RC Enthusiast

Unhappy possible bad esc?

hey everyone,

i purchased this for my daughter. used it a total of three times over a three day period. on the third day i get home from work (wife and daughter were out of town) so decided to try the car. plugged in battery and turned it on, went forward till i was close to couch went to reverse it to me. when i got car back to me i tried to go forward again and well it will not go forward or backwards. so i turned of car and remote. turned car on to reprogram (thinking that was the problem)... well programming i noticed the esc light stays green after reprogramming instead of turning red.

any help would be appreciated

RC Racer
    Thats the low voltage. Charge your battery up real good and you should be good as new!

RC Qualifier
    Green is lipo mode. Your battery is probably below 3.3 volts or whatever that escs cut off is. Try changing it out of lipo mode.
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC Enthusiast
    ok so i got it out of lipo mode and still wont go forward or backwards. also i tried a lipo in there in lipo mode and still will not go forward or backwards. i have steering though

RC Racer
    If your batteries are fully charged and your lipos are balanced currently, then yes it's possible the ESC is faulty. Do the tires spin when you give it throttle while holding it? If not and the motors running, check the pinion gear on your motor

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like a brush is missing, however that would be weird because it sounds like you didn't drive for very long so it coulnt of gotten hot

RC Enthusiast
    i have a total of maybe 1 hour on the car. no when holding the car the tires do not move. also how can i tell if motor is running? sorry im kind of new

RC Racer
    It's all good when you give it throttle, do you hear like a alittle spinning sound within the motor mount?

RC Enthusiast
    no i do not hear anything

RC Enthusiast
    hrmmmz if i spin the tires should all 4 tires spin? because mine are not lol

RC Racer
    Diffs could be blown, but the teton diffs are pretty decent. What size LiPo have you been using?

RC Enthusiast
    2s 2000mAh

RC Racer
    for the 4WD. I would do a full check on it. Check the gears in the differentials and especially the pinion gears on the each end of the driveshaft which you REALLY have to examine to find any cracks that could effect it. along with the motor pinion gear and spur gear. Make sure the diffs are put together nice and tight, the bearings are placed properly and all that good stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    could that possibly be my problem? and might be why i dont hear the motor turning?

RC Racer
    That could be your problem for the 4WD, all wheels not turning together. As for the rig not moving completely, you could have overheated either the ESC or motor with the LiPo. Do you have a fan on the motor? I run a 3S 1400mah with a motor fan and the ESC still gets hot but mine has a heat protection to where if it gets too hot, it'll shut off (kinda like the low voltage protection)

RC Qualifier
    If you were running a lipo I bet one us dollar one of your brushes is missing. Its prpbably laying in your chassis
    Last edited by duramaxin; 03-15-2014 at 10:41 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    this was a stock teton right out of the box so whatever it came with is what was in there besides the 2s lipo

RC Enthusiast
    duramaxin if that is the case i need a new motor right??

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxin View Post
    If you were running a lipo I bet one us dollar one of your brushes is missing. Its prpbably laying in your chassis
    I bet 3 dollars, one for each brush I have lost so far on our two trucks. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Yes. Look at Yinzers thread, the one about a dead motor and is 3 pages long. He's been through 3 stock motors. There is a couple different motors in that thread you can get co just ordered a Losi one. I currently have two castle brushless bit it's just way to much power for stock driveshafts. I've snapped 8 shafts with my dual setup, and 4 when I only had one castle system. I ordered the Losi one so id still be able to drive it while I'm waiting for traxxas to release the aluminum driveshafts. So like I said check out that thread. The guys that have them said they are much better. Little faster too. You can also use your stock ESC with those motors too

RC Enthusiast

RC Qualifier
    That will work, you may have to mod your motor plate a little. Very easy to do. I just open up the screw whole and it fits. But with that motor cuz it's brushless you might start snapping driveshafts. It's a great price compared to the castle system. If say go for it!

RC Enthusiast
    is there aftermarket shafts i could use?

RC Qualifier
    None from traxxas yet, they should be releasing them some time or another. That's the bad thing about buying a truck that just came out

RC Enthusiast
    ok so i may buy like 6 of these LOSB1218 motors for now lol

RC Racer
    For the price, that brushless system is legit! I would buy a motor fan to go with it tho if you're running lipos, just to be on the safe side and possibly even a ESC fan if they make one compatible with that ESC

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmitch View Post
    I actually ordered this last week but with the 4300kv motor to help keep the motor temps under control on 3s.

Mine is coming tomorrow and I plan on installing it tomorrow evening. Running video coming soon!

I am going to adjust the punch control to hopefully keep it from snapping drive-shafts.

RC Enthusiast
    just giving an update on my situation. i contact traxxas, after realizing the 1888# is only for the states i called the Long distance #. he recognized the problem in seconds and are sending me a new motor. on the upside i will not be installing that motor as ive purchased a brushless motor with cooling system to put in it

RC Enthusiast
    i also got a hold of mini e revo tires and they fit perfectly

RC poster
    i ran mine for a total of 15mins probably, 10mins with the stock battery, 5mins on 2s lipo but esc wasnt in lipo mode. killed the esc. wouldnt go forward. found one on ebay luckily and fixed it. now im gonna see how long it lasts on 2s lipo with the esc in lipo mode.

RC Enthusiast
    just an update here. i received my new motor from traxxas a couple days ago. this motor seems quicker then the original. it actually wheelied for me and when it came down broke my right front suspension arm. i had ordered 4 of them so it was no biggie but im really enjoying this now

RC Racer
    👍 glad you are up and running. It's a fun little truck.