RC Enthusiast

Cool New to the forum. Here is my very first slash

Hey guys, new to the Serious RC hobby. this is my First slash. and 2nd RC i have owned that i would call a serious RC. others i had not worth mentioning because i had them when i was a little kiddo.

thanks to my buddy i was introduced to this money sucking hobby
    but im ok with this...

so to start out i did some research on what i wanted and ended up getting the all new Platinum edition Slash 4x4. since i needed a radio control i got the Spectrum DX3c. (i will be upgrading this to the DX4s soon) so i purchased this on (April 25th 2014)

searched the internet for inspirational race car designs. and remembered there is a Need for Speed racing team so i designed my first Body with that in mind.
    example...

i took that design and added my personal touch to it. and with my own color combo.
    and this is what i came up with

Purple,White,Black, and Silver over spray
    this is the second body i have ever painted. this is NOT airbrush but rattle can from hobby store

and after all the stickers

Coming up is a flash back to my very First RC i owned. not much there but you may find it interesting.
    then to follow that is the way this truck looks now. stay tuned...

so here is a little flash back. about 2-3 years ago i used to Drift real cars. and built a nissan 240sx up for this. i started competing and was getting good. was going to go Pro-am (pre formula drift) but then decided to get married and settle down so my car had to go.

here is what i used to own.

so after i sold her when i found out that im having a kid with my wife i picked up a RC drift car.

this car didnt last long. i got bored fast. no one to race it with. so it sat around for a year or so.
    then sold it to one of my buddy's that still drifts real cars for fun.

so i gave up on RC and pursued hunting and guns.
    a while later, my Son is about a year and a half by this time and my buddy gets a Slash 2wd. and starts to convince me to get in to RC again. took him a month before i pulled the trigger. and the only reason i agreed was because my Son loves watching the car go. so i figured i can race it while going on walks with him and my wife.

My boy holding a broken controller thinking he is controlling the car. PS. he would not let go of the controller for about 2 solid weeks.

End of Part 2. stay tuned for what my Slash looks like now

OK so after a few days of research and of course me and my buddy are competing on whos car is better and or faster etc... so i kinda dump more money then i wanted to at first. then my biggest mistake was counting how much it was... lol dont ask im not sharring...

so i take the car apart and do a almost full rebuild.

that there is the first batch of parts. there was 3 more size like that after. no pics of them though sorry..

then i started looking at the web for more inspiration and remembered a kinda local guy that i was building my Drift car while he was competing. now he is Pro this year. Rob Primo. i liked his design on his car and wanted to do something like it on my next body.
    here is what his drift car looks like

and in order to get that in my design i had to try liquid mask this time and not just painters tape.
    PS, BEST STUFF EVER!!! saved half the time, with a 2 times better result.
    mask dried and went over the outlines with a sharpie

painted my blacks first like i learned online.

then after it dried to the touch i pealed it

also pained the bed and out lines in black to make it more realistic.

i cut out the design by hand on a blank sticker sheet. and stuck them on the rear fenders the way i wanted to.

then went with my gun metal color

then the green that later was backed buy silver and black to get the fade i wanted.

in the next post ill show you the final product. took a post more then expected sharing my build in detail.

then i get to work on my chassis before i drill the holes for the body and mount.

list of parts (not complete) there is more then im going to list. this is just the main things
    RPM - everything
    FRONT AND REAR -- MIP- XDUTY axles
    TeknoRC center driveshaft
    tires (streetfighter, trencher x, and proline sand tires mohack front and paddle rear)
    x2 3s lipo battery's
    dusty motors cover
    led lights for inside the body and bumper mounts (in the mail)
    strc-steering bell crank (in the mail)
    STRC bead ring (green)
    traxxas wheelie bar wheels
    Traxxas limited GREED wheel nuts (in the mail)
    axis RC brace (in the mail)
    and more little things.

used plasti-dip to paint over the top of the body to get a Spray in bedliner look. turned out great

DRUM ROLL ...................

Last edited by cooleocool; 05-17-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: merge and inappropriate content

RC Racer
    Wow I wish I could paint like u

RC Qualifier
    Amazing paint jobs man! Keep up the good work
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Enthusiast
    thats all for now, will take the car out and take some pictures over the weekend. then bash it up. and take more pics. i will keep posting up new things i get as i get them going forward.
    give me your feed back. what do you guys think? or your suggestions on what else i should do to it?

RC Racer
    Nice paint job
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-17-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Inappropriate content.
    Slash 4x4 & E-revo brushless

RC Racer
    Sweet build
    slash 4wd upgraded

RC Qualifier
    Loving your silverado body....great paint job....keep up the awesome work dude

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have questions please feel free to ask. Remember that we are here to help!

That is a sweet looking truck you have there! You are well into the addiction! Looking forward to seeing a video of your truck
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    That is a NICE truck! Making me want to try my hand at some more complicated paint jobs!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    Those bodies look phenomenal! I wish I could paint like that!
    How can you defeat what you can't kill?!

RC Qualifier
    Inspired me to do something special for my MT conversion now that I have the clear body. I was going to be lazy but now I'll go for something more. I'm doing the masks by tracing out the body panels onto a piece of paper and actually cutting them based off hand cut stencils so their nice and symmetric, then I apply the mask to the body. Doing it on my cutting board also gets off some of the residue from the 3M stuff but still leaves it sticky enough to apply (about normal painter tape sticky instead of construction tape sticky)

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and the nice feedback to my work.

im very happy i can inspire others to spend more time on painting your own bodies.
    if i was to give a tip this is what it would be
    (when you paint take your time on cutting and prepping. figure out what you want to do first then stick to it.
    along with a crazy or simply color theme consider making it as life like as possible. "window trim, bed liner look, lights etc." and last but not least. PAINT IN LIGHT COATS!!! lol this will help the color come out great and not run.) this is a newbies recommendations take it or leave it

update...
    so this weekend it was raining and i spent most of it with my family, i didnt get alot of time to bash.
    how ever i got a chance to paint a body for my uncle. (we are not to far apart in age) this is for his Stampede 4x4.
    the colors i used: Dark metallic blue, Gun Metal, Black, and Silver (for the front bumper skid plate)
    he wanted to be as realistic as possible so i found a image to reference

half way point

finished w/ stickers

and since he liked it so much he paid for my slipper clutch kit.

also, i got my (Axis RC) Brace in. installed it as well. man this thing is one quality built item. i would very highly recommend this for anyone bashing. not only does it protect the chassis from flexing but it stiffens up the shock towers. it looks sweet as well.

ill post more as i get things done.
    and im hoping to get a video up as well. stay tuned and your feedback is very appreciated

PS. sorry for the double picture in the previous post. when i go in to edit it opens but the edit box does not show up. i tried to refresh a few times and it does not pop up.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-20-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Very nice.!

RC Enthusiast
    Here is an update. Got this in the mail

Then later, well a few hours ago went down to business.
    The receiver box mounts right up to the front on the LCG. No modifying there at all. That was nice. Thanks traxxas

3M automotive double sided tape "best stuff ever" putting this nice and tight inside the box, also used it later to mount my switch. Reference the finished product pictures

Just like this.

FINISHED!!!

Notice I used traxxas part made to mount this ESC. Had to trim the legs to the mount and added the 3m DST under just for extra stability. Also cut off the switch mount on the side that this comes with. Part number if your interested is (TRA5626)

Have some shrink tubes and braided expandable sleeving so I will tighty up my wiring soon

Test drove it with a 3S- 20/54 gearing. And I'm in love. Don't care to try anything else. Very happy.
    Killed my first battery finally. And the motor is barely warm. No more heat problems. Maybe get a 4s later on for fun. Can't ever picture 6s on this beast.

Though I will say, this motor is rather loud. I know my mesh is set good but because it's a 4pole it rattles my center drive shaft at start and break. Once I'm moving all is well. Has a nice kinda whin coming from the whole thing. I'm sure lots has to do with my hardened steel pinion and Robinson racing gen3 hardened slipper clutch. Ps, it's sweet. Love this slipper.
    PLATINUM SLASH 4x4
    MM2/2200kv - BASHER

Wow! You, my friend, have been bitten hard by the addiction! You have a great truck and you did it in short order. It didn't take long at all for you to upgrade your motor system! You are a talented painter to boot! Again, welcome
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

Welcome to the forums looks like your off to a great start.
    Its hard to tell the difference while installed but it looks like your running the 2200kv castle system, nice setup.
    I run a 2650 and 2200 from time to time and they cant be beat I've found the 2650 to be a good fit when over the top power may be needed and the 2200 sits in a scalpel for its 6s capabilities.
    IMO there is a better castle pic but if your content why mess with it.
    One thing I would recommend right away is an aluminum motor mount, most will recommend kingz head however I would say strc, those over kill motors are hard on a stock slash mm.
    Best of luck.
    Another would be X0-1 diffs when the stock units let go.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Cleaned up my wiring
    time consuming but it paid off. love the way it looks.

RC Champion
    This build is looking great! What did you use to apply the mask? Brush? If so what size? Thanks! Love the green theme.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    This build is looking great! What did you use to apply the mask? Brush? If so what size? Thanks! Love the green theme.
    it was about a half inch fine painting brush. like for art stuff. anything half inch to about 3/4 inch should be great for 1/10 scale bodies. make sure you have fine to med layer thickness. and put on about 6 coats. the more coats the easier to peal later.

i usually start at one side and by the time i get to the rear all i need is to wait about another 10 min then start from the front again for layer 2. repeat for layers 3-6. i did about 4 coats on my trick and then did 6 on a buddies stampede raptor body. and i liked how 6 layers worked much better. don't think more is needed. that's my experience though.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BombShellRC View Post
    it was about a half inch fine painting brush. like for art stuff. anything half inch to about 3/4 inch should be great for 1/10 scale bodies. make sure you have fine to med layer thickness. and put on about 6 coats. the more coats the easier to peal later.

i usually start at one side and by the time i get to the rear all i need is to wait about another 10 min then start from the front again for layer 2. repeat for layers 3-6. i did about 4 coats on my trick and then did 6 on a buddies stampede raptor body. and i liked how 6 layers worked much better. don't think more is needed. that's my experience though.
    Okay I have used liquid mask before though, but with a 1/4 in. brush or a 2in. brush and they didn't work too well for me, thanks for the brush sizes. Do you wait for the paint to dry before you peel up the mask or pull it off wet? My main problem was paint going everywhere when I was peeling it off wet. I also learned that you just need to tap the surface when cutting out the pattern, my whole body is full of places where cracks will form, lol. My 2 cents.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Enthusiast
    i let it dry over night before i cut anything. and yes very light cutting. i went to deep in a few places and after a few flips and crashes it cracked at a strait line. so my next body i will be barely touching at all.

still saved me a lot of time

RC Enthusiast
    got some new things for my project
    2.8 Trenchers
    Hot Racing bulk head (didnt like the RPM one i got prior to this)
    and DRAGONSLAYER fan and heat sink. this thing is huge.
    cant wait to get this on.

installed pictures coming soon. also ill take pictures on what i did with the ESC switch and mounting bracket.

RC Competitor
    Very nice work! That fan looks very powerful. Are you having problems with it getting hot?
    Last edited by Rickster25; 06-19-2014 at 07:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BombShellRC View Post
    ...also ill take pictures on what i did with the ESC switch and mounting bracket.

spoiler...

it was one of the first things i noticed. great job !!

That is one great build you got there. The green theme is just awesome.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    I like that switch idea might have to do same
    Slash 4x4 & E-revo brushless