RC poster

1/16 Summit Driveshaft HELP!!!!!

Hi all, I've had my 1/16 Summit for about 6 months now and it's been a blast! I have broken 4 or 5 of the stock drive shafts and have finally given in to buying a metal hop up to reduce (or hopefully, eliminate) this problem, as almost every time it results in me having to dremel off the broken piece. I am currently looking at a few different models of the drive shaft and I would like your guys's opinion on what I should buy. Please post your opinions as well as personal experience with any of these, thanks!

By the way, I do not want to have to convert my suspension to the MERV stuff, that's why my selection is so limited.

1) Hot Racing Steel Super Duty Cv Shaft Set
    http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...S288XD02;c=604

2) GPM Racing Steel #45 Front/Rear CVD Drive Shaft (Older Version)
    http://www.asiatees.com/display?Trax...id=81160&pid=1

3) GPM Racing STEEL FRONT/REAR CVD SWING SHAFT (New Version)
    http://gpmracing.com.hk/catalog/prod...oducts_id=6190

These are the three I have found among my hours of searching, if you have any more recommendations, I would be glad to take them into consideration. Thanks for your help in advance!
    Last edited by RCJumper123; 04-22-2014 at 08:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Honestly I would go with the stock merv shafts that's what most people go to. I haven't broken a single one, even with my transmission flipped and big tires. My neighbor has a mamba max pro system in his merv and hasn't broken one yet.

Those you mentioned might be good as well, but I have tried them or seen any reviews on them.
    1/16 Summit beadlocks with 2.2 rock lizards

RC poster
    I suppose I should have had something on there about the merv shafts :P. I am currently running those on it and they are holding up well, however I have read that they do indeed wear out over time since the bulk of it is still plastic. Thanks for your input though!

RC Qualifier
    Just be aware that although those options are listed for the summit it seems strange that the shafts are the same length front and rear but none are slide style shafts. Because of the extended wheel base arms in the rear and the long travel rockers i doubt that any of those options would not pop out unless you switched to mini e revo rockers and rear arms. A pricy chance to take. I run the stock merv shafts with merv rockers and summit rear arms and am yet to have a problem.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaxion911 View Post
    Just be aware that although those options are listed for the summit it seems strange that the shafts are the same length front and rear but none are slide style shafts. Because of the extended wheel base arms in the rear and the long travel rockers i doubt that any of those options would not pop out unless you switched to mini e revo rockers and rear arms. A pricy chance to take. I run the stock merv shafts with merv rockers and summit rear arms and am yet to have a problem.
    Yes, If you want to keep your long travel rockers you need to have a shaft that slips in and out or it won't work. I have only seen one set, but it seemed like the general consensus was that they didn't work well. I haven't looked around for them, but I don't think there are many out there.

I haven't had mine for more than a few months, so I can't comment on their longevity, but I'm really not worried about mine braking. But really if it costs me $10 every 8 months or so to keep it running that's fine with me. That's just how I see it, but I understand why your looking to upgrade.
    1/16 Summit beadlocks with 2.2 rock lizards

RC Qualifier
    I have been looking at the second set you have listed myself . Same as you I don't want to loose any ground clearance with the merv rockers. The GPM set look as though they might be rebuild able which in my opinion would be a good thing since on my first broken shaft it was the cross pin that snapped in half . Really at 35 ish bucks for 2 complete shafts it's worth trying since a new half shaft is 10 bucks. Hope to order a set in the next couple of weeks myself.
    OVERKILL,10Sum,16Sum,Xo1,MMSlas,44Stamp,Rus,16Ral

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCJumper123 View Post
    Hi all, I've had my 1/16 Summit for about 6 months now and it's been a blast! I have broken 4 or 5 of the stock drive shafts and have finally given in to buying a metal hop up to reduce (or hopefully, eliminate) this problem, as almost every time it results in me having to dremel off the broken piece. I am currently looking at a few different models of the drive shaft and I would like your guys's opinion on what I should buy. Please post your opinions as well as personal experience with any of these, thanks!

By the way, I do not want to have to convert my suspension to the MERV stuff, that's why my selection is so limited.

1) Hot Racing Steel Super Duty Cv Shaft Set
    http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...S288XD02;c=604

2) GPM Racing Steel #45 Front/Rear CVD Drive Shaft (Older Version)
    http://www.asiatees.com/display?Trax...id=81160&pid=1

3) GPM Racing STEEL FRONT/REAR CVD SWING SHAFT (New Version)
    http://gpmracing.com.hk/catalog/prod...oducts_id=6190

These are the three I have found among my hours of searching, if you have any more recommendations, I would be glad to take them into consideration. Thanks for your help in advance!
    i would suggest getting the merv driveshafts. thats what i have and ive been using them for a year and they havent broke yet.

RC Qualifier
    Also realize also that the added weight of steel will only hurt performance. Any weight added to rotational mass will hurt performance, way more than weight added to none rotating parts. And you sort of want a weak point that is quick to replace and cheap.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Qualifier
    Didn't get to order those sliding shafts by the time I got around to it they had sold and were the last on eBay. I ended up buying the merv plastic shafts . I pop the joint out every 5 mins which stinks but they don't break . It just takes a min to pop it back in and off I go . Not sure if it has something to do with both diffs being locked or the fact that I'm running 3s. There has to be a better shaft out there somewhere???
    OVERKILL,10Sum,16Sum,Xo1,MMSlas,44Stamp,Rus,16Ral

Quote Originally Posted by malonefamily2003 View Post
    Didn't get to order those sliding shafts by the time I got around to it they had sold and were the last on eBay. I ended up buying the merv plastic shafts . I pop the joint out every 5 mins which stinks but they don't break . It just takes a min to pop it back in and off I go . Not sure if it has something to do with both diffs being locked or the fact that I'm running 3s. There has to be a better shaft out there somewhere???
    Locked diffs are definately increasing the risk.
    Nobody is born with experience