Thread: Battery setup

RC Racer

Battery setup

What battery brand/output are you guys seeing the best results for the Jato, and what charging system are you using. My LHS offered me a 5 cell flat pack and charger for $62, and that just felt high to me. I definitely want to get away from the AA set up, but searching online stores has become a bit overwhelming. Any recommendations would be appreciated!!
    Last edited by Mindprey; 04-11-2014 at 02:14 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I use a LiPo RX pack for mine and a Onyx 235 charger. I tend to run out of time before the battery gets low enough to worry about.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Racer
    I just picked up the Traxxas flat pack for $20 on Amazon and use my revo 3.3 charger. I get tired of running it for the day before I have to worry about the battery dying.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the input

RC Racer
    How do you guys have your Traxxas flat pack installed? Mine is in the mid compartment, but it is really jammed in there and I have a lot (maybe 4") of wiring that just gets jammed on top of the battery, then I have to push everything in just to barely get the cap to sit on top of the box. When I take the cover off, everything just spills out. Am I missing something here?

RC Qualifier
    Am I missing something here?[/QUOTE]

Mine is a tight fit too.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Nope, it is really, really snug. You shouldn't have to take it out to charge it. You have a charging port on the truck.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jarod_rodriguez View Post
    Nope, it is really, really snug. You shouldn't have to take it out to charge it. You have a charging port on the truck.
    Is that the black port that is in the receiver box?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, just above the receiver box.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Racer
    I chipped away the ridge on the bottom of the top cover to that compartment and it gave me more room to work with.

RC poster
    There is enough room to run the wires behind the tank but in front of the middle battery compartment. Granted I did it when I replaced the top plate but have been successful switching out a servo and switch with it run this way.

RC Racer
    Yes, just above the receiver box.
    You mean here? Then I just run that black male power wire to the jack somehow?

RC Enthusiast
    I run my flat NIMH RX pack in the rear compartment. -- There's enough cable to make the connection with the port in the center compartment.

Also been charging my RX pack in the vehicle just by plugging the cord into my Onyx 235. --- Not really the best practice to charge with a battery in I know and I don't with my electrics but I figure the little pack isn't as much of a danger and that way you don't have to unscrew and reconnect the compartments.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, you can route a connector plug there and never have to remove the battery for charging.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Racer
    Yes, you can route a connector plug there and never have to remove the battery for charging.
    So I ran the connector that comes out of the receiver box to the charging port. It seems to fit in there snugly, but then when I try to hook up my female connector to the port to charge it, the female connector will not fit in there. I was forced to use the extension, as well as the power connector, inside of the receiver box and have to fold everything up in it. Am I missing something here? Can anyone take some photos and show me what they have done with the charging port and running the wire to there?

RC Qualifier
    Will have to look and see what I did. It has been a long time. If I recall, there is a 3 way switch connector that brings it all together. Will see if I can take a pic tomorrow.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Racer
    Thank you jarod_rodriguez

RC Qualifier
    So here is what my plugs look like. I have taken 1 connector from the on/off switch to the battery and the other connector from the switch to the option port. both are from the on/off switch. I then use a jumper cable that I made to plugin to the RX pack port on my charger. I never remove the battery on this Jato. On my other Jato, I have a LiPo RX pack so I need the balance port to connect. I haven't rigged up an extension for it yet. No time.

--
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Racer
    So here is what my plugs look like. I have taken 1 connector from the on/off switch to the battery and the other connector from the switch to the option port. both are from the on/off switch. I then use a jumper cable that I made to plugin to the RX pack port on my charger. I never remove the battery on this Jato. On my other Jato, I have a LiPo RX pack so I need the balance port to connect. I haven't rigged up an extension for it yet. No time.

Thank you. I had run the same wires, but I bought an extension that went from my Onyx charger to the charger port for charging and it wouldn't fit into the charging port. I ended up disconnecting it and decided when I need to charge it, I'll just take the receiver cover off and plug in there.

RC Qualifier
    That will work too. You might have to trim the tab off the jumper cable. I had to do that.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Racer
    That will work too. You might have to trim the tab off the jumper cable. I had to do that.
    I may have to find a dremel tool and try that.

RC Qualifier
    I used a razor knife.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod