RC poster

Help with Traxxas Spartan Boat SLOW on 6s

I first clipped the Traxxas plugs and installed Deans connectors on the provided NiMH batteries and on the boat as my charger and LIPO's have Deans connectors. I charged the NiMH batteries and ran the boat. It last about 6 minutes and the batteries were so hot I could not touch them. The stickers on the batteries actually wrinkled. The boat seemed to go about 30 mph which is right for the stock batteries. I charged my 2 3s lipo batteries and set the ESC to the low voltage detection setting. The boat went even slower on 6s! They are brand new 5500mah 35-70C. There is nothing wrong with the batteries. I also tried another set of 3s and it was still slow. Any ideas why the Nimh batteries got so hot and didn't last long? What would be the cause of it being so slow on 6s when it is suppose to go 50+mph??? This boat is brand new and I just got it yesterday.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-05-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: banned brand names

RC Qualifier
    First thing is the NIMH, it's a no-no for the Spartan, it will actually eat the battery because the esc & motor is a power hungry, so putting LIPO is the best thing to have, check your TX battery too you might have a problem there, other thing your ESC might got confuse when you switch from NIMH to LIPO, so you have to recalibrate your TX to RX to make sure the proper response, good luck!
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC poster
    The batteries in the TX are brand new. I did recalibrate the RX and the TX according to the manual. The light was green for lipo low voltage. The esc has the grren light when full throttle is applied. I will try both setups again and see. It was like the esc was allowing all the power to the motor.

RC Qualifier
    Does the ESC count 6 cells when you power it up?
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    Couple things come to mind

Deans ultra connectors are great connectors, but only good for about 80-85 amps. They were fine for the Nimhs, but are not going to flow current at high enough amperage for 6S lipo.

If there is enough resistance through your connectors, your ESC could be seeing a voltage drop and kicking in the LVC.

I would suggest Traxxas connectors at minimum, or EC5, or 5.5 or 6mm bullets. (I used EC5's with no problems)

There have been some ESC's that malfunction, if changing the connectors back to a larger size doesn't fix the problem, your ESC may be toast. Try re-binding etc., if you get nothing, try contacting Traxxas re: warranty.

hog

RC poster
    I started fresh and did the set ups all over again. Calibrated the TX to the RX. It is much faster than the Nimh batteries now. The esc may not have recognized the lipo batteries. It actually screams. I do think I need to change the connectors to higher current flow. How many amps am I pulling with two 3s 5500Mah 35-70c batteries?

RC poster
    I just charged the boat and ran it on my lunch break. I did not change anything from running it last night. I thought it was fast last night. No way can I hold it wind open now. The boat wheelies now. It is strange without changing anything now it has that much power. If i run it half throttle a punch it, it will just about go over backwards. Any idea why the power keeps increasing?

RC Qualifier
    I'm not real familiar with stock electrics, having never run them, however...

When I first got our Spartans I set them up with a Tacon 3674 1700kv motor and 180 amp ESC. (first generation Spartan was 1600kv, new generation is 1800kv).

So my initial setup shared some similarities with the stock setup, but I was running Prather P215 metal props as well.

Using an Eagle Tree data logger my average AMP load was usually around 60 AMPS, but my peak AMP loads were 140-160 AMPS.

The Peak loads will be what gets you. If the Deans connectors create resistance, they will start to heat up, when they heat up resistance increases, and compounds the problem.

I'm strictly guessing here, but I would guesstimate a fully stock system, including stock prop, would pull 40-60 Amps avg, and peak at around 120-140 Amps.

My humble suggestion would still be to upgrade to larger connectors to circumvent any potential problems, but if it is running good, check the temperature of the wiring and connectors after a run, if they are only mildly warm to the touch, you might be ok. There are a lot of factors, including how aggressively you run your boat that figure in.

I was in the same position you are, all my RC was setup on Deans Ultra (including my SV27 boats) but when I got the Spartans I standardized everything to EC5's to make charging and using batteries in various vehicles simple.

hog

RC poster
    I just ran the boat again. I did not change anything. It went like it did last night, fast but not like at noon toady. It is either the Deans or the esc is not reconizing the 6s most of the time. Its like it is only on 3s as it has half the power. I have been connecting the neg battery and then the pos. Does it make a difference?

RC Qualifier
    Unless you have a bad connection, or crossed something up when you re-wired, the circuit should not complete until the second battery is connected, and the ESC should read 6S voltage.

A bad connection should result in an open circuit and it would not power up - so unlikely this is the problem.
    A crossed up wire in your serial connection would result in a short - so that's not the problem.

Can you post a photo of your wire connection?

If connection is good, I would look at the connectors. Where the wires or connectors hot after your run today.

hog

RC poster
    I could not figure out how to post a picture of my wiring. I figured out the problem. I have to reset the TX and the RX before each run for the boat to go full speed. It does not seem to save the programming. It only goes half throttle if I do not do it every time.

Traxxas Employee
    You should not have to rebind the Tx to the Rx that often. You may need to call us so we can do a master endpoint reset on your transmitter. Also, if the boat has been flipped and you did not apply marine grease around the inlet of the Rx box your Rx may have gotten wet.

RC poster
    Can someone send me step-by-step instructions for these setups, and calibrations?

Quote Originally Posted by skipstritonboat View Post
    I started fresh and did the set ups all over again. Calibrated the TX to the RX. It is much faster than the Nimh batteries now. The esc may not have recognized the lipo batteries. It actually screams. I do think I need to change the connectors to higher current flow. How many amps am I pulling with two 3s 5500Mah 35-70c batteries?

RC Qualifier
    Here is a link to the TQi manual. http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...ual-120130.pdf