Thread: storage to LV

RC Qualifier

storage to LV

I have used my batteries from storage mode to almost lv... I dont have much time to play with my trucks, and if I fully charge the batteries I might not have enough time to run them down or even get out and run the trucks...so isit safe to use them like that? Or iam asking for trouble? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Don't think that's a problem. As long as you charge it back to storage. Could be wrong tho.

Sent from my neXus⁴ using tapatalk 2
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

LiPo have no memory... using them from storage to LVC or from full to storage is just fine.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks.
    batteries have memory?
    How long can a battery stay at lv? I have ran one low got busy and forgot to charge it until the next day

Yes, most chemistries have memory.

Ideally, LiPo's need to be charged slightly at minimum after a run... once they get to a certain voltage they lose their charge quickly -even if not hooked up to anything and once they get too low they are no longer safe to use.

Here is a excerpt from my LiPo 101 post:
    Storage
    Storage voltage is 3.85v/cell. This voltage is the only voltage that is not super critical for LiPo. Anywhere between 3.5-4v/cell is considered to be acceptable for short term storage. If the pack is going to be stored for more than a few days, bring the pack closer to 3.85v/cell. I suggest putting a full pack to storage voltage if it is not going to be used within 30 hours or so. The longer a pack is at full capacity, the shorter its lifespan will be. I also suggest bringing a pack up to storage voltage shortly after a run. When a LiPo's voltage lowers to a certain point, they begin to loose their voltage quickly. I would hate to see you loose a pack (or more) due to not charging up within a few hours after a run.

For long term storage; I bring my packs to storage voltage, seal them in an airtight container, and stick them in the refrigerator. I have had a set of 3S packs in the fridge for over 8 months at storage voltage before... I checked them monthly and they never strayed far from 3.85v/cell. When storing packs for extended periods, it is a good practice to take them out every 4-6 weeks to cycle them... bring them down to LVC and then charge them back up to storage voltage. This will keep the chemistry active and ready for use when you are ready.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Jimmie