the first day.

Not sure why it jelloed, some of the clips I had were better than others. Some of the pics are good.

Some are blured

The instruction sheet isn't all that great, but it gets the point across.

The lens is the whole image sensor, and you just remove the ribbon from the board.

One thing I noticed using it was it wanted a press to complete and action. Just tapping and hearing the chirp wasn't always successful in completing the action.

There isn't much clearance, maybe that was the holdup. The status led has the ring around it to keep the board from being damaged. Even slightly rough landings on pavement have put a few scratches on the low hanging parts. They do their job, but it makes it almost impossible to see the status led unless it's directly over you. The transmitter has status, but you can't really look down at it.

RC Enthusiast
    GeoVW72:

What size and class MicroSD card are you using?

RC Qualifier
    the video looked very good and the jello may have been due to the wind? it looked like it was fighting a little more than a breeze but the quality was very good. the pics are very nice .

how was the balance of the heli with the camera? have you tried doing any flips or rolls with it to see how it recovers from them? any loss of power or performance that you noticed?

so it uses both AUX buttons? is there a flight mode preference specified? if I fly in expert mode with this camera then I am guessing the camera disables the panic button (auto recover on aux 1) as well as the auto stunts in beginner and exp1 modes? when you attached it and it programmed the Tx, were there any other changes that occurred in the Tx programming? sorry for all the questions Geo, but the light bar changed programming in the Tx that was not covered in the little instruction sheet that came with it.

the clearance you describe is what I expected. I have these little self stick felcro "dots" that are 1/2" diameter and may just put a couple on to protect it from scratches.

thanks for posting the vid, pics, and information... very much appreciated!

RC Racer
    rdw50: I have an 8gb class 4, and a 16gb HC that I can't find a class on. both sandisk.

spoonerrw: Not sure what causes the jello, maybe pack voltage, or the wind.

My old motors are already low on performance, so I can't really tell a difference. The balance seems good, I'll have to put a new set of motors in and try again.

Aux 1 is photo, and aux 2 is video, no flight mode recommendations. We found out with the light bar that it reprograms the flip and panic button.
    I had the light bar on the quad and had changed the aux 1 to f1, the cam reprogrammed it again to aux 1&2.

I wounder if a lego button would fit on the led socket and improve visibility. I can always print something

I'll put some new no hole motors in and try getting some flip vids.

RC poster
    Can you tell us how much the video camera weighs? Some specs on the weight would be really helpful! Thanks

RC Qualifier
    thanks Geo... great information and much appreciated . will be looking forward to further videos, pics, and stunt testing with the camera . I would test mine, but, it seems it got put on the wrong truck and ended up on a sight seeing tour somewhere in California! will be a few more days while it gets re-routed back to the east about 2000 miles or so .

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by chicomathrc View Post
    Can you tell us how much the video camera weighs? Some specs on the weight would be really helpful! Thanks
    Would love to, but my digital scale disappeared somewhere.

Sorry to hear about your cam spoonerrw. I hope it brings back some cool pics.

It was nice and calm this morning, so I sent my Alias up as high as I dared.

New motors and props seems to have fixed the jello issue.
    It seems to me that the remote and camera don't always match up with the recording status. Not sure how much "talking" they do, seems like pressing and holding for a half sec is required. I'd pay more attention to the led on the quad.

Knall: not sure that the cam will help keep it from landing upside-down, I cut the power descending and on one occasion it inverted: http://youtu.be/IThySpApw2A?list=UUJ...cWx_9gndSKpGfQ
    I pretty much fly in exp1 and it righted when it powered up.