RC poster

Question spartan mamba monster conversion help

I have an e revo brush less edition with a mamba monster 2200kv motor and waterproof ESC in it. And I have been wanting to get a spartan but I am planning on just getting everything on the spartan except for the electronics. So what I am wanting to do is whenever I want to drive the spartan I will just take out the electronics out of the e revo and put them in the boat but I am going to get an extra servo for the boat because they don't cost as much butso far I have heard that the motor shaft size of the stock motor in the spartan and the mamba monster 2200 kV motor have the same shaft size (5mm). So that fits but will the mamba monster motor be able to mount properly to the electronics tray? And I have also heard that the mamba monster motor has a lot more rpm then the spartan stock shaft can handle so should I get an after market one? And I have a fan for the motor and ESC but I'm guessing that doesn't help much in a sealed compartment so should I hook up the water cooling to the motor instead of the fan? So I think that's all I have to ask but if you have any tips or advice on making this conversion please tell me.

Sincerely, Jesse

RC Champion
    The Mamba Monster 1 or 2, and a Mamba Monster 2200kv motor won't work in a Spartan.

RC Qualifier
    The motor will work fine as long as you pick up the cooling jacket from OSE. You will definitely need a different ESC. You will need an ESC with a higher continues amp rate. If you want to run 6S you will need a 240 amp ESC or higher. If you only run 5S you can run a SK 180 ESC. For both setups you should not go any larger than a Prather 220. Hope this helps and I would LOVE to see a Mamba Monster conversion! Good Luck!
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    I just sold all my RC boat stuff but......

What physical size is your Mamba Monster motor?? And is it a finned can or smooth can?

I ran one Spartan setup with a Nue CC1515 2200kv motor and 180 AMP ESC, P220 prop, and .187 flex cable. It proved to be a reliable setup running 5S (as Power Demon has already indicated)

Properly setup, you should be able to run your 2200kv motor reliably. A water cooling jacket is a must have for a boat setup, and you would have to source one specific to the size and exterior surface of your motor.

Also, I would hesitate to recommend running your ESC from the e revo in a boat. The ESC will also benefit from water cooling in an enclosed space (ie pretty much a requirement) and a marine specific ESC would be the safe bet for reliability.

I also had a Nue CC1717 1580kv motor that I had planned to run in a Spartan. I never did.
    The 1717 with a water jacket installed would physically "just fit" in the Spartan, but the motor was so large and heavy the plastic component tray did not provide enough support. It would have required building some type of brace for the back end of the motor. I decided it was too much bother.

If you have a large motor, and want to swap it between vehicles, you will want to put some thought into how to support the rear of the motor, but keep it easy for removal for swapping back to your e revo.

Hope this helps with your planning process.

hog

RC poster
    Mamba monster 2

It is a finned can, 39.98mm without fins and 41.78mm with fins, length is 75.18mm, the ESC is a mamba monster 2 and it is waterproof, which I can get a cooling jacket for the motor, but I am not sure about the ESC as you said but is there some kind of water cooling jacket for the ESC? Which I'm guessing not but also if everything would fit I understand there would be some strain so my ESC is also programmable so if you have any recommendations for programmable settings then please say so, and if you know of anything else I would need like I different flex cable from stock or anything else? and battery recommendation for the conversion which so far I have gotten it being 5s setup because currently I have 4 3s batteries with me. Also buying a new ESC or motor isn't really an option for the moment but just for future reference what motor/ESC setup would you consider be best for the boat? And sorry I did not reply in shorter time.

Sincerely, Jesse
    Last edited by Double G; 06-07-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    You cannot buy a cooling jacket for the ESC. For future reference you would be best off with the motor you have and a CC Hydra Ice 240 ESC or a Swordfish 240. Also for the flex I would suggest a .187 available at either Kintec Racing or OSE.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    The Mamba Monster 2 designation doesn't mean much to me as far as knowing what the specs are.

However, based on your description and measurements, Your motor is a CC1515 2200kv with finned can, which is the same as the motor I was running. (the CC1717 was approx. 46mm not including fins x 85mm long)

You would not need to brace your motor.

I don't think there are water cooling conversion kits for ESC's. Even if there are, you would want to switch between water and air cooling for different applications, which if possible to do, would be "inconvenient" and time consuming at best.

To be honest, If I were setting up from scratch I would go with the Leopard 4082 1600kv with SK180 ESC, a Jeff Wohlt .078 wire drive and either an Octura X445 or Prather P220 prop. (this is essentially the setup I ended up with in my other Spartan, and it was really solid)

I know that budgeting for a new project can be tight, but if you can be patient and wait until you can afford a motor/esc combo you will save yourself a lot of hassle switching equipment back and forth, the ESC will be specific to marine use, and you won't need to be concerned with possibly re-programming the esc for each application.

Boats pull more amps than cars/trucks so I can't be certain your current ESC would be suitable to the task, even if it could be water cooled.

The Leopard / 180 combo can be run on 6S, so your 3S batteries could work if they have a high enough C rating.

hog

EDIT: I noted an error in my first post. I was running an X442 prop with the 1515 2200kv. The P220 was running on the 4082 1600kv setup.
    Last edited by hog; 06-06-2014 at 02:59 PM.

RC Champion
    A while back, the guys at Castle told me that the MM 1/2 & 2200kv motor were designed for land based set ups, and wouldn't work well for water based set ups. Anyway, that's what they said.

I do agree with Hog (who will be remembered as "The Great One"), though.
    I know that budgeting for a new project can be tight, but if you can be patient and wait until you can afford a motor/esc combo you will save yourself a lot of hassle switching equipment back and forth, the ESC will be specific to marine use, and you won't need to be concerned with possibly re-programming the esc for each application.

RC poster
    U can get a esc cooling plate

RC Champion
    It won't cool a MM1/2. I have had mine apart to change the fan, and there is about a 3/16 space between the circuit board and the plastic bottom. A cooling plate would only cool the plastic bottom.

RC poster
    Hog, Why did you sell all your RC boat stuff?

RC Qualifier
    I was into RC trucks when I was a teen.
    When my daughter showed an interest a few years ago, I got back in (primarily boats and "beginner/intermediate" heli's)
    But now she has lost interest and moved along with her own life and it isn't near as much fun on my own, so, rather have things sitting around not being used, I liquidated.
    We had a lot of fun together for a few years, no regrets, just time to move on.
    hog
    Last edited by hog; 06-11-2014 at 08:37 PM.

RC poster
    Thank you guys so much for the help and I have been researching all the parts that you said you used and were solid in the end, (Hog) but I am not sure about the wire drive as in which one to get or were to get one so if you could send me a link it would be much apricated.

Sincerely Jesse

RC Qualifier
    The best place to get aftermarket flex cable, or wire drives is from Jeff Wohlt at rcraceboat.com

Jeff does the wire drives as a sideline so sometimes there can be delays getting parts, so order early in your build project in case you have to wait a few weeks.

Jeff can also set you up with the required collet.

Another alternative is a .187 Flex cable drive, I have run both the .078 wire drive and the .187 flex, both are solid, but I have a slight preference for the wire drive, and they are less expensive.

Make sure you order the drive with the Spartan specific stub shaft.

hog

RC poster
    Thank you hog for giving me the website, which I have found the flex cable and wire drive area in the products but as you could probably tell I don't really know anything about rc boats but a lot about rc cars but my point is that could you help me a little on getting the wire drive because I think I'm going to start from scratch and make the spartan with the upgrades you have recommended but what I need you to do is help me with the wire drive cause I don't know anything about it so could you give me the specific specs so I could find it on the products list or do I have to email him for a custom one cause that is on the website so I don't really know so yeah if you could help me find which one and if I need anything else to hook everything up? Because so far what I know I need is the leopard 4082 1600kv motor, sea king 180a esc, octura x445 prop which it is copper it says, and the Jeff wohlt wire drive which I need some help on that as you know and a cooling jacket for the motor which I have found and the spartan hull with everything in it except for the electronics of course, I have found that also, so last thing I would get a new traxxas tqi receiver for the boat and I have a tqi transmitter but my question is can I have the receiver in the boat and the other receiver in my e revo work with my 1 remote?

Sincerely, Jesse

RC poster
    I made a mistake in my last post about the prop I will get, instead of the octura I think I will get the prather 220 prop as I saw you state in some other thread that it may have more top end speed but may be laggy so sorry about that.

RC Qualifier
    With the 4082 1600 SK180 combo you can safely turn a bit larger prop (diameter and pitch) which helps compensate for the lower kv motor with regard to top end speed. I found the P220 provided satisfactory results on this setup (after trying a few different props). The Octura X642 is also a good choice. Others who have run this combo may chime in with other suggestions based on their experience. (Note: stock prop is 42mm diameter with 59mm pitch)

The wire drive should be pretty straight forward, on Jeff's site there is a "Spartan" selection. If you order from that drop down list, the drive will have the correct prop stub shaft to fit the Spartan OEM strut, and will be the correct overall length. If you plan on installing an aftermarket strut instead, you will need to determine the correct stub shaft diameter and length based on the particular strut you choose. If you are uncertain, drop Jeff an e-mail, and he can make sure you are ordering correct equipment.

The collet is the coupler that you install on the motor to connect to the drive. it will need to fit a 5mm motor shaft, and then sized for whatever drive cable/wire you choose. (i.e. 5mm x .078, or 5mm x .150, or 5mm x .187).

A drive cable/wire with the correct prop stub shaft to fit the strut of your choosing, and a collet is all you need. Oh, and a prop nut. Jeff uses 10/32 thread on his drives.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 06-15-2014 at 05:38 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks so much again for helping and I'll keep you updated on what happens with the boat or whatever if I have questions but last question is which prop do you think will make the boat go faster? Prather 220 or octura x642? And also can I have the receiver in my car and the soon to be receiver in my boat run on the same transmitter? So basicly could I have the 2 receivers connected to the same transmitter? Note these receivers are both the traxxas tqi receivers and the transmitter is also a tqi transmitter.

RC poster
    Also with the ESC I can connect 6s batteris max right?

RC Qualifier
    Yes on any of the escs listed in this thread (except the Hydra Ice) will accept 6S lipo max.