RC Champion

Just the beginning...

Just hit the button at Tower for a blue one. Also ordered an extra motor plate to modify for the VXL mini system that will be shoehorned in. I've been eyeballing the Mamba Micro as well but would really like to keep this little guy all Traxxas, brushless and waterproof. Can't wait to get started.
    Never do anything half fast. Hey Ya'll, watch this

Welcome to the club! Keep us updated!
    Is owning 25 RC's too many?... Nope!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by glbobo View Post
    Just hit the button at Tower for a blue one. Also ordered an extra motor plate to modify for the VXL mini system that will be shoehorned in. I've been eyeballing the Mamba Micro as well but would really like to keep this little guy all Traxxas, brushless and waterproof. Can't wait to get started.
    Let us know how the VXL system works out. I put the 2500mah lipos in and it really screams with the stock motor. Can u send a link to the motor system you are talking about. I have the Summit VXL but I don't think you are talking about that system. Sounds like there is a micro system,
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Champion
    VXL3m out of one of my 1/16 scale. Just printed scale pics to get an idea of what alter egos it may have for us. If anyone knows the hex size please let me know. Also is the hex the same size as the Rally. I have seen the difference in the two but couldn't find dimensions.

RC Racer
    It seem they used a 12mm hex on the Teton. The rally is an odd 8mm hex.

RC Champion
    It arrived today with a couple of goodies. It is the blue one and I will be pulling the motor and esc as soon as it comes out of the box and hope to have the brushless motor attached to the extra stock mount by this weekend. Pics coming soon.

RC Champion
    Well, I am very happy with the mock-ups so far. The motor mount has to be modified for the bolt pattern, of course, but also the set screw on pinion needs to be shortened. To dremel the motor mount for the larger pinion/set screw in combination with bolt pattern would require too much material to be removed from the small motor block. I've snapped a few pics and will get them in the bucket soon. It seems the gear pitch is the same as 1/16.

RC Champion
    I did the chassis support for the 380 motor;

I am using a 19 pinion with the 60 spur, 18 is the smallest that could be used due to the motors proximity to the chassis brace.

This is with the 18 installed;

And the set screw will be shortened. It hits the mount when tightened and I would rather keep as much mount as possible.

Here it is before unboxing and taken apart.

This is the organ donor.

I now have to wait on some new mounts to finish mocking up a couple bodies. Will dremel the mount today and hope to run it later.

RC Champion

How she sits presently.

Getting the first set-up mocked up.

The SPC batt mounts on its side and fits perfectly. Kept the Teton bumpers on for now and considering dye for the shock assemblies. This little thing is going to be a blast.

Pics soon of chassis mod for the 380VXL. It sat at an angle to the spur and needed the stock cut-out extended to get it to parallel.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    sweet. What body is that?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    That is the RC18B body and is as close to perfect as it gets.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    holy cow! man you did a lot of thinking I see for this type of project! very nice and innovative. That body and wing is cool my man.

RC Qualifier
    i like it a lot!

RC Champion
    couple pics of battery installed and plugged in.

May be awhile before paint.

RC Qualifier
    let's see it painted!?...

RC Champion

Finally painted...

Been quite a while. I have finally painted the buggy body.

First time out this morning at work. Very fast. Tried to do a cyclone on the pavement with the foam tires and tweeked the rear diff. Tick Tick Tick...Still runs fine but I will have to tear into it.

RC Champion
    I pulled the diffs and could not find anything noticeably wrong. No teeth broken, no debris. Still runs fine but has the tick any time the diff gets stressed. Ordered the ball diffs for rc18t and might arrive tomorrow. Should be able to post pics of the installation when I get started on it. I forgot to order the plastic pinion for the new ball diffs though and I believe those are needed.

RC Champion
    Installed the rear ball diff and will post pics soon. Used 3 shims and left the steel pinion for now. Contemplating running it with the stock front gear diff.
    Had thrust bearing grease but used brake caliper grease for the diff balls.

RC Champion
    Now have ball diffs in front and rear. Best upgrade you could do, in my opinion. Really easy to adjust once installed. I ran with gear diff in front for a couple packs and developed really loud tick. Louder than it had when rear started. I'm getting a few pics together now.

RC Champion

Ball diffs installed.

Finally dug out the pictures of the ball diffs going in. They have been fantastic. Easy to adjust too, if needed. I made a few runs with Teton treads but they were easily spun off with enough throttle.

I used shrink wrap on outdrives because the original sleeves did not fit. This wrap has held up perfectly.

I found pieces of spider gears when the front started clicking. That was the second hard run after the rear was done.

But I was using the rubber tires when that happened.

I made a few runs withTeton treads but they were easily spun off with enough throttle.

RC Champion

Cold plastic

Single digit temps and a few cartwheels took out the mount for the wing.

I did add alum drive shafts and recieved the GTR shocks. Loaded them up with 60wt oil but they're not mounted yet. Gonna wait for the SST chassis.

It is now getting mocked up for the RJ Speed stock car body. Pics soon. Just waterproofed the Mamba on the Mini ERBE using Corrosion-X and I can't wait to get it wet. The little Teton has done everything but swim in the snow and water so far. I could not do that with the Mini until now.

RC Champion

Stock car set-up

Started mock-up of the RJ Speed body.

Had to move camber in.

Also had bought these for Teton but the were to short. I then shortened them more for the new body with small pieces of hose on the shaft inside the shock body.

I'm hoping to get it painted and test run this weekend. I haven't run the chassis set-up yet so even if I don't get the time to paint it, it should still be road tested. It should be close to the Rally with a little less travel in the suspension.

RC Champion

Stock car body

Finished painting and testing the new body. Had to open the front wheel wells to the front and rear of the wheels as they did rub when turning and at the bottom of suspension travel.

The paint is Faskolor Faschange Blue. You can barely see it but in the sun, the blue tint is strong. I had planned to do both bolts in blue but changed it to match the bi-color in the skull.

I did the Greatful Dead lightening bolts a different color on each side and matched the wheels also.
    Given the chance to do this paint job again, I would ghost the lightening bolts.

Still have a few decals and trim work to do.
    It handles really well with the wider stance but I haven't driven the Rally so no comparison for me to gauge the difference.

RC Competitor
    Your "Teton" looks great. Awesome quality on all of the custom work. Kudos.

RC Champion

SST chassis

Next up is a simple conversion to SST.

The SST chassis has a hole in the spur gear area that will probably get covered somehow.

This is the length comparison. The SST is 5/8" longer.

I'm also about to install telemetry on the MERV and I will try it on the SSTeton eventually.

RC Champion

Update and 4 Sale Feeler...

I've been busy with a drone kit and wanted to update.
    Actually ended up finding a used SST on ebay instead of swapping chassis. It arrived with broken shafts and diffs. Worked out perfect for me. Put ball diffs and alum shafts in with a Mamba Micro and 5300 0808 motor.

Now I have one of each...

I will be selling the lot soon. Getting it gathered up now for the Marketplace.

I also set up FPV on the SST. Pics of that up when I get to them.

RC Champion
    Found the FPV set up. I took the VXL out of the Teton and plan to put the Castle in. I still have the brand new system originally from the Teton. I put the used SST gear in for now. I'm selling everything except the VXL system (back in my Rally) and the FPV gear which is used for the drone..

Now it is time to try a Slash 4x4 and just don't have room to keep them all. I'll get the pics of all items being sold and post a couple here before the Marketplace.

Impressive, 1/18 is a fun scale, youve built some nice ones.

RC Champion

Going up for sale.

Here are a few snapshots of the items I would like to sell.

I'm still trying to figure out a few pricing options that could include the VXL system.

RC Champion
    This is now for sale in the Marketplace. This little thing has been a blast. Now the new Slash 4x4 is already being torn apart for customizing.