RC Champion

Calling computer techies. Computer virus question.

Alright so i got a HP envy m6 with windows 8.1 and i have this virus that is centered around my web browser. My mother was the one who installed it. She went on a installing spree with an add that popped up. She also installed a few updates but thats beside the problem. So my issue is That nearly every time i am on a web browser, either an ad pops up even with my popup blocker.... I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive to put everything on it in-case i want to wipe it and start over. I have Trend Micro Titanium protection and my mother downloaded cheap avast. Neither can remove the virus. So my question is, could i delete and re-install my web browser to get rid of the virus?
    My geek squad coverage just expired a few days ago too...
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

What is the name of the virus, and what browser are you using?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I would try doing a Disk Cleanup of the hard drive first. A lot of times they are just in a temp file and triggered when browsing.. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...anup=windows-7

If that doesn't work try installing Microsoft Security essentials and have it scan your system..... If that fails you may want to try installing AVG free and see if that can clean it out...

IF all that fails, re-install Windows 8.1 and once you have it running good run a backup, and create a recovery USB flash drive. A real time and pain saver.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Champion
    hmmm interesting my mother also does a lot of random site searching and probably has a couple adware viruses on her pc to
    since she is always complaining about pop ups.
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Competitor
    1) Download and install CCLeaner (http://www.ccleaner.com)... run it to get rid of all the Internet Temp files, cookie, misc crap.

2) Download and install MalWareBytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)... run a full scan... it is EXTREMELY good at finding a ton of stuff

3) install a good free AV product like AVAST or AVG...

I go through this with my 80 year old Dad at least 3 times per year

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRC View Post
    1) Download and install CCLeaner (http://www.ccleaner.com)... run it to get rid of all the Internet Temp files, cookie, misc crap.

2) Download and install MalWareBytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)... run a full scan... it is EXTREMELY good at finding a ton of stuff

3) install a good free AV product like AVAST or AVG...

I go through this with my 80 year old Dad at least 3 times per year
    +1,
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Alright thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it pans out once I have time to even get on it. Busy weekend for me.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion
    before doing the above do a search for the virus by Google the symptoms, also try Norton free online scanner. I ran into a similar virus a few years ago. After days of messing around and almost to the point of wiping my computer i found the virus name and after reading the removal instructions realized that no antivirus, or malware scanner would pull it out as it would disable them during install and even if previously installed. A few min following instructions and a few reboots and all was good again.

RC Competitor
    I had a similar (or same) virus. Just web searching. Luckily, Norton was there to the rescue. It got rid of it after like 30 seconds when I started the scan.
    If parts ain't flyin', you ain't tryin'

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    #1.Best thing to do is watch what websites you go to visit and not to open emails from people or websites you dont know. I've worked on many PCs for friends and family and those are the 2 contributors to making for a messy computer.

#2 Also when you go to install software watch what else is included with the install. A lot of software that is downloaded will want you to install crazy taskbars and garbage you don't need. I've opened browsers and there will be more toolbars than the view of the open window. All these bouncing smiley faces and quick searches. Arhhhh!!!!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    The best thing you can do is get a good virus/security scanner. I have tried a few of the other top names and always got rid of them before the licence expired and went back to norton. I found the others ether let things through or slowed the system down way to much for my liking. As long as i have had norton i have never had a issue with virus or popups and other crap. You can usually find it on sale for around $30 or so..
    When i had my virus issue i was actually running trend micro

RC Competitor
    As DiggerPede mentioned, don't download all that stuff. That is a good start. I have a hard time with it because I play games that are mod compatible. I download mods not knowing what is in them other then then the mod itself. Norton is good and goes on sale quite frequently.

RC Champion
    Or.... you could just run Linux it's free, powerful, and virus-free.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by E-RevoVXL View Post
    The hard thing about Linux is that some programs can't run on it or have poor support of it. For what I do and most of the people I know do, Windows is the way to go imo. Just putting it out there.

RC Competitor
    Ditto to DiggerPede's post...

And completely un-usable and un-friendly to 95% of the average computer user

RC poster
    Drop all the important files pics, music, videos etc. on the external. Then just do a complete Windows 8 reinstall off the HP's recovery partition. This can be done in about an hour, add another hour downloading/installing programs like security software, windows updates, flash, java, Adobe Reader etc. Then you'll have a CLEAN PC without beating your head against the wall looking for solutions that take LONGER than the reinstall.

I do a lot of reinstalls and charge $75 a pop for a reinstall from the recovery partition. If the recovery partition has been deleted or is corrupt... I charge $115 for an install because of the extra time hunting down and installing the drivers.

Last edited by RedXray; 04-10-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added video link

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RedXray View Post
    Drop all the important files pics, music, videos etc. on the external. Then just do a complete Windows 8 reinstall off the HP's recovery partition. This can be done in about an hour, add another hour downloading/installing programs like security software, windows updates, flash, java, Adobe Reader etc. Then you'll have a CLEAN PC without beating your head against the wall looking for solutions that take LONGER than the reinstall.

I do a lot of reinstalls and charge $75 a pop for a reinstall from the recovery partition. If the recovery partition has been deleted or is corrupt... I charge $115 for an install because of the extra time hunting down and installing the drivers.

Well theoretically if you are using Windows 8, you could use the handy PC reset tool.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...fresh-reset-pc

Just another option. Being a lead technician for a big box electronics store, I know the feel when the partition is corrupted :P.
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by E-RevoVXL View Post
    Was the guy asking for a different O.S.? No..

And just an FYI as a network administrator certified in UNIX SCO, IBM UNIX AIX, Linux Red Hat Enterprise as well as numerous Microsoft O.S.'s and servers as well as currently administrating 3 multi million dollar e-commerce sites I'm going to let you in on something you obviously do not know... There ARE viruses and MALWARE that CAN and DO attack Linux systems.. Although rare they do exist....

Here's a small list of them:
    Kaiten (Trojan)
    Rexob (Trojan)
    Alaeda
    Bad Bunny
    Diesel
    MetaPHOR
    Rike
    RST
    ZipWorm

You might want to do some looking up yourself.... And there are Antivirus software that can be used for Linux as well. Know why? Cause there are Linux Viruses.... Try reading up on ClamAV........ It's one of your more popular Antivirus programs for Linux....

Might as well have told the guy to get a MAC,, Oh ,,, there are viruses out for that O.S. as well.

The whole virus thing is based on what more popular, How can they infect more faster... By going with what is the most popular O.S. in the World per capita.... And that's Microsoft.

Hope some found this educational... Not This Vs. That.....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Qualifier
    I know DeepFreeze isn't it "home computers" but that's what I use on my parents/grandparents computers. They just save there stuff on Network shares to make it easy. I have used AVG for years, Norton is good but uses a lot of system resources.

RC Champion
    Yea Norton will slow down any computer. I just factory reset it since I had SkyDrive. Everything was automatically redownloaded minus the virus
    So I just downloaded the free avast for now (hate the pop up voice, despise is actually the right word...) but I will work with it for now till I pay for something different...
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Forgot to add that I use Symantec Endpoint Protection, scan once a week and I'm fine.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasERBE View Post
    Forgot to add that I use Symantec Endpoint Protection, scan once a week and I'm fine.

I'll look into em. Thanks!
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP