Thread: Rusty Build

RC Qualifier

Rusty Build

Hi all, i am going to build a rusty so i figured i should start a thread about it. so i already have some parts and in the beginning this is going to be brushed for a while, then i will upgrade to brushless. the theme colors are gonna be Black with green accents, like a arms and links. i am also not doing many upgrades as i go, but i will upgrade things to rpm/strc, because i am not trying to spend to much money as i only get $10 a week for allowance. so here is a list of parts i have:
    -chassis top & bottom plate
    -plastic belcranks
    -stock slash wheels & tires
    -RPM front & rear A-arms green
    -RPM front & rear camber links green (i don't need the adjustability)
    -Transmission gears (diff, idler gear, top shaft/gear)
    -Traxxas wheelie bar green
    -Bandit body (i will use till i get the jconcepts raptor body i want)
    -Front & rear bearing carriers
    -C blocks
    -Traxxas XL-5 esc with LVD
    -27mhz TQ radio system (i will upgrade to 2.4 when brushless comes)
    -Traxxas servo, (i think it the 2056)
    -Shocks, might need springs though.
    -front & rear shock towers
    -front body mounts
    -front so called "Bumper" lol
    and parts that i need:
    -RPM tranny case
    -some hardware
    -Body (I'm going with the jconcepts svt raptor, i will post a pic soon)
    -brushed motor (only temporary, I'm going with the HPI 15T racing motor. only $12)
    this should be a fun build, what do u guys think of dollar hobbyz, as i will be ordering some parts from there.
    Last edited by iZach98; 03-10-2014 at 05:06 PM.

RC Qualifier

Rusty Build

Here is a pic of the parts i have (sorry for the blurriness)
    And a pic of the body that i will get, i will be painting it black with windows masked off
    Also can i just buy the pin for the topshaft? The one for the gear on the inside of the tranny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by iZach98; 03-10-2014 at 05:05 PM.

RC poster
    I buy from dollar hobbyz with no problems.

RC poster
    I might add that there are some good Sellers left...lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyTires View Post
    I might add that there are some good Sellers left...lol
    What do you mean? On Dollar Hobbyz?

Zach, yes you can buy the top shaft pin separately, but I always buy the whole top shaft which includes the pin. I've only broken 1 or 2 of these over the years and it's a real pain to remove the pin to replace it. The top shaft is a drop in part.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier

Rusty Build

Ok, i was just wondering. I know the part is only $3 anyways so not a big expense.

RC Qualifier
    Nice build!! All luck to you!!

RC poster
    Ive got a few things in the past with quick shipping etc.

RC Qualifier

Rusty Build

UPDATE: so i got an old titan 12t from my little bros slash that i just put his new CC SCT system in, so i got a free motor! all i need now is my last order which was hardware, and a few other things like RPM Trans. All i need now to finish it is drive shafts. Probably gonna get the slash 4x4 heavy duty rear half shafts. Then upgrade as i break stuff with RPM and STRC. I also traded my bandit body for this rustler vxl body with my little bro. So i will use that as it is decent condition.

RC Qualifier
    Idk about the rpm transmission RPM is great but a trani can't be flexible

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, i know RPM's stuff is flexible, but i already have it on its way so might as well give it a shot!

RC Champion
    Keep up the good work iZach. I'm running 2 of the rpm gear cases without issue. If you are famiar with rpm parts, be sure to not over tighten the gear box screws and strip them. If you strip the gearbox holes that hold the two halves together, you won't have anything really holding the halves together at that point, and you may experience some of the issues Spencer is talking about that he heard from somebody else.

RC Qualifier
    Yes i know, only hand tight. I don't think that would be to good if you striped those out lol then it could just fall apart! I like the fact that the a arm mounts on separate tabs, so you don't need a whole new trans case if those break. That happened to my little bros rusty going 40 mph and the rear wheel hit my other bros foot and the trans tab for the a arms broke off. My little bros foot was fine though.

RC Champion
    The other nice part about having the removable toe blocks is that you can remove just the gear box while leaving the arms, links, most of the axles and shocks still mounted to the truck. Nice choice for an option part

RC Qualifier
    Never mind I can be negative sometimes sorry

I think it is worth mentioning that just because RPM uses a plastic blend in some parts that is known to flex that does not mean that all of their parts use the same blend. I dont know if the tranny case uses the same flexible plastic as say the suspension arms do or not but surely a company like RPM is capable of using different blends of plastic for different parts.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, that could be true. But the trans case doesn't seem to flexible. All i am in need of to finish my build is driveshafts. Probably gonna go with slash 4x4 rear half shafts. Sadly my Tower hobbies order didn't arrive today hopefully i will get it in tomorrow...

RC Champion
    Good choice with the slash 4x4 shafts. They have held up great to 2s power on a castle sct sv2 3800 combo with a well adjusted slipper. When you go to run it, during the first few packs pay attention to the output yokes' holes and the stub axles' yokes' holes. If you start to see them stretch a bit, loosen the slipper a bit.

The gear case has been solid, if you have a dab of blue thread lock, use it on the two screws closest to the top shaft. If they do happen to back themselves out, they'll hit the back plate of the slipper and keep the entire unit from being able to spin. And when it comes to the final cinching of rpm screw holes, I switch to only having two fingers on my hex drivers for extra caution from stripping thumb and index lol.

RC Qualifier

Rusty Build

UPDATE: Ok so the build is complete! I took my electronics from my slash and put it in my rusty. Its the CC SCT 3800kv, then i put my 2.4 RX/TX, 2075 servo, and some aluminum parts (C-Blocks, Bellcranks) and my tekno m6 cvds, 32p gears (15/54).
    So i also traded my bandit body with my little bro, for his rusty vxl body (also in great condition) so here are pics...
    Sorry last 2 pics are kinda blurry. Will get some video and more pics to come!
    Who think this thing will pull wheelies on 2s?

RC Competitor
    Looking good I'd like to share threads with you here because we have got similar builds I'm starting a similar thread soon. I'd like to see your progress.

RC Competitor
    Got my build up you can find it on my page here's a look.