RC Champion

Well looks like I have another one

My buddy did not want his NR anymore so I took it off his hands for $50. I would say he it new about 7 years ago and has not really used it in the last five years other than when we messed around with them last summer. It needs some TLC bad. I just spent a little cleaning it up. I plan to add all RPM parts BB's to the rear. Already has BB's up front with an RPM rear shock tower. I cannot decide if I want to make this an on road or keep it off road. I already have a VXL Rustler that is my basher so I am leaning towards just a nice looking on road to mess around with. Maybe just a simple fuel line mod to the stock shocks (I need BB's for the front of my VXL). The 2.5 in it has maybe two or three tanks of fuel after break in thru it. Got that motor for $50 last summer so I know it was taken care of. Anyways let me know what you think. Also came with three quarts of fuel and a ton of random spare parts.

RC Qualifier
    Not a bad deal at all. If you have one already for off road, then why not make it an on road. Put on some good street tires, or foams and gear it up and let it fly.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Champion
    That's kind of the way I am leaning but cannot decide since I like off roaring so much lol. I thought about making the rustler vxl I have the on road car and the nitro rustler the basher.

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Champion
    Just ordered a new 6518 micro receiver. To be used with my transmitter from the vxl rustler. I may actually make that my on road car and have the nitro the basher.

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Champion
    Did some work today. Replaced the steering servo with a 2055. Modified a vxl body to fit. Replaced the 27mhz to a 2.4ghz to use with my brushless rustler transmitter.

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Qualifier
    Those rear tires are gladiators right? Really good tires, I run them when the grass turns yellow, really good traction. I go through twice as many drive shafts when I have those tires on. My rustler is my all time favorite, I run it all the time. I hope you have lots of fun with it

RC Champion
    You're correct they are. I put them on my vxl the other day and they hooked up pretty nicely in my yard. Thanks I hope so too.

My last nitro rustler was nothing but problems but hopefully now being more experienced will help me deal with that lol. Cannot wait to run the nitro again. Should have never sold my other one

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Qualifier
    They can be a pain. I was old school electric, and when nitro started making a big bang, I was hooked. That was in the days that a 2000mah nicd pack was around $60. The hobby has came along way. I have electrics still, and my kids both have electrics. Thank god for lipos and brushless motors though. My son has a nitro now that I picked up dirt cheap, that we are getting back to running order, but he has not got to run it yet. There is just nothing else like the sound and smell. Just be patient, and watch your temps.

RC Champion
    I still love my electrics I have an had and sold but like you said there is nothing like nitro. At some point I'd like to add a gas powered one. What was weird about my last rustler is I had a great tune and temps were never an issue. I kept having transmission and axle problems. And everything was factory lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Champion
    If I may, I would like to provide some advice for durability. You mentioned tranny problems. Most likely being stripped Idler gears. Back in the day I would use a 20t clutch bell and cut just the teeth off. Making a 20t steel Idler gear. But now you can use the idler gear from the Nitro Slash. http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...FcU-MgodVmYABw
    Takes care of the tranny issues.
    And I would blow out driveshaft very often. You can change the shafts to Slash 4x4 rears for more durability fairly cheap. I would also advise to change your front suspension to the Electric version. Castor blocks and steering block is all you really need to change. And invest into a set of stub axles. That will allow you to use the easier to get wheels for the front. Just provides you with more options and far more durable than the stock front suspension.
    Good luck and enjoy. The N.Rusty has been my go to car for years. Although mine no longer resembles a rusty as much as it does the N. Slash. But it all started with the rusty.

RC Champion
    I actually remember you suggesting all these mods to me last year lol. I ended up selling it BC my buddy quit with his and didn't like doing t by myself. But I bought a vxl rustler a few months ago and couldn't resist buying another nitro. I think now with me having more experience will help out a lot. If this tranny gives me problems I will definitely be doing what you stated with the CB. As always you guys provide great advice. Right now I am just waiting for my ez start battery to get here from eBay. After I know I got it tuned good I'll see about a pull start.

And I definitely at some point want to do the vxl mod on the front.

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Champion
    I wouldnt do the CB mod now. Just get the Slash Idler. I cant wait till its actually warm enough to run the Nitros again. I have a couple new toys to try out this spring. Been a long winter.

RC Champion
    OK sounds good. I know what you mean its been a colder than normal winter here in ga. Week days have been cold and weekends are hot. I plan to hopefully have a lot of time after moving and getting married all taken care of.

What new toys do you have?

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Champion
    Congrats on the upcoming marriage. Good Luck!
    I have the CW slash and the MMP/4600 powered bandit. I have a little time on the slash but not much on the bandit so far. My N.Rusty AKA Slutsler remains the same. I did put a new set of TrencherX's on it. I ended up running it on pavement more than off-road and slicked up a set of badlands rather quickly. Got the trenchers cheap so I wont mind burning them off to much. I do need a new set of shocks for it. But I am not sure what I want to get for it. Its got a little weight to it so I need something beefy. Probably get a set of GTR's or Losi shocks.

RC Champion
    Thanks, I appreciate that!
    Dude that bandit looked sick and so does the newest pictures of the slutsler. I love the badlands on whatever wheels those are. Looks almost like a fifth scale Baja or something. I always loved the badlands but they torn up my axles and I should regeared. Lessoned learned like most everything else.

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Champion
    I just picked up set of the new 2.2 Badlands. BTW They are the JConcepts Tense wheels. Look awesome IMO. But they are a pain to glue up. When using the badlands you almost have to have steel driveshafts and steel gears, They do put a beating on the drivetrain. But the hook up so good.

RC Competitor
    Nice design... I've had my NR for 6 years and it has never let me down! Also some modded shocks are a good adition to the car.

RC Champion
    Two questions.

Can you run the revo spec slipper clutch assembly on a stock rustler transmission?

While I was trying to tune the 2.5 yesterday. If I was just sitting there idling the truck was pulling itself forward under its own power. Is the low speed too rich or the idle speed to high?

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Champion
    Probably a little of both. Or your clutch spring can be starting to wear out. But doubt its that. Try reducing your idle until it doesnt pull off. If it stalls before you get it to that point inspect your clutch. Its been a long time since I used the stock clutch. But it did happen to me once with the spring wearing out.

RC Champion
    So I finally got some time to mess with this thing again. Now when its just sitting there the motor just revs high, very high and stays there. What in the world is causing that?

RC Competitor
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94808

Here is the thread. I keep this flow chart at all times basically this and trial and error helped me learn how to tune.

RC Qualifier
    It could be an air leak causing a lean issue. Check everything over really good, your tubing, fuel cap, and exhaust coupler. Is there any signs of leaking around the front bearing when it is running. You may have to back out to factory tune and start all over. Also check your clutch, and spring, if the spring has come off, it could cause something like that.

RC Competitor
    But wouldn't a leak of any kind cause a loss of compression and wouldnt run at all or run poorly?

RC Champion
    Thanks silverdude.

The motor is almost brand new, fuel tubing it new. Nothing seems to be out of sort from what I can tell. I do need to check the clutch though. I tired setting it back to a factory tune but haven't gotten any luck with that.