RC Competitor

Belting tires?? Few questions.

Well I am just looking for opinions on a couple methods to prevent balloning.
    First way I've seen is gorilla tape around the inside of tire. I saw a before and after on the it looks promising.

Second was Kevlar thread and epoxy wrapping the insides of tires.

Third option is solid rubber tires I've seen these pre mounted on eBay.

Lastly just buy belted tires, but I'm trying to be cheap about it right now. Next paycheck I'm most likely getting the proline protrack setup and the longer Tekno shafts to help my handling some more.
    Any ideas would be great, I plan on separating my stock tires from the rims and trying a method above.
    Thanks, Jesse

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Gorilla tape works great for me. One wrap on the inside does it. Either that, or buying belted tires.

RC Champion
    I belt all my tires with regular duct tape, it makes a big difference.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    I belt all my tires with regular duct tape, it makes a big difference.
    +1 on using duct tape.
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Qualifier
    I hated my mashers when they were gorilla taped. The ballooning did minimize at first but then had horrible wobble on high speeds and the tape started peeling making things even worse. Yes I did clean everything prior to taping. Yes I did overlap the tape about 2 in.

Sent from my neXus⁴ using tapatalk 2
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    as for onroad set of wheels/tires get the belted ones (sweep,GRP,TRX,ofna) but if your getting like SC tires, gorilla tape them for sure.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SlowTRX View Post
    I hated my mashers when they were gorilla taped. The ballooning did minimize at first but then had horrible wobble on high speeds and the tape started peeling making things even worse. Yes I did clean everything prior to taping. Yes I did overlap the tape about 2 in.

It's funny that you mention that, I posted earlier about the tape in my tires coming loose & bunching up, causing uneven rear & flat spots on my tires. I didn't know this until I unmounted the tires from the wheels. I think it has something to do with the high RPM's of the wheels, the tires still wanting to expand, and the tape knotting up after the tires contract. But what are you going to do? Unless you mount them on bead-loc's, you cant take them off readily to replace the tape, and if you don't tape them, you get the ballooning... too bad they don't make belted tires for all applications.
    AB

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    It's funny that you mention that, I posted earlier about the tape in my tires coming loose & bunching up, causing uneven rear & flat spots on my tires. I didn't know this until I unmounted the tires from the wheels. I think it has something to do with the high RPM's of the wheels, the tires still wanting to expand, and the tape knotting up after the tires contract. But what are you going to do? Unless you mount them on bead-loc's, you cant take them off readily to replace the tape, and if you don't tape them, you get the ballooning... too bad they don't make belted tires for all applications.
    AB
    Yep. I got fed up honestly. I'm just now learning to live driving with pizza cutters Lol

<P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SlowTRX View Post
    Yep. I got fed up honestly. I'm just now learning to live driving with pizza cutters Lol

Haha!!! I hate pizza cutters!!!

AB

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    as for onroad set of wheels/tires get the belted ones (sweep,GRP,TRX,ofna) but if your getting like SC tires, gorilla tape them for sure.
    +1 on the Ofna tires. I have an Ofna buggy and like the tires, so I started buying take-offs from ebay.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Pizza cutters are where it's at man!

RC Competitor

Angry

pizza cutters = a broken tekno steering knuckle, bent strc aluminum caster block and a bent driveshaft at 60+ into a ditch then flying out the other side 10 feet in the air into a tree that laughed at my rally... so i just ordered 2 sets of steering knuckles and a set of driveshafts as my lhs does not stock tekno parts. tekno customer service is a absolute joke, they said plastic is never covered if it breaks. that didnt really bother me but my bent driveshaft which yea i bent it is not covered under their warranty cause it didnt break... i was told to send it in in a bubble mailer and they would possibly credit me a 50% coupon for my "old worn part" which is only 2 weeks old. so shipping is close to 5$ bubble mailer 1$ turn around time can be up to 2 weeks just to possibly get a discount on a 14$ part. then order part on their site only at full msrp 18.99 and pay $ shipping. what a joke.
    I should have bought mip and will in the future mip uses standard bearing and 5mm stock size knuckles. best of all my lhs has every single mip rebuild kit. so i wont be down a week in the future.

FORGET TEKNO... should have read the fine print on their lifetime warranty
    Metal parts included in our M6 Driveshaft kits (TKR1951X, TKR2210X, TKR6851X, TKR6852X, TKR6851PL, TKR6852PL) are covered by our Lifetime Warranty in the event of breakage. You must send the part(s) back to us – pictures are not sufficient. You MUST include a completed Warranty Form along with $2 S&H ($4 S&H for international customers). BENT shafts resulting from use and normal wear ARE NOT COVERED by this warranty, only broken parts. For all other issues, please see our general warranty below.
    Last edited by Jesse002100; 03-26-2014 at 10:10 PM.

RC Competitor
    well i just did some math and it cost me 34.41 to rebuild the Tekno axles (3-5day shipping) and im so frustrated with them and their service that there coming out. the MIP 08106 c-cvd set was only 34.35 with amazon prime one day shipping ill have it friday.
    Forget Tekno.