Thread: Brand new to rc

RC poster

Lightbulb Brand new to rc

Hi all,
    Well after many years of looking at you youngsters having way to much fun I've decided to join you,my weapon of choice will be a new revo3.3 as friends own them and love them.
    I've never used one except when I was a kid and at 37yo that was a while ago lol,
    I'm hoping to get one from the states on line,I'm from the uk,they seem to be a lot cheaper,so any recommendations or advise from a later starter would be very much appreciated guys��

Refrain from using offensive/profane language and edit out words replaced by the "*"
    Last edited by Double G; 03-05-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: language

RC Competitor
    It is cheaper but make sure you buy it in early spring or mid summer so it's warm enough for break in and you can actually drive it. I bought mine in November and had to wait a month before I drove it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Ok cheers do you know of any good bargains out at the moment,preferably with free uk shipping

RC Competitor
    No I don't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    There are no bargains. Be careful getting it cheap from the states.... u mite have to pay extra tax/vat on it when it arrives to u

RC poster
    Hmmm that's very true we will see,I'm like a kid in a sweet shop

RC Qualifier
    get at least two spare glow plugs, spare body clips, blue locktite, spare suspension pins and arms. when u tune the engine and u a novice/rookie you have to be patient, once u learn youll have it learned like riding a bike, but it takes practice and u just have to go out there and try try it. read the manual twice.

RC poster
    Cheers 2010 I will do,probably gonna need a spare car lol

RC Competitor
    Try this site www.rtr-modelismo.com is here in Portugal, in Europe you will not pay customs
    I already purchased on-line and no problems.
    E-mail them
    Last edited by Cyborg; 03-07-2014 at 10:15 AM.

RC Competitor
    I'm also based in the UK, my advise would be get a second hand truck! I got a cheap one of ebay with plenty of life left in it all be it minging! For a 120 notes delivered trust me it hurts less when you stack it into something for the first time lol! Definitely get yourself a little spares pack, like 2-3 glow plugs some suspension arms body clips etc! If you search on ebay there is a shop called phils spares I think it is, if you need anything he's Awsome and cheap as chips! Again mail him see if he has a truck going cheap! If you need any help with tuning etc just shout! I'm still a noob but learnt a lot through trail and error lol! Welcome to the rc world :-)

RC poster
    Ok Geordie many thanks,there is a couple of 2.5s on eBay which will probably do me fine,I had a go of my mates 3.3 and I'm the bizz ha but seriously they are awesome fun especially when a few the boys are all giggling like girls

RC poster
    Cyborg: that's more expensive than uk lol

RC poster
    I'm bit of a dilemma, do I pay between 250-300 for a good clean second hand or should I bite the bullet n pay 520 for a new 3.3 revo,my head says I'm new to all this and should probably go second hand and save a few quid but my heart says go treat yourself lol,who thinks what is best

I'd say go new. This way you won't be buying someone else's headache. With used you may save in up front costs, but may end up paying more in the long run.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by icepick832 View Post
    I'd say go new. This way you won't be buying someone else's headache. With used you may save in up front costs, but may end up paying more in the long run.

Thats not always true. If you know what your looking at, you can sometimes get a sweet deal.
    *REVO33*EREVOVXL*SLASH4X4 *SLASH2WD*JATO33*SUMMIT*

RC poster
    I'm now getting a second hand revo 3.3 for less than half the original price and it's Absolutley spanking clean it looks like it's never been used and I've had two friends who are traxxas crazy check before I said yes to the sale from a shop,so fingers crossed I can now start to enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by BANG_6th View Post
    Thats not always true. If you know what your looking at, you can sometimes get a sweet deal.
    Of course it isn't always true, nor did I say it was. As for knowing what to look for, did you read the ops posts? He's new to RC. How would he know what to look for as far as wear and tear goes? A new motor or one on its last leg that has just been cleaned well?
    Red rocket, the choice is yours to make. Hope for a good used one, and that you get true full disclosure, or buy new knowing there will be no hidden issues.

RC poster
    Very true,I guess nobody ever knows until you've owned it for a while,I actually trusted the guy in the shop bigger fool me maybe bit my friends of 30+years are life long fans of this hobbie and they seemed to think its a good one,wish me luck

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eego39okgi...2021.42.43.png

Will be buying tomorrow and hopefully get a few glow plugs and bits n bobs thrown in
    Last edited by Double G; 03-10-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: merge multiple posts

RC poster
    Bought it delivered Thursday and I can't wait,think I'll put a days holiday In

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by The red rocket View Post
    Very true,I guess nobody ever knows until you've owned it for a while,I actually trusted the guy in the shop bigger fool me maybe bit my friends of 30+years are life long fans of this hobbie and they seemed to think its a good one,wish me luck

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eego39okgi...2021.42.43.png

Will be buying tomorrow and hopefully get a few glow plugs and bits n bobs thrown in
    It seems is the Revo 2.5!! or he has already the new TRX 3.3 motor?
    Last edited by Cyborg; 03-13-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    Traxxas Revo 3.3 / Axial SCX10 Honcho

That's the 2006 version of the 5309. Chassis, air filter, electronics boxes, servos, shocks and tires/rims are a dead giveaway.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Yep that's the model,it's very good condition and does it not go,these things are ridiculously fast

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtpp16twrc...2021.18.06.jpg
    Last edited by Double G; 03-13-2014 at 08:43 PM.

RC poster
    The mrs isn't speaking to me she says I'm a big kid lol

RC poster
    First proper run out today and after 15 mins she's cut out altogether n won't starting think I needed to charge it's battery lol well that's what I hope

RC Racer
    Is it stuck at top dead center? Maybe rotate the flywheel so its loose and try again. And battery maybe dead in easy start

RC poster
    It was a busted glow plug it's obviously running wrong,I'm just waiting to get out one weekend and try to tune it by the book