RC Competitor

Thinking about buying a boat.. a few pre purchase questions

Hi everyone..

I have never owned a boat before.. and only have some Traxxas trucks that I love. With that said, I live in Miami, FL and water is everywhere.. so I was thinking about a boat to get that "need for speed" out of me. LOL.

I am 33yrs old.. so, I am kinda a big kid inside :-)

Anyway..

Here are my questions:

1. Is the Spartan a good boat for speed and stability? I know that I want to minimize the flipping / crashes as much as possible.

2. I 100% would need to also buy a retrieval boat, as I can't even swim myself LOL. Are there any that are completely RTR that are designed for this?

3. As mentioned I live in Miami.. and I think most all the water around me would be salt water. So.. I am guessing this is not the best for the boat? Do people run them in saltwater? What do I need to do, in order to run in salt water all the time? There must be a way to do it and not destroy the boat?

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-19-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Discussion about non-Traxxas boats removed.

RC Qualifier
    Suntiger Welcome to the forum. Here's to answer some of your questions.
    1. No stable RC Boat in the market, all are prone to flipping, it will be depend on driving habit and wind flow, adjustments etc., if your asking something other than Spartan, this is not the right forum for it.
    2. No RTR Retrieval Boats, all are Customize, you will built by yourself, there is a lot in here who did it already to follow search on Retrieval Boat.
    3. Down under this post are some of the recommendations when running on salt water.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-19-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Discussion about non-Traxxas boats removed.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    The Spartan is an awesome boat. With the right adjustments you can make the Spartan semi stable. Running in saltwater can be difficult but if you don't mind 20-25 mins of maintenance then you can run it.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-19-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Discussion about non-Traxxas boats removed.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys! This is all good info.

Also, this may sound really stupid.. but, how can I tell if where I want to run is fresh water or salt water?

RC Qualifier
    Also you cant really tell if you are in salt or in brackish it changes every tide change unless you go really far upriver. But the ocean of course will be salty. Lakes and ponds will be slightly brackish if located near the ocean. Hope this helps.