RC Qualifier

Temp reading issue

So I have a temp gun and I always turn the truck off and shot the inside of the fan, front of motor and back. It was around a 100f but when i took the fan off it shot 110f ? Confused because the fan wasn't running both times so why when i take the fan off it was hotter ? Maybe I'm being dumb.

RC Qualifier
    Most temp guns dont read just where the dot is. It is spread out and the further away you are the less concentrated the reading. The gun might be reading off of the fan to some extent and when you took it off then you got a full esc reading. Just my guess my temp gun has a little illustration showing the spread on the side of it

RC Racer
    Like k money said, it's not a very specific spot only, mine too has a little drawing on it. What I usually do is hold the trigger and move it around a bit to see what's the highest temperature reading I can get

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin449 View Post
    Like k money said, it's not a very specific spot only, mine too has a little drawing on it. What I usually do is hold the trigger and move it around a bit to see what's the highest temperature reading I can get
    thats exactly what i do.
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Competitor
    I've got an IR gun and the tqi telemetry. The only time I get the same reading is when I literally have the gun touching the side of the motor. If I pull the gun back a few inches like in the little drawing it came with, the temp reading on the gun is always lower than the tqi reading.

RC Qualifier
    Oh okay thanks guys

Its because you are getting a reading closer to the internals of the motor which is more the true temperature dude ....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

I think it's harder to get a good temp on 4wd motors because it's positioned down in the chassis. As for the fan, it was probably deflecting some of the IR signal.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys yall are awesome