Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a Teton

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm

I got a Teton

Just got my Teton today. And its busted. Out of the box.

I will call Traxxas tomorrow. Its a bummer though, sitting in my cab at the airport with the battery charged and have about an hour to wait for my next trip 8(

Something in the steering. As i pulled the truck out of the cardboard after I cut the zip ties, the front tires just turned to the left like the servo link was not there, but it was. The servo arm is turning like there are no gears in the servo... All other steering components are perfect.

Ok, complaint over. I know trx will fix me up so I will get over it. I feel better now 8)

Its RED and it looks killer.
    Anyone got a line on some foams, and/or tires that fit these rims?

I will get pics up as soon as I have a min.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Congrats on getting a Teton! Sorry about it being defective though.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Congrats on getting a Teton! Sorry about it being defective though.
    Tires won't stay on the rims any suggestions?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Popasmurf View Post
    Super glue or tire glue
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC Competitor
    Get duratrax mini quake foam inserts I have them in and they work great any standard super glue ir tire glue will do fine

RC Competitor
    Definitely not sure what Traxxas is doing with the LaTrax line...these kind of things should be considered inexcusable from a company like Traxxas...seriously? We have to glue the tires? C'mon...

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatdudewithaMERV View Post
    Get duratrax mini quake foam inserts I have them in and they work great any standard super glue ir tire glue will do fine
    Nice. Do they make the tires hard?

Were they glued? If not, were they supposed to be glued?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    No the Teton tires come unglued with no foam. Does anyone no if there is a reason for this???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatdudewithaMERV View Post
    No the Teton tires come unglued with no foam. Does anyone no if there is a reason for this???
    To save money
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

Lets talk about my teton 8)

Just ordered the mini quake foams. Thanks!
    Last edited by rag6; 03-23-2014 at 09:04 PM.

I got a Teton

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Lets talk about my teton 8)...
    Wanna talk about how you're gonna glue your tires after you get your foams?
    How about how insanely difficult and unfair it is to have to do so?

Yep... AKA glue. Takes about 3 min a tire.

On the stock truck, if your driving in dry conditions, do the tires need glue? They seem tighter than my lunchbox tire/rims, and did not have to glue them with the 16 turn. Maybe they could have been glued, but so what? Get a 1$ tube of super glue from the dollar store...

Here is my steering challenge. I need the proper driver before I can take this apart.

The drool in the quote in post #12 is real...
    Last edited by rag6; 03-24-2014 at 05:05 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Were they glued? If not, were they supposed to be glued?
    Don't think so and by the looks of the other posts I guess they r not,put a email out to traxxas put not have got a reply from them yet.
    Thanks everyone

Traxxas is sending a new servo...

looking at these tires:

And this motor:

Well, after snapping a silver ball stud on my red Teton today after my servo replacement arrived 8(, I do not feel like waiting another week for parts, so I just went and got a green one! I will finally get to drive my own Teton tonight 8)

ran both packs through this new truck. Did a standard traxxas break in procedure. Never went above 1/2 throttle. The motor got to 115, esc was ambient. The motor seemed to be too warm for what I was doing. I will clean and oil the motor when I wake, and check for sticky ball cups... I like the green better than I thought I would. It needs a mr yuck sticker on the hood...

You bought two?!? Awesome!
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

Guess I better get a couple of pics huh?

The mini quake foams are perfect.

^^^^ you can see the broken silver ball stud.

Narrowed wheels anone?

Since I have 2 of these now, I figure 1 will be more for off road, slower, taller, just more trail truckish. The other one will be more of an on road speed demon with the cf chassis, brushless, lowered...

I just narrowed a rim. I used an old pair of lexan scissors and simply cut the outer beads off. The bead on the face of the rim needs much more trimming, but cant run the dremel this early. The face of the rim will look a little wrong, unless I can figure out how to make some fake beadlocks to fill the space between the tire and where the holes and spokes are. That area looks too big, but some beadlock rings will fix that. The tire beads just pop right over the inner bead and the inner bead becomes the outer bead. This will be pretty easy to glue up when I am done. Anyway, this is what I got so far. Will trim the rest of the rims, mount them and take a pic of the truck. I also did a frame lift(body mts up 1 hole), and suspension lift(used the upper suspension pin holes on the rear carriers, and c-blocks needed modified to use the upper hole, but will get into that later). It now has about 1.5" of ground clearance!

Here are comparison shots of stock and jacked up:

Hard to see, but you must modify the ft c-blocks on both sides to clear the suspension arms if you want to use the upper holes in the c-blocks. I used a file, took about 5 min per block:

EDIT: I also had to file the cross support on the a arm to give clearance for the c-block when the arm is at full extension...
    My cam batteries died on that last pic so I cant take a pic of that at the moment...

I highlighted right above the file line to see it easier:
    Last edited by rag6; 03-30-2014 at 07:02 AM.

So I have just completed my 10th pack thru the stock motor. I have come to the conclusion that the motor is not junk as everyone thinks. Its just too small or overgeared. The first 2 packs were spent doing 1/2 throttle gentle acceleration break in on a smooth flat surface. Then the motor was cleaned and oiled. The next 2 packs were used up doing top speed runs on flat smooth surface with mild acceleration. then cleaned and oiled The last 6 packs have been drained driving it as hard as I can in rough terrain... for about 4.5 min at a time in 50 deg weather before it hits 150+. The motor was cleaned and oiled for the 3rd time in its life after the 10th pack. The power is good and just about right for this truck on the stock nimh's. Lipo I am sure will get it humming along nicely. Just wonder why L-trx would put this overburdened motor in a beginners rc? Why would you risk disappointing such a high percentage of new (and possibly big dollar traxxas customers in the future)users? Anyway, I am gonna keep beating on this particular motor, while remaining vigilant about not overheating it. This motor cools off fast to ambient within about 3 min so its like drive for 5 min, cool for 5 min. Maybe a fan wold do a lot of good?

RC Champion
    I believe it's an ok motor for nimh and not lipo. It just heats up a lil too quick for my liking on 2s lipo. And to answer your question on "why would latrax put that motor in a beginners rc?" well...you said it best, it's for beginners Us more experienced drivers tend to want to run this thing into the ground while beginners will run it like a beginner. just my $0.02

I disagree. Beginners will plug it in, and run it hard for 6 min when the motor gets to 200 deg. Thats what I said 8) Why not make the truck a little slower, and the motor last for a while? On nimh, my truck is getting to max safe temps in 5 min.

Just stopped at hobbytown andd bought a helion 370. part number hlna0029. will get it soldered in tonight after work, and try to test tomorrow.

RC Racer
    That stock motor is low quality even for $10. I have a losi and ta super 370 in my trucks and they have at least 15 packs thru them. Just no comparison.

the stock teton motor, or the helion motor?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    the stock teton motor, or the helion motor?
    Teton motor, I went thru 3 of them.

Well, its a success! Got thru a whole battery running extremely hard(15 foot full throttle holeshot, hard brakes to a full stop, full throttle uturn to 15 foot straight, repeat over and over and over for 15 min till the battery dumped, and the motor was @150 w 70 ambient. I will never run it near that hard while bashing, so temps are gonna be ok. Going up to the bashplex a little later for a bash in the dirt.

This motor is just about perfect to replace the stock teton motor. Its just a bit slower, but there is room to gear up, and there is more torque. The stock motor screws will not work without putting some washers under the heads. Apparently the coils are closer to the screw holes in the helion motor and the stock screws are too long for it. The helion screws included are shorter, and should work, but I accidentally threw them away... DOH!

But if you just want to replace the stock motor for your youngsters, this will be a good option.

Also, I did not attatch the capacitors, and the radio range is the same with no issues. Traxxas would have don well to put a motor with these specs in the teton.

Bashed hard in dirt, motor got to 110. A 12 or 13 tooth pinion and a lipo and I should be set. Kooky1 radar'd it at over 20mph down a slight grade on hard dirt.

That's pretty good for a small brushed vehicle.

I thought the radar was wrong being the teton is so small. But we ran the teton sxs next to a losi sct and it came up showing 21-23 mph each time. It was slightly downhill as there is no flat spots at the bashplex. Need to get to a flat parking lot to try.

Just packed the red one up so I can ship it to duramaxin tomorrow. Have fun with it buddy!

Cant wait to get a lipo and new pinion for this thing, then it will be done. Unless I break sumpin' then I will upgrade haha.

Ordered the spc 2s pack and some pinions and body clips. This thing should be ready for the summer!

My lipo, and pinion should be delivered tomorrow. Should get pretty fast, and hopefully the drive shafts will hold up.

Anyone have any tips on setting gear mesh? I guess I will bolt the motor to the motor plate and see if it fits, then adjust...kind of like trial and error???

The Helion motor, 13t pinion, and lipo just made the tetons fun factor go WAY up. Make sure to get the mesh adjustment correct when switching to a different size pinion. I set mine up to what I thought was dead on, but it was too tight, and the motor temps went to 162 in 5 min. Loosened up the mesh, and car came alive and the temps came back down. This thing is quick! Now that the power system is sorted, I think all I will probably do to it is add some dromida shocks.

How are you guys securing the spc lipo? I had mine taped in for the test run, but would like a cleaner solution.

RC Racer
    What are the rough dimensions of the spc you are using?

Its the 2s that must mount on its side. If flat, it rubs the drive shaft

PACK DIMENSIONS: 89mm long x 34mm wide x 19.5mm tall