RC Enthusiast

C. C.1/8 Sidewinder ESC 1515B - 2200Kv Motor vs. C. C. 1/8 Mamba Monster 2 1515 motor

How does the new Sidewinder esc & 1515B motor stack up against the older MM2 & 1515 motor? There seems to be a big difference in price.

90 amp ESC and 11lb limit with the 8th.
    120 amp ESC and tons more programmability with the MM2.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    thank you, Sir. I think I'll go ahead with my plans for the MM2 & 1515, then

Probably a good idea. I have read of them working in heavy RC's, but they geared down pretty slow to compensate. I myself would still be worried about burning it all up...

RC Enthusiast
    I've been using the MM2 & 1515 in my summit without any problems. I really like the way in runs, I get tired before it does!!

RC Competitor
    How fast would my e maxx go on 4s with the sidewinder 8 and motor?

RC Competitor
    I just installed this Sidewinder 8TH system in my Summit... look in the Summit page under my user name to see my progress with it. I plan on doing some testing but right now it is snow covered outside. My concern with it is temp since a Summit is heavy. Same concern as Jimmie. As for it working in a Emaxx 2nd gen you will be at it's rated weight limit but shouldn't be a issue as long as care in gearing is taken and temp monitoring.

The only difference I have found out between the 1515 and 1515b motor is the can. Sidewinder is smooth and the mm2 motor has machined cooling fins in it. These motors run cool from what I have heard so not sure if the extra cooling fin thing is needed.

As for the esc the Sidewinder is a continuos 90amp rating and a 120 burst rating and is castle link compatible. I haven't hooked my link up to it yet. Just installed it this morning in my truck

RC Enthusiast
    Don't get sidewinder it can't handle the weight of an eye maxx. I talked with someone from castle and they said that they need to change the description because it can only handle 9 pound vehicles not 11. I learned that the hard way. Burnt up on second run on only 4s lipo.

RC Competitor
    So what the heck!!!!!! Are they going to warranty upgrade people that actually bought these for there monster trucks!! They should have marketed them for 4x4 sc and buggies if they can only handle 9lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by E_revo [email
    kenblock@rc.com[/email];5680060]Don't get sidewinder it can't handle the weight of an eye maxx. I talked with someone from castle and they said that they need to change the description because it can only handle 9 pound vehicles not 11. I learned that the hard way. Burnt up on second run on only 4s lipo.
    What was your gearing and what batteries where you using?

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-22-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Post merge & language abuse edit.

RC Enthusiast
    16/66 for gearing and two dynamite 2s 30c packs

I thought naming the combo "8th" was a mistake from the get go simply due to the ratings on the ESC.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I thought naming the combo "8th" was a mistake from the get go simply due to the ratings on the ESC.
    Battery shouldnt be a issue with what you had... 90amp should be okay with a 11lb truck. You have stock tires or oversize, running in deep snow. Just looking for clues as to why it blew up so fast on you is all. There has been others I have seen using even lil 550 setups and not burning up? Curious, huh

From what I have read your gearing "sounds" close also. I have 14/68 setup in my Summit with the 8th. Still gonna test it and see what temps are e t very carefully.

Like I mentioned before thou. IF my hobby shop had the MM2 I would have bypassed the 8th and went straight for the MM2 hands down!!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-22-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by E_revo [email
    kenblock@rc.com[/email];5680060]Don't get sidewinder it can't handle the weight of an eye maxx. I talked with someone from castle and they said that they need to change the description because it can only handle 9 pound vehicles not 11. I learned that the hard way. Burnt up on second run on only 4s lipo.
    I phoned Castle today to double check the weight rating and recommended gearing for a Gen2 Emaxx running the Sidewinder8TH. Guy guaranteed me that this system is still sold and can handle 11lbs trucks no problem. He recommended 20/68 gearing for a stock sized tire and weight Emaxx. If running bigger tires then drop down the pinion and watch temps.

One thing to note here is that we all live in different envionments and weather etc... Watching the temps is crucial to safely operate these systems. Gearing by the manufacturer is only a recommended starting point. Also you can help with temp control by running 4s instead of the overly insane 6s, LOL

Back to the OP... did you order your MM2? and if so how do you like it?

RC poster
    Does anyone know for sure what's the difference between the 1515 motor and the 1515B? Aside from the can that is. There's a big price gap between the two.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumacher View Post
    Does anyone know for sure what's the difference between the 1515 motor and the 1515B? Aside from the can that is. There's a big price gap between the two.
    I have had the 8th combo for 3 months now. I am not as enthusiastic as I was before about the motor.
    The speed controller is adequate . The motor cannot be pushed like the original 1515 . The 1515b gets hot quick when its over geared . I clocked 78 mph on a slash 4x4 with 6s . Those missing 30 amp from the esc rear there ugly head when pushing the limit. If you have never used a MMM you won't notice anything .They really cheaped out on the motor.

RC Enthusiast
    Well its blown .The motor is fine. The esc caught fire and melted it self to my rig. I am sending it in so I can replace it with a 100 amp esc from ..I am sick of sending castle escs back for warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblkblazin View Post
    I have had the 8th combo for 3 months now. I am not as enthusiastic as I was before about the motor.
    The speed controller is adequate . The motor cannot be pushed like the original 1515 . The 1515b gets hot quick when its over geared . I clocked 78 mph on a slash 4x4 with 6s . Those missing 30 amp from the esc rear there ugly head when pushing the limit. If you have never used a MMM you won't notice anything .They really cheaped out on the motor.
    Edited for language abuse/bypassing the language filter. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a banned product or company name has been blocked by the language filter. Additionally, do not use abbreviations in order to bypass the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-16-2014 at 09:10 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I had the same thing happen

RC Racer
    I have the MM2/1515 in my revo conversion, and my neighbor has the SW8/1515B in his. We run the exact same 4S lipos in each. My revo is about 2-3lbs heavier than his, and they run about the same speed. I was very impressed with his SW8 combo, and for the price, it is pretty good. I think the MM2/1515 has a bit more torque, but it may be his slipper is slightly looser than mine.

I know this contradicts a couple of posts here, but the SW8 handles the weight of the revo with no problems and his has about 30-40 runs on it so far and it is still going strong. It is a revo 3.3 conversion, so it is heavier than the e-revo too. He also runs it with the original Big Joe tires on it too!
    Last edited by bzlyteer; 01-08-2015 at 07:40 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Mine had the gearing they gave on only 4s and smoked 5 minutes in my first run. My truck ways 9 pounds. I have no idea. But if you can save up for the mm2.

RC Champion
    Really, if you can save up for a MM2, do it. Not worth the risk in my opinion. If you want a cheap brushless system, either do a Traxxas power up or go with another brand in my opinion. Good systems are out there but if ur investing in a brushless system, get one you won't have to worry about. Just my $.02
    This parrot is NO MORE!!! This is an ex-parrot!!!

RC poster

just so you know

just so you know the mm2 has 120 amp burst and 100 amp constant

Quote Originally Posted by sunny1022 View Post
    just so you know the mm2 has 120 amp burst and 100 amp constant
    Amp ratings on ESCs are useless for comparison purposes across brands since none are measured the same. Don't get caught up in the numbers.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =