I’ve had my XO-1 for about 2 months now and before purchasing I already knew how I was going to paint my shelf queen body.
Sad to say, I’ve never been so frustrated in my RC life until I started working on this shell 2 weeks ago
Some of my frustration.
1. Learned that 1 can of Pactra paint is not enough for an XO-1 shell (I’m used to 1/10th scale bodies) So I ran out midway thru painting the body. Went to my LHS to get more and well…THEY WERE OUTTA STOCK AND PACTRA IS DISCONTINUING THERE PRODUCTS
2. Found it on ebay, but for 2 times the price I would normally have to pay. At this moment I’m somewhat angered.
3. The paint took close to 2 weeks to come in. The seller shipped 2 days after payment and somehow he’s a top rated seller on ebay?? Now I’m even more angered .
4. Finished the purple layout and took the plastic off too look at the final product. Noticed it looked a bit “see-thru” so I learned I had to “back it” from my lhs. Purchased pactra indy silver and backed it but since I took the protective layer off the top I got the silver on the outside body. At this point I told myself “I’m going to crash this shell on purpose” check the pic
5. Went to apply the side decals and as I peel off, the adhesive starts to stick on the body. (looks waaaay better than it did after 20 minutes of my fingernail scratching it away)
6. Went to apply the rear light decal and this happens trying to line it up right.
Well all in all I like the body but I don’t necessarily love it. A+ effort with a C- Job.
I’m just going to listen to some Prince to calm myself down
What do you guys think?
Last edited by G-Rustler; 03-23-2014 at 03:50 PM.
I had "hairy" decals like that once too. So annoying!!
Oddly enough, when i applied the Police/Swat decals to my XO-1 cop car.
XO-1 looks pretty slick w/o the spoiler.
Looks good though, love that purple.
(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²
I like it nonetheless.
Nice work, I like it!
Next time you are placing decals, a trick is to use a squirt bottle with a mild solution of dish soap in it. Spray the body surface where the decal is going to go, remove the backer on the decal, spray that as well. The decal can then be placed onto the surface and slid into place. Once in place where you want it, blot and squeegee the water away, until smooth and dry. The decals are locked down enough to allow working on the rest of the model, but will dry and set over night.
I do this for Lexan bodies and for my RC planes. A testament for its effectiveness is in some of the foam planes I have placed big decals on top of custom paint. I'm not sure if you have done this before, but this is the only way for there are no second chances for dry sticking, as it will lift the paint and be a useless decal.
I originally posted this in my Rally-1 Build
Wetting the body with a mild solution of water and dish soap makes placement of the decals much easier and precise
Wetting the back of the decal
Once in place the decal is squeegeed of water
This was a foam plane I did after painting the top olive drab and the underside sky grey. The decals were huge and had many contours to fill all over the wing, cowl and fuselage
There would have been no other way to do this model with out the soapy spray bottle technique
oh wow! thanks for the info my friend. Would have never thought of this process.
It's something I picked up from my full size car modding days, and sort of always did for any type of sticky decal that needed precise placement.
Body looks good as long as you dont keep posting the up close shots. Thats a amazing basher body as far as Im concerned! Theres always next time, and the next one will be C+ effort, A+ result no doubt.
For shipping paint, its always taken 1-2 weeks to arrive for me. Silly things like "hazardous" and "explosive" keeps it on the ground rather than by air so I have been told.
yea i noticed that just now i was attempting to show my co-workers your process and i didnt see it anymore.
The Super Derecho
Those are always a nice Detail touch. Although I have not yet done it for my XO-1, my Ultimate and both Rally's have them color keyed to match
Yea I also want to get the white dish wheels