RC poster

Problems with brand new Stampede 4x4 VXL

Hey guys,

Picked up my Stampede yesterday but have had quite a few issues with it since getting it. I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I've done quite a bit of searching and found people with similar problems, but unfortunately none posted solutions apart from replacing the esc / motor with aftermarket ones.

The main one is there appears to be something wrong with the ESC/Motor?. Basically there are 2 main problems:

1) Quite often (enough to be very annoying) but intermittently the car wont respond to either forward / reverse from the transmitter. If i watch the car, I can see the ESC light turn off when i move the trigger on the receiver (as expected), so its definitely receiving signal, but the car wont move. If i either pull the trigger 5 - 6 times in quick succession, or move the car physically it will then start to run again. It will then run fine until the problem occurs again. When it does occur, I cant hear either the motor or the slipper clutch working. The car doesnt stutter or shudder like i would expect, it just doesnt move at all. It looks like their is no signal being sent to the motor?
    2) Similar to above, if I ever try to move the trigger slowly the car wont move, and then all of a sudden, will come on close to full power. This is very similar to cogging, but is the most extreme cogging I have ever seen.

To give some background I own quite a few RC cars (about 9...). From Traxxas I have a ERBE, A Summit, A brushed E Revo, a MERV and a Latrax Rally. Not claiming i'm an expert, but i've been around quite a few RC cars so im not totally foreign to what to expect.

This is the first car I have ever had these kind of problems with. My LHS has been helpful but at this stage is saying that the issue is because its an sensorless motor and is quite normal. Owning both sensored (I run a Tekin in the Summit) and 2 sensorless (ERBE and MERV) this doesn't seem quite right. I've never experienced anything like this in either of those. Yes, I experience cogging in the ERBE at low speeds but nothing like this... As far as i can tell the most similar car should be the MERV with the vxl 3m, but I don't have any issues with that at all.

So far I have tried:

* Charging the supplied NIMH battery again.
    * Turning on LVC, and then off again.
    * A different NIMH battery (fully charged)
    * A different transmitter (which somehow died during the process but that's another story )
    * Turning on LVC
    * A 4000mah 2s Traxxas Lipo pack
    * A 5000mah 2s Traxxas Lipo pack
    * Resetting the ECU
    * Clearing throttle endpoints on the transmitter
    * Unplugging and then replugging the ESC / Motor wires
    * Unplugging the connects from the Rx and then reconnecting them

Despite this, it's still occurring. Even worse, its happening more and more frequently. So much so, that now its about 1/3 of the time after the car comes to a complete stop it will not respond to the trigger.

I've had a rough run with Traxxas kit over the past 2 days (after a year of no issues...) so i'm really hoping I can get this sorted. I don't really see the option of spending $150 on a replacement ESC / motor on a brand new car as a reasonable solution.

Any help really appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    Check over all the signal wires really well including the female and male connecting pins. Then, if that won't fix it, I would call traxxas and get a replacement esc. The esc sounds like it is the problem....
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like bad luck mate
    as its brand new I would take it back to shop for a replacement
    am new to the hobby so no other help I can offers
    hope you get sorted
    Paddy

RC Racer
    A buddy of mine had the exact same problem on his Stampede. But only after we had installed a new Velineon 3500 motor. We found that the wire in motor terminal B had a bad solder joint and was in fact loose. The wire would not pull out of the terminal but would spin inside of it. After re-soldering (a,b, & c) all is well and the problem has never returned.

Hope this helps.

Goat

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice guys... more importantly thanks for letting me know that this doesnt sound normal... I was really beginning to worry about the truck if this was normal behaviour. Hopefully I just had some bad luck with it.

My biggest problem is that it is an intermittent issue, and every time I step back into the store it seems to behave quite well with only minor glitches. Definitely sounds like a signal / connection problem.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KC5H View Post
    A buddy of mine had the exact same problem on his Stampede. But only after we had installed a new Velineon 3500 motor. We found that the wire in motor terminal B had a bad solder joint and was in fact loose. The wire would not pull out of the terminal but would spin inside of it. After re-soldering (a,b, & c) all is well and the problem has never returned.

Hope this helps.

Goat
    Thanks for this. How did you identify that it was loose? Is it possible to do so without doing anything that would void the warranty? Definitely sounds like it could save me a few weeks wait as it gets sent back to Traxxas..

Give Traxxas a call, they'll replace it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=maraach;5627297]Thanks for this. How did you identify that it was loose? Is it possible to do so without doing anything that would void the warranty? Definitely sounds like it could save me a few weeks wait as it gets sent back to Traxxas..[/QUOT]

We just took out the motor and removed the plastic end cap to check the solder joints and voila...we found a loose solder joint.
    I don't thank this would void any warranties because you'ed have to remove the end cap to install the rebuild kit. That is, if you were ever to rebuild one.

Goat

I would just give traxxas a ring or go back to your lhs and see what they can do for you.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Just wondering if you got anywhere with this. I have the exact same issue on a brand new truck. I've called Traxxas and have a rma to send back, just wondering if this is the only option. They want both the motor and esc. The guy on the phone didn't seem surprised at all when I told him the problem, not a good sign if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskoka View Post
    Just wondering if you got anywhere with this. I have the exact same issue on a brand new truck. I've called Traxxas and have a rma to send back, just wondering if this is the only option. They want both the motor and esc. The guy on the phone didn't seem surprised at all when I told him the problem, not a good sign if you ask me.
    You must remember that the vxl system is in so many vehicles they are bound to have one or two with a problem.my vxl system ran perfect for 14 months before I pushed it to hard and sent it into meltdownso just let traxxas do their top customer service and hook you up will a replacement........peace

RC Enthusiast
    And if it was yours you would be as mad as I am. These things aren't cheap, and now I have to spend more money in shipping to get parts replaced for something that's been used for a total of 10 minutes. It would be great if I could take it back where I bought it, but once the box is opened it's yours to deal with.

A Google search will tell you there's more than a few with the exact same issue, a lot more than one or two. You can try to minimize the issue all you want, this thing should have never left the factory in this state. After you beat the crap out of it, then fine, but not straight out of the box.

I have a lot of rc equipment, boats, planes, helis, quads, snow machines, and this is my first Traxxas product, say what you want, it's not a good start. I've never had something that didn't work fine right from the start, and if it was questionable I cold at least return it for a replacement or refund. I'm now stuck with this thing, and have to dish out more money to get something that's usable, that's not right.

I don't care how good their warranty or service is. The best warranty is one you don't need to use, not the case here, unfortunately.

Rant over....

Glen

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-11-2014 at 10:28 AM.

RC Racer
    And if it was yours you would be as mad as I am. These things aren't cheap, and now I have to spend more money in shipping to get parts replaced for something that's been used for a total of 10 minutes. It would be great if I could take it back where I bought it, but once the box is opened it's yours to deal with.

A Google search will tell you there's more than a few with the exact same issue, a lot more than one or two. You can try to minimize the issue all you want, this thing should have never left the factory in this state. After you beat the crap out of it, then fine, but not straight out of the box.

I have a lot of rc equipment, boats, planes, helis, quads, snow machines, and this is my first Traxxas product, say what you want, it's not a good start. I've never had something that didn't work fine right from the start, and if it was questionable I cold at least return it for a replacement or refund. I'm now stuck with this thing, and have to dish out more money to get something that's usable, that's not right.

I don't care how good their warranty or service is. The best warranty is one you don't need to use, not the case here, unfortunately.

Rant over....

Glen
    You shouldn't feel this way.....Traxxas has millions of vehicles out there but only a very small percentage of people have problems...that goes for any mass produced products, yes expensive but yet so are real 1:1 cars and they also have some issues and recalls. Don't get frustrated, Traxxas customer service is top notch.. Yes it sucks to have your truck down, but hey it's an excuse to go buy another..lol
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-11-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: modifed quote

RC Enthusiast
    Ya, just venting. It's out of my system now. Sent motor/esc back 1/2 hour ago, definitely not working properly. Was thinking I might just buy another motor and esc (same), or perhaps a "upgrade". Will look into it. I'm sure it's going to be a month before the faulty parts are replaced. We have a great winter snow track setup, hate to be without the truck that long. I'm new to trucks, so the novelty is still very fresh.

Glen

I was only trying to put things into perspective because they sell more vxl systems because they are in so many of their vehicles so there is more chance of failure and you only hear about the bad stuff and never the good......peace

RC Enthusiast
    Yes I know. At this price point though I don't expect to see quality issues with a brand new product. If you break it from abuse, that's something totally different. I just bought a new motor and esc (stock) and they don't exhibit any of the issues like the ones I sent back. The originals are definitely defective. There's no way they should have ever left the factory floor. I'll have a spare of each now when the others get replaced.

I understand they have "millions" (a lot) of units out there. Were not talking about a design flaw, this truck was shipped to a retail store with very defective parts installed. Again, at this price point things like that shouldn't happen. If it were a new product to the market, and it was going through growing pains like many rc products seem to go through these days, fine, but this truck is far from new, and was unusable from the start, something I would have never expected from a company with such high regard in the rc marketplace.

What rubs me the wrong way is it's now cost me more money to get something that should have been flawless from the very beginning. If they reimburse me for the $25 in shipping to send the defective parts back, then it's not such a big deal. Doubt that's going to happen though.

Apologies to the moderator that edited one of my previous posts. I just signed on and didn't notice the post needed editing, thanks for "cleaning" it up.

Glen
    Last edited by Muskoka; 01-11-2014 at 04:55 PM.

I hope you have much better luck this time round dude and happy bashing......peace

RC Racer
    Yes I know. At this price point though I don't expect to see quality issues with a brand new product. If you break it from abuse, that's something totally different. I just bought a new motor and esc (stock) and they don't exhibit any of the issues like the ones I sent back. The originals are definitely defective. There's no way they should have ever left the factory floor. I'll have a spare of each now when the others get replaced.

I understand they have "millions" (a lot) of units out there. Were not talking about a design flaw, this truck was shipped to a retail store with very defective parts installed. Again, at this price point things like that shouldn't happen. If it were a new product to the market, and it was going through growing pains like many rc products seem to go through these days, fine, but this truck is far from new, and was unusable from the start, something I would have never expected from a company with such high regard in the rc marketplace.

What rubs me the wrong way is it's now cost me more money to get something that should have been flawless from the very beginning. If they reimburse me for the $25 in shipping to send the defective parts back, then it's not such a big deal. Doubt that's going to happen though.

Apologies to the moderator that edited one of my previous posts. I just signed on and didn't notice the post needed editing, thanks for "cleaning" it up.

Glen
    Chances are your going to want "more power" soon anyway. So what I would do is sell the new set they send you, then use that money to get a castle setup, or hw sc8 esc and your choice of motor.. Nothing wrong with Traxxas stuff, I just like to be able to change settings in the esc ( lipo cutoff, punch control, etc...) and be able to run a 4 pole motor

RC poster
    Unfortunately not sorted yet. I had a day out where it actually behaved reasonably well... For the first 5 minutes anyway. Then I was going along the track at fall pace down the back straight, came to the corner, tried to put on the brakes and unfortunately this is one of the times the esc decided not to listen to instructions. Car went full pelt into a wall. Ordered replacement parts and waiting for them to arrive .

I need to get it replaced. One of the problems for me is living in Australia. The warranty support isn't so great out here. It's also hard for the LHS. I appreciate that every time I go in there it exhibits very few issues. I just want to get this sorted before im out of the 30 day warranty period.
    Last edited by maraach; 01-12-2014 at 03:48 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipo-power-please1582 View Post
    You shouldn't feel this way.....Traxxas has millions of vehicles out there but only a very small percentage of people have problems...that goes for any mass produced products, yes expensive but yet so are real 1:1 cars and they also have some issues and recalls. Don't get frustrated, Traxxas customer service is top notch.. Yes it sucks to have your truck down, but hey it's an excuse to go buy another..lol
    Guys, im trying to not get upset here but continuing to hear about this top notch customer service when I was recently told "oh sorry, you live in Australia, its cheaper to just buy a new one because we will charge you like $100 shipping back" isnt making me feel this way. Appreciate you've had great customer service, but there are some of us who arent doing as well. Having someone tell you how great it is isnt making me feel better.

RC Enthusiast
    maraach, I understand exactly what your saying.

The best customer service / warranty policy is the one you never have to use. Unfortunately with Traxxas products, from the time of purchase and opening, your stuck with it. When I bought the motor and esc yesterday, they told me that if the new ones are defective as well, you have to deal with Traxxas at your own expense, the retailers want nothing to do with follow up / returns on faulty Traxxas parts.

As far as I'm concerned this is a strike against Traxxas. I could take that motor / esc home hook it up, never take the truck out, have the same issue as the originals, and I'm stuck with more defective stuff that I have to rectify at my expense. That's just wrong, and something Traxxas needs to sort out with their authorized sellers. If something is defective, it's defective and you should be able to return it for full refund. It shouldn't be a financial loss / burden to the customer. That truck I have that was useless from day 1, I should have been allowed to stick it back in the box and drop it on the counter at the retailer and get a full refund, barring any obvious abuse. That's not the case, not for anything Traxxas.

They better have the best customer service / warranty policy. And all returns / warranty work should be at their expense, fully. It should not cost the end user a dime. Without the option to take a product back to the point of purchase and get satisfaction, Traxxas need to step up and take the "full" hit on anything that's defective from the time of sale.

Again, anything that has obvious abuse / signs of use should be exempt from this, but new products that are defective should not cost the buyer anything to get replaced, unfortunately this is not the case.

If their product was bullet proof, I wouldn't have a problem with the no return policy, problem is the product is not bullet proof. If it were, we wouldn't have to be here discussing this "problem".

Glen
    Last edited by Muskoka; 01-12-2014 at 08:53 AM.

RC Racer
    maraach, I understand exactly what your saying.

The best customer service / warranty policy is the one you never have to use. Unfortunately with Traxxas products, from the time of purchase and opening, your stuck with it. When I bought the motor and esc yesterday, they told me that if the new ones are defective as well, you have to deal with Traxxas at your own expense, the retailers want nothing to do with follow up / returns on faulty Traxxas parts.

As far as I'm concerned this is a strike against Traxxas. I could take that motor / esc home hook it up, never take the truck out, have the same issue as the originals, and I'm stuck with more defective stuff that I have to rectify at my expense. That's just wrong, and something Traxxas needs to sort out with their authorized sellers. If something is defective, it's defective and you should be able to return it for full refund. It shouldn't be a financial loss / burden to the customer. That truck I have that was useless from day 1, I should have been allowed to stick it back in the box and drop it on the counter at the retailer and get a full refund, barring any obvious abuse. That's not the case, not for anything Traxxas.

They better have the best customer service / warranty policy. And all returns / warranty work should be at their expense, fully. It should not cost the end user a dime. Without the option to take a product back to the point of purchase and get satisfaction, Traxxas need to step up and take the "full" hit on anything that's defective from the time of sale.

Again, anything that has obvious abuse / signs of use should be exempt from this, but new products that are defective should not cost the buyer anything to get replaced, unfortunately this is not the case.

If their product was bullet proof, I wouldn't have a problem with the no return policy, problem is the product is not bullet proof. If it were, we wouldn't have to be here discussing this "problem".

Glen
    Hmmm..I find this odd. My LHS will warranty Traxxas stuff if it's defective out of the box..only ever seen one guy have to use it. He had a bad servo on his mini revo, and my LHS didn't have one on the shelf so they exchanged the whole car!!! Also on a side note, I just went and looked.. Nowhere on the box does it say "bulletproof". In any case most LHS will warranty defective out of the box equipment, don't know why they say "your stuck with it if it doesn't work" I wouldn't shop there any more...even eBay has return policy on defective items...I truly am sorry about your troubles and I know it's frustrating dropping a bunch of money on something and it not work. I recently had to send in my $700 pistol for a recall..it took three months to get it back, but in the end they made it right...so like I said before, this is probably a fluke and you won't have any more problems. Everyone gets unlucky sometimes in something.. Good luck

RC Enthusiast
    As I stated in my post, this wasn't a hobby shop, it's a local retailer that sells Traxxas (Futureshop / BestBuy), and they want nothing to do with Traxxas returns, on anything. If the package is opened, they won't take it back. They even have a disclaimer on their website stating so. Closet hobby shop to me is 2 hours away, not like it's right around the corner, so the only viable option for purchase is from a "retailer".

In the long run I'm sure it will get sorted out, it just shouldn't be at the buyers expense, which so far it has. As far as "bulletproof", some around here would have you believe so, it seems, and is the cause for the original posters frustration. I only posted to let them (him/her) know their not alone, the product is far from bullet proof, and has issues like any other rc offering out there. And dealing with post purchase "issues", is a costly nuisance to the buyer, which it shouldn't be. If the product is that sound, then the retailers should be saying, if you ever have a problem with your Traxxas product bring it back anytime for a full refund, barring any obvious abuse, this is not the case. They sell it, but won't touch it once you've laid down your money. I don't know of anything that's dealt with like this, other than video / computer games that once there opened there yours.

Again, just stating that Traxxas should be telling their "sellers" that if you want to carry / sell our product, you need to be prepared to deal with returns / issues. The only response I got at Futureshop is, if it's Traxxas, it's yours as soon as the package is opened, we want nothing to do with it, you deal with Traxxas directly at your expense. This shouldn't be the case, that's all I'm saying, the point I'm trying to make.

Glen
    Last edited by Muskoka; 01-12-2014 at 09:46 AM.

RC Racer
    As I stated in my post, this wasn't a hobby shop, it's a local retailer that sells Traxxas (Futureshop / BestBuy), and they want nothing to do with Traxxas returns, on anything. If the package is opened, they won't take it back. They even have a disclaimer on their website stating so. Closet hobby shop to me is 2 hours away, not like it's right around the corner, so the only viable option for purchase is from a "retailer".

In the long run I'm sure it will get sorted out, it just shouldn't be at the buyers expense, which so far it has. As far as "bulletproof", some around here would have you believe so, it seems, and is the cause for the original posters frustration. I only posted to let them (him/her) know their not alone, the product is far from bullet proof, and has issues like any other rc offering out there. And dealing with post purchase "issues", is a costly nuisance to the buyer, which it shouldn't be. If the product is that sound, then the retailers should be saying, if you ever have a problem with your Traxxas product bring it back anytime for a full refund, barring any obvious abuse, this is not the case. They sell it, but won't touch it once you've laid down your money. I don't know of anything that's dealt with like this, other than video / computer games that once there opened there yours.

Again, just stating that Traxxas should be telling their "sellers" that if you want to carry / sell our product, you need to be prepared to deal with returns / issues. The only response I got at Futureshop is, if it's Traxxas, it's yours as soon as the package is opened, we want nothing to do with it, you deal with Traxxas directly at your expense. This shouldn't be the case, that's all I'm saying, the point I'm trying to make.

Glen
    Understood. Its too bad Walmart doesn't sell Traxxas because they accept returns on everything! Even half eaten food..sorry didn't realize you didn't get from a LHS. So hopefully you get it sorted out and best of luck to you.

RC Enthusiast
    Ya, as usual, the U.S. stores do, no go in Canada. There's a lot of products like that, makes no sense. We like those products as much as our American friends do. There's a Walmart 10 minutes away from me, but doesn't everyone have a Walmart within 10 minutes drive. Yes, they do take everything back.

I mistakenly left the motor plate attached to the motor "part 6890", and sent it to Texas with motor and esc, so I now have to order one to get truck going with the new motor and esc, what a dummy. At least the new motor and esc feel a lot better when powered up, no chuggy, chuggy, spit, fart, hum, buzz, these are nice and smooth throughout the whole throttle range.

Glen

Actually, looks like the stuff in the US is sold by "UnbeatableSale.com" through Walmart, whoever they are.
    Last edited by Muskoka; 01-12-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Maybe upgrade to a aluminium motor plate because it will help dissipate heat off the motor better than stock......peace

RC Enthusiast
    New motor and esc installed (stock), now this is how the truck should have ran from the beginning, what a difference. Put a set of Masher 2.8's on, and lowered the body. Much happier now, night and day difference with regards to throttle control.

Glen

Looking sweet man and I am happy you are enjoying the truck now your bank in the driving seat.......peace

RC poster
    Just an update...

Muskoka you had better luck than me. Its now been what... 2 months since i bought the truck and i still don't have a useable car. It came back from Traxxas warranty work last week (6 weeks away), no details provided apart from "no charge". This was my first point for concern. I then took a look inside it and noticed that it was the exact same ESC / motor (still had dust on it) and it didnt look like it had been touched at all. Trying to put this aside I asked my LHS to demonstrate it to me before I would take it home. Well... it was still exactly the same.

So, in the space of 2 months i had the car maybe 5 days.... for which it didn't work properly. Cant say i'm impressed and this is enough for me to pretty much have enough of Traxxas. I wanted the car DOA'd. This kind of "service" is unacceptable and I don't really care about the "how many million cars" posts... how would you feel in my position? This was my sons Christmas present. He never got to use it.

I've decided that I dont really have much choice but to cut my losses and buy a new ESC / motor. $600 for a car to sit at Traxxas doesnt seem like a good investment to me. Waiting another 6 weeks for the cart to come back and still not work is not an outcome im looking forward to.

If anyone can recommend a NON traxxas ESC / motor which works well in a Stampede 4x4 please let me know. Im really looking for something thats going to drop right in and give a similar level of power.. or if anything a little less would be good.

Thanks for any advice guys.