RC poster

Post EMBE 6s FLM Hybrid Bulkhead Diff (guide I followed was wrong!)

Hi, first post here.

I'm in the process of upgrading my embe (6s) to be as bulletproof as possible.
    Many of the guides for diff upgrades are a few years outdated, and I kind of got burned by that.

While trying to follow this diff upgrade guide:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...(-all-models-)

I selected option C in step 2:

"Option C: Hit up google and locate the following part numbers:

HBSC8178 Hotbodies hardened differential x2
    HBSC8028 Hotbodies 43t front/rear bevel ( ring ) gear x2
    HBSC8030 Hotbodies 13t bevel ( pinion ) gear x2
    XRA962081 X-Ray 8x10x0.2mm washers/ shims ( any brand will actually be fine, just that size ) x1
    PTK-688-RSZZ Protek R/C 8x16x5mm bearings ( any brand is fine again, best quality you can afford ) x1"

It just so happens that part HBSC8178, as mentioned above, use to have a straight bevel.
    That has since been discontinued (around 2010 I think), and a part with the same model number is on amain (link below), but with a spiral bevel.
    I only realised once the two diffs arrived in the mail. The 13t pinion is straight cut

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...htning-Stadium

--

Does anyone know if:

A. I can just buy 2, spiralled pinions (and that will fit fine in the FLM hybrids - I've heard the spiralled bevel is slightly larger than the old straight one)?

B. There are any replacement, straight bevels that will fit directly onto the lightning stadium diffs?

C. I just have to bite the bullet and buy other diffs (eg. lst2)

Really appreciate your help!

RC poster
    Looks promising. Can anyone confirm that the straight gear/pinion will fit the lightning stadium diffs?

RC poster
    Lst2 diffs will not fit in FLM Hybrid bulks, ring gear is too big.

RC poster
    Appreciate the heads up with that. I was eyeing some Lst2 diffs this morning.
    I there somewhere that I can find a list of 1/8 scale diffs that DO fit in the FLM Hybrid bulks?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pachla View Post
    Is there somewhere that I can find a list of 1/8 scale diffs that DO fit in the FLM Hybrid bulks?
    I have same issues I read that hyper 7 8 or 8.5 diff will fit but I m not sure, if someone have some more knowledge it would be very appreciated

RC poster
    Suitable pinion for spiral geared Hot Bodies diff is this:

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...Input-Gear-10T

It's 10 tooth and I think it will fit because of its smaller tooth count even if it's spiralled. I would give it a try before spending money on new diffs. If you try, please let me know if it fits.

RC Racer
    The hyper 7 diff WILL fit in the hybrid bulks. That's what I am using for my emaxx build!
    E-maxx - The F1 Project

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stittsmaxx View Post
    Lst2 diffs will not fit in FLM Hybrid bulks, ring gear is too big.
    The diff itself fits, the problem is that the pinion is too short and it wont mesh correctly with the ring gear because it's positioned to far away from the cup.
    Revo 3.3, EMBE 6s, ERBE 6s (x2), Summit 4s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    The diff itself fits, the problem is that the pinion is too short and it wont mesh correctly with the ring gear because it's positioned to far away from the cup.
    So, I am going to eat my words. I received my shims today in the mail and was able to successfully install the LST2 diffs into the FLM hybrid bulkheads. I did have to use a round sanding drum mounted on my Dremel and gently open up the bore where the ring gear fits. The lst2 diff teeth are about 1mm larger in diameter than the bore of the bulk head. A few quick passes on just the side the ring gear rides in and done. The diff would then fit into the bulkhead. I then was able to shim everything up and the diffs run pretty smooth. No shims are required for the pinion, just a bunch on the ring gear side a few on the cup side.

RC Qualifier
    So I am looking to do the same thing as far as buying the ultimate hybrids that come with their diff's but this looks good too...what did it cost you to do the hybrids with lst2 diff's and shims??? And I assume you did f/r?

RC Qualifier
    I don't recommend the LST2 diffs. The pinions are not long enough to maintain correct mesh. Use either the Ofna/Hobao hyper 7 or 8 diffs, or order the Vorza Flux diffs. The vorza diff gears are spiral cut and will give you a very low final drive which will require a larger pinion gear to compensate. The vorza diffs were about $50 on ebay for a pair and the hybrid bulks were around $120. You will need a selection of 8x16mm shims to set up the gear mesh for the pinion. Make sure the diffs you order include the pinion cups. The hybrid bulks should include the outdrives to swap in place of the diff cups so that you can install the traxxas wheel drive shafts.

While I have my hybrid bulks assembled and ready to install into my emaxx, I have not completed the job because we just moved into temporary housing so all of my rc stuff is packed up.

RC Qualifier
    I must be missing something but when you purchase the ultimate hybrid, the details claim they supply u with bulk, diff, and out drives. So I think I won't use the vorza diff as a money thing unless the flm diff's won't hold?

RC Qualifier
    Go to the flm website and try to order the combination. You will see that they are out of stock and have been for a while. There were so sets of just the bulks floating around on eBay but they did not include the diffs. That's why we are having to by the diffs separately.

RC Qualifier
    Gotcha, so then the vorza diff is the best bet? I assume it just bolts right in?

RC Qualifier
    Can anyone please tell me the size of the bearings that come with the FLM Hybrid Bulk combo; the size of the two bearings that house the output shaft towards the transmission...mine were yellow on one side......mine broke and I need replacements. Thanks !

RC Champion
    The pinion bearings are 8x16x5mm

RC Qualifier
    Thank you very much for that information !