RC Racer

MIP Race Duty CVD's, a mini review

I installed the MIP race duty CVD's on my Tellup4de about 2 weeks and 8 packs ago. I have bashed it and the MIP's as hard as I can so for. Big air and hard landings, full speed 100 foot cart wheels. Hard slides where it would end up rolling backwards and then going full power forward. The MIP's are holding up just fine and were a simple install. There were 2 issues early on however and I will explain but first a brief description of what I am running.

Traxxas aluminum C-hubs
    Traxxas aluminum steering knuckles
    Traxxas aluminum rear axle carriers
    Traxxas bearings through out
    120a WP SC8 ESC
    Tacon 3660-2600 KV motor
    SPC 6500 mAh 65c 2s
    Onyx 5000 mAh 25c 3s
    And the week link that I will take care of soon---Traxxas Stampede 4x4 plastic a-arms.

Issue #1- I had to lower my ride height because the dog bones would come out of the diff cups. What made me scratch my head was that it only did this when I cartwheeled my truck.
    Issue #2- In sandy or dusty conditions the grease will become a lapping compound so I removed the grease and used WD-40 before, during, and after my bash sessions.

During cartwheeling the suspension sometimes gets stretched to the maximum which might cause the dogbones popping out.

Sent from Tapatalkonia
    Nobody is born with experience

Are these the new steel cvds if so I am looking forward to seeing how strong they are compared to the heavier x dutys.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

What suprises me of the MIP Race Duty dogbones, is that they become thinner at the cup end. That is exactly the place where my FLM ones (which have the same) started to bent. A pro is that you don't need different bearings or axle carriers.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    did they purposely design the bones to thin out at the end for the up and down movements of the arms?
    humay has left the building, peace.

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    did they purposely design the bones to thin out at the end for the up and down movements of the arms?
    Yeah, that is probably the case. Considering that, I don't understand why they didn't make the whole dogbone the same width, like Tekno did.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Are these the new steel cvds if so I am looking forward to seeing how strong they are compared to the heavier x dutys.....peace
    These are the steel CVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    What suprises me of the MIP Race Duty dogbones, is that they become thinner at the cup end. That is exactly the place where my FLM ones (which have the same) started to bent. A pro is that you don't need different bearings or axle carriers.
    Yesterday I had a dog bone pop out of the diff cup. Again. And sure enough the axle is bent right where it thins out near the diff cup... This just will not do.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-21-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: merge

Well first email Matt from mip and get a replacement and I think I will stick with the X dutys till they quit......peace

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Well first email Matt from mip and get a replacement and I think I will stick with the X dutys till they quit......peace
    +1 MIP has excellent customer service. I think the X-Duty ones are stronger. If you use pins instead of the grub screws, the only disadvantages are the larger rotating mass and the less smooth running when the suspension is stretched.
    Until today, Tekno is my fav choice with a close second spot for the X-Duty ones. I never used the Race Duty ones myself.

I am in the same boat as you Pete when my mips give up I will look into teknos for sure but so far my mips have only failed once in three years and that was a coupling pin snapping ......peace

RC Racer
    Well I never got around to e-mailing Matt over at MIP. I would not want to replace a part that was never mint for bashing with another of the same part anyhow. Three out of the four Race Duty axles are now bent. I put traxxas plastic back on just to keep my Tellup4de rolling. The Race Duty MIP axles just ain't made for basher duty. The X-Duty MIP axles have been ordered and should be in the mail today.

Thanks for the review dude it's a shame they didn't work out for youI will stick with my X duty driveshafts just because I know how super tough they are.You will love them ......peace

RC Racer
    Hey. MIP axles are good stuff. If I can't get the Race Duty CVD's replaced by MIP I might just try to straighten them out and go from there. Then they will get a new home on an Ultimate Slash with VXL electronics and power.

I'm really looking forward to the arrival of my X-Duty MIP's. On my first run with new plastic axles I twisted out the left front u-joint thingy. Limping home with 3 wheel drive and pulling hard left I was able to get some good air and powered into a backflip and landing on the right rear wheel and twisted that axle a part too. But hey the right front wheel pulls and the left rear wheel pulls..... kinda drives in a straight line.

Goat

RC Racer
    I went went the Traxxas CVD's . fit like a glove and no issues after 12 hours of runtime. Im glad I went this direction because for the amount of money pay for CVD's fit issues are completely unacceptable!

Tell us how it turns out with the replacement of the damaged axles man......peace