RC Enthusiast

E-Maxx 3906 over haul

OK so a couple months ago I bought a traxxas E-Maxx 3906 for $100. It came with RPM arms upper and lower and front bulks. I have recently bought a mm2 for it and I starting to get an idea on parts for it. Here is the list.

Axial 40 series oversized beadlocks
    Proline 3.8 Street fighters
    Custom chassis I drew up
    UE Mono block
    RPM rear bulk and shock tower
    Techno wing mount and Wing
    Lst2 diff mod
    RRP Gen 3 dual pad slipper
    Proline desert militia body
    RPM true track
    Ofna hyper 7 shocks
    Traxxas 17mm hubs
    Lst2 cvd

Could you guys tell me if there are any concerns or incompatibility. Thx

RC Champion
    One thing I see is the lst2 axles are 8mm. Traxxas 17mm hubs are 6mm. You will also have to mod the rpm axle carriers to accept the lst2 axles. I have done this by opening up the outer bearing hole in the rpm carrier to 16mm and then used some custom made spacers and a brass shim and used a 15x24x5mm bearing on the inner.

RC Enthusiast
    Are there any other axels I could use instead

RC Champion
    The traxxas cvds are good. I have a set of those on my beater truck. they have held up good on 4s. MIP makes them to fit too. I haven't ever tried them though. Some people run the stock summit shafts. (the longer ones)

RC Enthusiast
    Don't the traxxas cvds nees to be modded to fit the diff

RC Champion
    The inner part of the trx cvds is a dogbone. So if you do the losi diff mod and use the 1-pc stubaxle/drivecups in the diffs I think it would work. You would have to measure the total width of the stock diffs compared to the losi diffs (outside of drive cups) Here is one of my losi diffs with ue 1-pc drive cups it measures 2.700 outside of cups.

Using these diffs also requires some special step spacers to hold them in the e-maxx bulks, and moding the front diff bracket to fit.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok yeah I have been doing a lot of research. Do you know of any other duff upgrade that is easier that won't break the bank.

RC Champion
    I am running the traxxas cvds with mugen diffs and hot bodies diff cups. they fit in there perfectly. they should work in the lst2 diff cups too. I say this because I have used the lst2 cvds with the same hot bodies diff cups.

Traxxas CVDs with Hot Bodies diff cups
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Enthusiast
    I think I'm going to go that route. Do I need to make any changes to the bulk

RC Enthusiast
    Or do u need to make spacer and stuff

RC Champion
    are you talking about for the lst2 diffs or mugen diffs?

RC Enthusiast
    The mufen ones

RC Champion
    That's going to be expensive..you will need the following

2x Mugen MBX7 diffs these are the cheapest I could find

2x UE Ultralight Cases for 1/8 scale diffs. You can use whatever bulkheads you already have

or

actually I can't find the front flm ultimate hubrid bulks in stock but here is the rear

and a bunch of shims... it would probably be cheaper to do the "lst2 diff mod" I can't help you with that.

Also, what tekno wing mount are you talking about?

RC Enthusiast
    Ok I'll probably upgrade thee slipper clutch and give it a little slip and wait until the diffs break and then upgrade the diffs to the lst2. For the wing mount I saw on a forum that someone had a tekno wing mount for there emaxx. I'll find the forum again and let you know. Can you get metal gears for the stock diffs?

RC Champion
    they are already metal gears.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh... Then what's the weak spot

RC Enthusiast
    Ok I found it it is the cases flexing which causes them to get out of wack and the drive cups snap.

RC Enthusiast
    A little update on what I've done. I've installed a mm2 a savor servo. And some golden horizon aluminum chassis braces that I got from EMAXXBRUSHLESS. I am very thankful for those. Here's a pic.

Well there's the up date. Thanks for the braces EMAXXBRUSHLESS.

RC Champion
    those braces look nice and I really like the white arms.

RC Champion
    The thing with the 3906 is you will detonate that transmission before you ever blow a diff. The internals fit very sloppily together and are mostly plastic. Which equals destruction under brushless power. You can get the brushless edition or newer brushed edition diffs which have stronger spider gears and stronger diff cups with metal inserts. I’ve also found that turning the reverse power down to 25% and the braking power to 20% takes care of the front diff. You can also fine tune the mesh between the pinion and the ring gear by adding shims.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Champion
    Yeah like ^^^ said! the tranny, and the diffs are not beefed up for brushless systems!

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah when I draw up my new chassis I am going to put the new 39085 Trans and put the steel idler gear. Then a RRP dual pad slipper. That should eliminate some of the transition slack and also beef it up.