Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

Ph@ntom 1/8 scale truggy build

Well it's time for another custom EMaxx build! This one is based off the Ph@ntom chassis designed by Oncle Ben and Kikimax. This build will be utilizing FLM's Ultimate Hybrid bulkheads for 1/8 scale diffs. That coupled with an 1/8 scale center diff should provide a bulletproof drivetrain. The truck will be limited to 4s due to to the size of the Serpent battery trays. I may try running a 2650 and 2.8" wheels stretched onto 3.2" rims but for the time being, a 2200 and 3.2" badlands/trenchers will do.

Ph@ntom chassis
    Mugen MBX6 Eco center diff mount
    Mugen MBX6 Eco center diff w/ 46t spur
    Mugen MBX5 front and rear diffs
    Mugen MBX6 wing stay and wing
    Unlimited Engineering Widetrac suspension arms
    Unlimited Engineering Knucklehead shock towers
    Unlimited Engineering Supershocks
    Unlimited Engineering Gen IV servo saver
    Traxxas steer CVD's
    Traxxas 7075 links
    Tekno knuckles
    FLM Ultimate Hybrid 1/8 scale bulkheads
    Sweetstrobe rear bulk brace
    Great Assembly RC front bulk brace
    CPM titanium skids
    Castle Mamba Monster ESC/2200kv combo from EMaxx Brushless Edition

Serpent battery trays/stone guards
    Serpent aluminum rear brace
    FullForce RC ESC mount
    STRC servo mount
    OFNA 100mm front dogbone
    Team Associated RX box

The first night's progress

Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Qualifier
    Cool build!

do you know all the diffs that will fit the FLM hybrid bulks (and are available/still in production)?

You mentioned the Vorza diff and now it seems the Mugen MBX5 will also work. Just curious as to what else works and is still available. I have a set of LST2 diffs but came across two issues - the ring gear is just little bit too big to fit into the case and the pinion is too short. Switching to a 8x16x4mm bearing on the outside pinion will allow the gear to mesh correctly, but what other options are there? Would the diffs from the Ofna/Hobao Hyper SS work?
    Revo 3.3, EMBE 6s, ERBE 6s (x2), Summit 4s

RC Champion
    how is this related to the emaxx?

RC Qualifier
    emaxx bulks and suspension.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NFS View Post
    ? It has an e-maxx suspension, Bulkheads, axles, knuckles, skids, towers, tie rods, mmm system. All maxx parts

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Oh yeah man!!! I'm liking this. What body are you going with? How many Emaxx's do you own now??

Do you have anything planned for Sunday (i know its Easter)? We are throwing the wife a birthday party and Easter on Saturday.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NFS View Post
    Mainly because it is an EMaxx...only the diffs and a couple of the chassis components aren't made for EMaxx/TMaxx.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Oh yeah man!!! I'm liking this. What body are you going with? How many Emaxx's do you own now??

Do you have anything planned for Sunday (i know its Easter)? We are throwing the wife a birthday party and Easter on Saturday.
    I only have this one and the High Voltage Lightning believe it or not! I have enough parts to build a roller which I will do soon. I'm not using my income to buy parts now so I have to sell old stuff to fund new stuff. So that roller needs to get built and get sold!

I'm thinking of running a stock embe body if this chassis doesn't hang down to low. I really want it to be truck body instead of a truggy body.

We don't have plans but I'm not sure how I'll feel. I'm having my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    I only have this one and the High Voltage Lightning believe it or not! I have enough parts to build a roller which I will do soon. I'm not using my income to buy parts now so I have to sell old stuff to fund new stuff. So that roller needs to get built and get sold!

I'm thinking of running a stock embe body if this chassis doesn't hang down to low. I really want it to be truck body instead of a truggy body.
    Sounded like you had more than that. Maybe my math is off. haha That's good, one way to get rid of some extra parts laying around. I have some leftover stuff myself to. Plus a ton of NIP stuff for future use.

The stock body is actually pretty nice. I pulled my old beat up stocker and fixed some of the cracks on it so I can bash the rest of it until totally unuseable. I ordered a new body that is supposed to be delivered today. I'm finally going to do a build or rather an update on my Emaxx.

We don't have plans but I'm not sure how I'll feel. I'm having my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow
    Oh shoot man!! That bites. Hope everything goes well. I'm finally free'd up for a change, could possibly be off for a few weekends. I'll text ya and see how your feeling and up to going somewhere. Maybe M&M or something, if the weather holds out. If not maybe we could meet somewhere closer and hang out and bash.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    SLW-SVT. Thats going to be an awesome build.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    Cool build!

do you know all the diffs that will fit the FLM hybrid bulks (and are available/still in production)?

You mentioned the Vorza diff and now it seems the Mugen MBX5 will also work. Just curious as to what else works and is still available. I have a set of LST2 diffs but came across two issues - the ring gear is just little bit too big to fit into the case and the pinion is too short. Switching to a 8x16x4mm bearing on the outside pinion will allow the gear to mesh correctly, but what other options are there? Would the diffs from the Ofna/Hobao Hyper SS work?
    I will get to your question tonight

Sounded like you had more than that. Maybe my math is off. haha That's good, one way to get rid of some extra parts laying around. I have some leftover stuff myself to. Plus a ton of NIP stuff for future use.

The stock body is actually pretty nice. I pulled my old beat up stocker and fixed some of the cracks on it so I can bash the rest of it until totally unuseable. I ordered a new body that is supposed to be delivered today. I'm finally going to do a build or rather an update on my Emaxx.

Oh shoot man!! That bites. Hope everything goes well. I'm finally free'd up for a change, could possibly be off for a few weekends. I'll text ya and see how your feeling and up to going somewhere. Maybe M&M or something, if the weather holds out. If not maybe we could meet somewhere closer and hang out and bash.
    It should last a lot longer now that I will be running a wing to protect the back.

Yeah I'd love to meet up sometime. I'll hit you up later on

It should last a lot longer now that I will be running a wing to protect the back.
    That's cool. What wing/ mount are you using?

I got my goodies in yest. Let me see if I can get some progress going on mine too. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Champion
    Good to see some OG guys around. Cant wait to see where this goes!
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC poster
    Cool build!

I would be interested in this as well

RC Champion
    I was kind of out of it after getting my wisdom teeth pulled this morning but I did make a little progress. The cups from the MBX5 diffs are a little too short to properly fit the Traxxas CVDs. I will have to come up with another solution or use the Summit shafts I have for my Revo-E Build.
    The wing mount was made last year by Gumleguf on the Unlimited Engineering forum. It was designed to work with the MBX6 wing stay and wing

Cool build!

Mugen diffs from the MBX4, 5, 6 and 7 work with some shimming. The ofna diffs work as well and most prefer them. Those are the only ones that I know of offhand.

RC Racer
    I do believe that I've stumbled upon an architectural marvel. Man, that's going to be a fine machine! Bookmarked!

RC Qualifier

Mugen diffs from the MBX4, 5, 6 and 7 work with some shimming. The ofna diffs work as well and most prefer them. Those are the only ones that I know of offhand.
    Cool - I posted in another thread that I was able to get the LST2 diffs to work after opening up the case a little to fit the ring gear and also changing the outer pinion bearing from a 8x16x5 to an 8x16x4.

I do know that the ofna hyper SS diffs definitely do not fit, but the hyper 7,8, and 8.5 will work. The SS ring gear is much to large to fit into the hybrid bulk.

RC Champion
    I made some good progress on the front end today. I found that the mugen diff cup were too short for the traxxas dogbones. I put lst2 cvd's on the rear and they fit no problem. When I did the front suspension, I used RC monster 1/8 scale diff output shafts that allow you to use stock axles. I put Vorza diff cups on and the traxxas cvd's fit perfectly in the middle of the cup. I will change out the rear tomorrow.

I tes fitted the f650 body from my other build and I will use it on this one as well.

RC Qualifier
    Nice mugen maxx truggy

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    Here in the UK, but Maxx back in New Zealand

RC Champion
    Thanks. I wish there was some way to use Mugen knuckles and rear carriers. They are beast

RC Qualifier
    What was the tally cost for Oncles kit with the exception of you own stuff?

RC Champion
    $300 for the chassis and then about $280 for all the stuff to go on it including battery trays, center diff, center diff mount, esc mount, servo mount, rear chassis brace, rx box, screws and front dogbone.

RC Champion
    I did a little countersinking on the front top plate so that the RX box would sit flush. I drilled holes in a Rustler/Stampede/Bandit RX box so that it didn't have to be held down with servo tape. The electronics are now installed. All that is left is the shocks and the battery wires. I will have bullet connectors that plug directly into the battery and a jumper between the two batteries. I have to go to my friends house to do that. I'm working on the shocks tonight. I'm letting the air bubbles out now.

I may put some heat shrink on later but for now I'm not going to bother with it.

I'm using 35wt all around

RC Qualifier
    Nice, can you still get UE Supershocks?

RC Champion

RC Champion
    Nice a shock stand.First one i have seen.

RC Champion
    looks nice mate. I like it!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    Nice a shock stand.First one i have seen.
    It's pretty handy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duratrax-Pit...item5404af0eae

Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    looks nice mate. I like it!
    Thanks Gary!

Everything is done now except the battery leads and that will be taken care of hopefully today. Here she is:

Sitting with the Tekno e converted D8T

RC Champion
    I got the wiring done and the truck is ready to test out. I really like the stock emaxx body on this truck. I had to go truggy style with the rear fenders. I really like that I can drop this from 5 feet and it won't bottom out. The suspension feels really good with these UE Supershocks with white springs and 35wt, nice and plush.

I like eliminating battery plugs and extra wire length

RC Champion
    That's sweet mate. I love how you wired it up. Simple and clean, very nice!

Nice work bro. Love the clean wiring to.

You sticking with 4S? If so you should go with the 2650kv, that sucker screams on 4S.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Really high quality build. I’m jealous!!
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    That's sweet mate. I love how you wired it up. Simple and clean, very nice!
    I wish I could have direct connections on all my builds. It really does look nice. I'm going to do some wire mesh on the esc and servo wires to complete the project.

Nice work bro. Love the clean wiring to.

You sticking with 4S? If so you should go with the 2650kv, that sucker screams on 4S.
    for racing, 4s will be plenty but it'll most likely only see street duty in front of the house. I may figure out a way to use velcro battery straps with those trays to run 3s..I would need bullet connector 3s batteries then!

Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
    Really high quality build. I’m jealous!!
    I really love the aftermarket for these Maxx trucks!

RC Champion
    With my other EMaxx

RC Qualifier
    Which one do you prefer

RC Champion
    I have not driven the Ph@ntom yet but it should be just as good as the High Voltage Lightning. The HVL has the elusive Racer-X suspension that has tru-track style rear knuckles and arms that are just amazing. I have broken so many rear toe-links as most probably have, and the Racer-X eliminates those links. One showed up on ebay today and it really took a lot for me to not buy it for the Ph@ntom. With my first kid coming May 31, I could not justify spending the $560 buy it now price even though it's definitely worth it IMO.

RC Qualifier
    What pinion tooth count are you running to make up for the shorter gearing of the vorza diffs?

RC Champion

Ph@ntom 1/8 scale truggy build

I am running Mugen diffs. I did not bother counting the teeth. I'm not worried because of the Mugen center diff and motor mount. I am limited on what gearing I choose. 46t spur and right now a 17t pinion mod 1. I think the max the Mugen motor mount can hold is 18t. As long as the temps stay below 180 I'm good.
    I'm finishing up the wiring right now so hope to run it this afternoon.

RC Champion
    All i can say is. VERY nice job. Looks awesome Hope it goes as good as it looks.

RC Champion
    Thanks! It didn't get off to a great start on my first run. one of the set screw for the front diff cup was loose...I'll fix it in a bit.

RPM skid protectors

Holes drilled and countersunk for the Traxxas rx box and the servo and esc wires meshed up

now to tighten that diff cup down and test it out!