RC Competitor

Keep yor Teton running

I have some tips to keep your Tetons running!

1 (A). Clean your diffs. Open your diff housing and separate the diff into three pieces then get the actual metal diff and remove the four black spider gears. Get a wire brush and clean the four little holes. This will keep the diffs running smoothly with no clicking noises

1 (B). Check those four black spider gears. Some of mine broke which makes a massive clicking noise and reduces speed check them and buy new ones (trx 7579) to replace. Again clean the holes in the diffs that the speeder gears are in.

2. Shock guards. If you have a 3d printer at home you could make some custom shock guards like on the stampede 4x4 vxl. I think this would help A TON since the stock shocks like to snap in half.

3. Aluminum driveshafts. If you have upgraded to brushless the driveshafts break constantly so when they come out GET THEM

4. NO MUD!!! It stresses the motor and usually will burn it out (been through that)

5. Change/upgrade ball bearings. The stock ball bearings have no rubber and I have found them to rust easily unless you want to constantly change them to keep things running smooth I suggest upgrading to higher quality ones for better durability

I hope these (only 5) tips will help you keep the Teton running and I will try to find more

RC Competitor
    (cleaning spider gears fixed my clicking noise)

RC Competitor
    6. Glue tires down with foam inserts. With a brushless Teton this is a MUST as we all know they come unglued. I used duratrax mini quake foam inserts and standard tire glue for mine

RC poster
    Did anybody figured out what are the upgrade alternatives for the shocks that could be used on the Teton? I broke one of mine in the first battery run and just called the LaTrax technical support to complain that the parts are back-ordered and I've been told it can be for months... At this point I would like to find a third-party or a part that can be modified from another rc car/truck model... I don't even want to put the original part as I consider it is too weak to spend time on it. In my opinion it is not well engineered as any impact is directed exactly at the weakest point, i.e. the inner of the bottom shaft threads and this is going to happend again.

RC poster
    Look in this thread. The answers you are looking for are within. I had the same question.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...y-mount-bashed!
    1/18 Rally / Teton for now. Who knows what's next

RC Competitor
    Yeh the rc18t rear shocks fit but you will need a ball stud kit. You can get the traxxas aluminum shocks listed for $65.00 on the latrax site but they are sold at rc planet for 20.00 (they aren't in stock yet) product number is traxxas 7665

RC Competitor
    Also I found that SPC 2s soft case 1/16 lipo works GREAT with it

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks this stopped the ANNOYING clicking noise in my diffs. I was afraid I shredded something

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatdudewithaMERV View Post
    6. Glue tires down with foam inserts. With a brushless Teton this is a MUST as we all know they come unglued. I used duratrax mini quake foam inserts and standard tire glue for mine
    It seems the duratrax mini quake foam inserts are either back ordered or no longer available. Any suggestions?

RC Qualifier
    Hmm good thing I kept the spider gears that came in the truck. I just replaced them under warranty anyways. Never tried just cleaning them. Would any grease or diff fluid help as there really isn't anything but a small bit of bearing grease in them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jsta281 View Post
    It seems the duratrax mini quake foam inserts are either back ordered or no longer available. Any suggestions?
    I recently put 1/16 slash tires and wheels on my Teton and they bolt right on if you want to try those out. They have a ton more grip. The merv tires might be a tad too big but I'm sure the foam for them could be trimmed to fit a Teton tire