RC Enthusiast

OS 18 TM with Tmaxx manifold for Revo??

Afternoon....
    After many many gallons through my 3.3 she finally died. I am looking for a replacement. Years and years ago I had an OS 18 TM in a 2.5 revo and I loved it. Sadly, they are discontinued. I found one new with a tmax manifold though. Is this just a matter of using the manifold off my dead 3.3?
    I as also looking at the tz, but was thrown and confused by the needed mods to make it work.
    It's either these, or another 3.3.
    the 21 tm is a bit too pricey for now now.
    Any other options, or suggestions??
    Thnx

RC Qualifier
    If you still have the 18tm. You can use the crank and back plate on the 18tz. That's what I did.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    I don't. Just the used 3.3.

RC Racer
    The 3.3 manifold doesnt fit the TM...its too small.
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Enthusiast
    OK. So sounds like best and easiest bet is to replace the 3.3 with another 3.3.....
    Or find another tm with a revo manifold. Is it really that difficult to make the tz fit with either the ez start or a roto start?

RC Racer
    you can get a revo manifold for it on ebay new

RC Racer
    Or a THS system for a few more $
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Enthusiast
    Seems the revo manifold would be about 40 bucks. That plus the 150 or so for the motor and I'm creeping up on the 21 tm......LOL.....

RC Qualifier
    You can use the header from the revo platinum.

RC Enthusiast
    Those are only about 20 bucks. Manifold and header one in the same? Sorry of that question is a "duh" question...LOL

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=shwthomas1975@gmail.com;5649140]Those are only about 20 bucks. Manifold and header one in the same? Sorry of that question is a "duh" question...LOL [/QUOTE
    Yes

RC Champion
    Is it really that difficult to make the tz fit with either the ez start or a roto start?
    No. As Jersey Jato said, the 18TM crank and backplate fit the 18TZ. With the 18TM crank and backplate, the ez start or roto start, and the factory clutch setup all bolt right on, and the engine drops right in. One minor thing is the throttle arm on the carb slide. The TZ arm has a ball on the end, the TM is a straight post. The TZ can be ground down to work, but the TM arm is just a hair longer and works much better.

The TZ crank and backplate have no rear mounted starter provisions. It is bump start only. Another issue is that the front of the TZ crank is longer, which you compensate for by using a spacer in front of the clutch assembly. But, the threaded region is also longer, and the crank typically needs to be modified to allow the factory clutch assembly to end up in the right location, relative to the spur gear.

As you note though, the exhaust manifold is an issue too.

I use this manifold with my OS TM, and TZ's, on my Revo;
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Manifold-MTX

If I was weighing the cost of the 21TM, compared to the cost of a 18TZ (including buying the TM crank, backplate, throttle arm, and Mugen manifold), and they cost the same ......... I would still buy the TZ. I like the TZ's powerband.

Having said all that, yes, it is cheaper to just replace the 3.3 with another 3.3.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear