RC Competitor

gearing questions...

alright so was going to go up on my pinion a few teeth and i ended up with a totally different than planned setup... i am currently running a 18 pinion and stock 54 rear spur it does around 55-60mph with the mamba monster 2 and 2650kv motor.

well while at the hobby store i started talking about more upgrade parts for reliability. the owner was telling me about his slash and what hes done. i ended up getting the stock e-revo spur and pinion combo 1.0 vs .08 pitch and 23 pinion and 38 spur. i felt like it was a pretty huge leap but im just looking for opinions on temps and if my car can handle it.

i calculated my 18/54 and end with 65mph
    i calculated the E-REVO's 23/38 and get 119mph... (im posting a pic of the calulator to be sure im doing this properly but id just like a few thoughts im installing the gearing now and plan on testing during my lunch break at work tomorrow. im going to try and get video of it with gps to see actual top speed and keep an eye on my temps.
    thanks, Jesse

RC Competitor

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've been running mod1 gears for a while now, I have it geared 20/36 on 4s on my MM/2200 and I got 65mph.

sent via Samsung Galaxy LIGHT using tapatalk
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 03-18-2014 at 09:11 PM.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Competitor
    Alright well the 23 pinion will not fit whatsoever. Spur gear was fine. The motor mount bracket was 2mm to open to get the screw in. I'm going to try out a 20 in it at least I know it will fit. Thanks for your help. Hopefully the hobby store owner will swap out the 23 to a 20 for me, he said it was going to work...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse002100 View Post
    Alright well the 23 pinion will not fit whatsoever. Spur gear was fine. The motor mount bracket was 2mm to open to get the screw in. I'm going to try out a 20 in it at least I know it will fit. Thanks for your help. Hopefully the hobby store owner will swap out the 23 to a 20 for me, he said it was going to work...

a 23T will fit but you have to go down 2 teeth with the spur like 36 or HR 34t hardened steel. the 23T will probably eat alittle bit on the chassis but once its been done it should be fine, same situation with MIP axles rubbing on the carriers give it time to wear out
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Competitor
    i am hoping to get back to the hobby store and see about starting with a 20p and 38s i will still be bashing on it and dont want to heat it to much. as it sits around 30 degrees ambient temp it has yet to get over 110 degrees esc or motor. i have been runnign with esc fan removed because or salty snow. i just am going for a all around rally car. if i get a gt8 or something similar ill gear it for more speed. but in the 60mph club ill be happy if it stays cool on 3s.
    thanks humayrayakongkinaon ive been looking at your build and seeing what all you have done. oh and my tekno's rub a bit on the arms but not terribly or it was the stocks im not quite sure.

Are you using the stock vxl motor/esc?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Nope mamba monster 2 2650kv on 3s stupid fast keep breaking stuff