RC Qualifier

Blast on the way

I have a ebay blast on the way. It is the 27 mhz version but has a lipo ready XL5 ,stinger motor and the water cooling addition.
    It comes with a TX but I have many TX's for RC cars. Any reason I should not use one of them ?
    Now I need to find a local pond that will let me play in it. I have 3 within 20 miles but I'm hoping to find one closer.
    Are these fairly reliable? Do I need something to retrieve it in case of failure?
    I do have several fishing rods for retrieval . Any thing work better? Thanks; Don

Quote Originally Posted by dontrinko View Post
    It comes with a TX but I have many TX's for RC cars. Any reason I should not use one of them ?
    Nope, you should be able to use them.

Are these fairly reliable?
    Yes. The Blast is a pretty simple boat, so there's not a ton to go wrong with it. Just keep an eye on the motor temps and keep everything lubricated properly.

Do I need something to retrieve it in case of failure? I do have several fishing rods for retrieval . Any thing work better?
    Some folks have dedicated retrieval boats, but a fishing pole with a tennis ball is a good way to do it. I wouldn't go to the local pond without some sort of retrieval method. You don't want the boat to be dead in the water and have to wait for it to drift ashore.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    thank; Don

Quote Originally Posted by dontrinko View Post
    thank; Don
    You're welcome! Enjoy the boat!

RC Qualifier
    It came in yesterday. I got permission to use a pond about a mile from home. Nice pond, no cattails and very little algae.
    Ran fine . tended to porpoise at full speed but I had a small lipo in. I'll try next time with a big lipo and bring tools to adjust the trim. motor temp on the motor above the cooling coils was 155 after about 5 minutes. Cooling coils were 105. When I cleaned up after I could see some water in the hose to the cooling coil.
    Lots of fun but it was a little noisier than i thought an electric boat would be. Don

Good to hear! A lot of the noise is probably coming from the u-joint. Also, that motor temp is starting to get a little hot, so keep an eye on it. The Stinger motor always ran a little warm, but you don't want it to get too hot.

RC Qualifier
    Yep on the heat. It looks like there is room to add the heat sink. i will probably do that. i have a count down timer I use with my helis. I'll set it and stop when it goes off. Don

A heat sink will not do a whole lot in a boat due to the restricted airflow inside of the hull. What you could do is install a larger cooling coil.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks; It has the Traxxas cooling kit. I guess i need another boat to play with while I let the Blast rest!. don

There are aftermarket cooling coils that have more coils; they would help cool the motor down more.

As for the other boat...you can't really go wrong there!