RC poster

Angry ERBE Waterproof?

I just bought a new ERBE with the MXL 6s ESC. I was motivated by waterproof, but after reading my manual I noticed that the fan is not waterproof and has to be removed before running in a wet environment. In order to remove the fan you must take apart the receiver box to unplug the fan. I'm concerned about the ESC running hotter than normal with the fan removed. I was wondering if Traxxas should advertise....CAN BE MADE TO BE WATERPROOF!

RC Champion
    I don't think you have to worry about the ESC overheating, if you are gear it down.
    1/10 Xray T3. No Traxxas RCs right now.

I have not had any issues with mine running without the fan in water. I use 4s and factory gearing. If you want to run 6s keep an eye on temps, but I have not heard of any issues there either. If it gets hot change the gearing or go down on the cell count. Remember that water is extremely heavy and puts a very high load on the system when the tires try to push through it.

For high speed running on dry pavement I put the fan back in, gear it up and strap in my 6s setup.

RC poster
    I'm currently running 18/54 gearing with 4s. I guess my biggest gripe is the way they blow up the advertising as waterproof, and it is not waterproof without modification. I can make almost anything waterproof if I want to modify it. I can't even hose the truck off to clean it. I bet if I run the ESC without the fan and it is damaged, I'll be up a creek.

Why can't you rinse the truck off to clean it?

I also highly doubt you will be up any creek for running the RC without a fan. It is a part of this hobby to monitor your RC... this includes adjusting gearing to match your driving style. There is no such thing as perfect gearing for everyone, Traxxas just gives you a starting point.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    The reason you shouldn't rinse the truck off is because the fan on the ESC is not waterproof. There is a reason the ESC is manufactured and shipped with a fan, and I therefore had concerns about running temps. Gearing was never a question.

You can still rinse the truck off with the fan on... as long as you are not rinsing it off with the RC powered up and give it time to dry before you run it again.

I have rinsed off my RC's with fans without any ill effects... as a matter of fact I have ran my RC's with fans in damp and wet conditions without any ill effects; but never submerged, just wet grass and the occasional accidental puddle. -- This includes my MM2 powered RC.

I think you may be taking precautions to extremes.

RC Champion
    With the stock gearing on the stock NiMH or 4s it will be fine without the fan. Geared higher or on 6s I would certainly keep an eye on it. I don't really see the big deal about removing the fan, it's not really mod in my book. If you don't want to have to open the RX box every time just use a servo extension routed outside the box to plug the fan into, that's what I do.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC poster
    Thank you guys for all of the feedback. I feel a little better about not being so cautious. This my first experience with the castle products, and I realize they're not cheap to replace.

RC Racer
    what do you mean by running a servo extension? is that an additional servo that'll turn on and off the fan as needed?
    Good, Fast, Cheap; You can only have two

RC Qualifier
    no it's a servo wire extension.you can get short ones to put in the box to just outside the rx box and plug everthing into so you don't have to open the rx box everytime you want to unplug anything.i use them for the esc wire to hook up to the castle link

RC Racer
    oh, so it's just a small pig tail or jumper to get out of the rx box.. that's a pretty good idea. i suppose you could also wire an inline switch for the esc fan too then. right?

RC Qualifier
    yes and yes

RC poster
    I'm liking that idea a lot also. Now I will have to find such a plug. Great idea thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I dont have a new waterproof Revo, but I did have a brushless revo not long ago.. My fan didnt work on the ESC for years, I ran it on 5s and beat the heck out of it.. It never gave me any trouble. maybe I was lucky or maybe the ESC's are an excellent product.

I would say, and this is only my opinion that it is not that crucial to make sure the fan is plugged in anytime you are not running it in water.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

^ proves that proper gearing goes a long way in controlling temps..
    Ebay
    look for esc input harness with a male / female ends..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    so i posted about having a radio that can control lighting, could it be done with relative ease to have the fan set up in such a way to be able to turn on and off by remote?

It would require the same items... an open/unused channel on the radio and a receiver controlled switch. I am not sure that will help with saving the fan from water though.

RC poster
    If you consider to run in the water or some wet place, you will be fine without a fan. The wet condition help the esc to cool down. For dirt bash. Fan is necessary.

RC Competitor
    You don't want to water log the fan either. I believe it's the bearings that make the biggest issue with it being submerged. That's why they say to remove it.
    New ERBEWP, going 2s2p 9400mAh