RC poster

Question 2 cell vs. 3 cell

I have a 2wd slash with the 3500 brushless motor. Ive been running a 3 cell 5000 lipo and after 10 runs had to replace both servo and motor. Is the 3 cell to much for this setup? Should I only run a 2 cell lipos or did I just get a crappy servo and motor to start with? Any help would be great. Thanks.

RC Champion
    If your talking about the vxl system then it can't handle 3s well. 2s is all I would suggest. Get an mmp/3800 4 pole if you want to drive 3s or 4s.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion
    the extra voltage didnt fry ur stuff if thats what youre wondering.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dubulis12@msn.com View Post
    I have a 2wd slash with the 3500 brushless motor. Ive been running a 3 cell 5000 lipo and after 10 runs had to replace both servo and motor. Is the 3 cell to much for this setup? Should I only run a 2 cell lipos or did I just get a crappy servo and motor to start with? Any help would be great. Thanks.

It may help damage the motor if it had defects. You have more stress from more torque and rpm. If If the motor is good quality or not a lemon it should be fine. The servo was probably bad quality (I have alot of problems with traxxas wp ones on 2c, 3c nimh....)

How old is the motor? I had 3 vxls that went out on 3s, one lasting almost 5yrs of severe punishment. Lets not get started on the escs. I use an og mamba esc, and futaba servos and alot of my problems went away. Imo, get a different esc, servo, and use a castle or vxl motor.
    Last edited by Chubaka; 05-25-2014 at 07:30 PM.
    People Eating Tasty Animals

RC poster
    It was vxl 3500, brushless motor. Only had it a month. Ran it 10 times. I ran it super hard, but died after that. Ive just heard from other traxxas users saying 3 cell lipos destroy Traxxas setup. Ive only ran it with 2 different 3 cell batteries all 10 times. So I think Im going to switch 2 cell lipos. Anybody want 2 used 3cell 5000 lipo batteries, $100

RC Qualifier
    It was vxl 3500, brushless motor. Only had it a month. Ran it 10 times. I ran it super hard, but died after that. Ive just heard from other traxxas users saying 3 cell lipos destroy Traxxas setup. Ive only ran it with 2 different 3 cell batteries all 10 times. So I think Im going to switch 2 cell lipos. Anybody want 2 used 3cell 5000 lipo batteries, $100
    Try the market place. I would buy them, but my money needs to go elsewhere, unfortunately.

If it were me, id keep one and sell the other. 3c is fun from time to time.

If you ran it super hard, is it possible you overheated it?
    People Eating Tasty Animals

RC poster
    Okay.. Yeah sometimes even with it just plugged in, the motor would get hot. Every time I ran it, it was hot. So most likely overheated it. Thanks for the help.

RC Champion
    Okay.. Yeah sometimes even with it just plugged in, the motor would get hot. Every time I ran it, it was hot. So most likely overheated it. Thanks for the help.
    you need temp gun . I run my rusty on 3s all the time over 1-1/2 years now and had no problems + I do alot of beach running but have a on-board temp gauge . Gearing is a big part in heat also .
    1 Rusty VXL + Slash 4x4 Platinum

RC poster
    3800kv shouldnt be run on 4s in a slash. You'd be asking for your motor to burn out.

RC Competitor
    You can get a temp gun on eBay for $14 shipped. Well worth the money. It's cheap insurance if you ask me.

RC Competitor
    if the motor was getting hot with the battery just plugged in, it was broken. and I say 2s 8000mah is plenty for anything you have in mind. mine inflated somehow, and I got a 3s replacement under warranty, never plugged it in for fear of turning everything in the trans to plasma with its awesome powers...

im selling it on craigslist if you want it (((https://nh.craigslist.org/tag/4663563972.html)))
    brand new, original box and manual, sticker says $84.99 but im selling it for $55
    Last edited by letstrythis; 09-22-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    I could have bought my LHS by now...