RC Enthusiast

4 minute run time on battery

The battery in my Stampede is only lasting about 4 minutes of run time before going dead...on a full charge.

What is the best option as an upgrade replacement? Everything else is stock.

Is there any type of battery to get more performance without necessarily upgrading anything else? I will likely upgrade other things as I go (new to this stuff), but the battery is top of the list at this point.

Model: TLP3605

RC Champion
    How old is your truck/battery?
    What kind of charger do you have?
    I take it you are using the original NiMH battery?

It would be wise to invest on a good charger, as it will last you throughout the years. And while you are there, might as well get one that supports lipo.

RC Competitor
    Does your charger display the voltage of the battery then dead and full?

If so what is it for both?
    I'm just trying to increase my post count.

RC Enthusiast
    The truck is pushing two years old; however, it has only seen light use. I typically charge after each use (usually running until almost dead).
    It still has the original battery installed. I have not made any modifications to the rig other than mounting a camera to it.

I have this charger, but I have never used it. I have only used the charger that came with the truck.

Is there a different type of charger I should get? What will be required to upgrade to "lipo"...whatever that is?

Quote Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
    The truck is pushing two years old; however, it has only seen light use. I typically charge after each use (usually running until almost dead).
    This is why your battery has failed.

There is a point in the (with a good NiMH) where it will have about half the speed at 50% throttle, this is when the pack has 'dumped' and when it is time to stop running. Discharging the battery after it has dumped heat-stresses it, and causes it to fail. NiMH are not like NiCDs, they do not need to be taking all of the way down to prevent a memory.

Most will scream "go lipo", but really a NiMH is fine. If you get another 7-cell, and don't run it until the truck can't move, it will last you years. I have NiMH packs that are 7 and 8 years old, that are still going strong.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Good to know! Thanks.

I had been concerned that I damaged the battery somehow. I am new to RC, and literally just started running it right out of the box without researching battery needs.

RC Qualifier
    As above; When it slows down bring it home and stop. I do prefer lipos but they have their peculiarities. Don

RC Enthusiast
    Is a lipo 2s 7.4v 3300mAh 25c something worth considering?

Would it require any mods other than a lipo charger?

RC Champion

A great battery at a great price is this one:
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=81

It, or the one you asked about, will not require any other upgrades to your truck but you will need a LiPo charger like you said. Since you said you run your truck only semi-regularly, the only thing you would need to do with this battery is to make sure you charged it to storage voltage between uses (7.6 V or 3.8V/cell).

Yup, there will be a little more speed over a NiMH, and the speed will be higher over the life of the charge.

Make sure you switch your ESC (assuming a waterproof XL5) to lipo mode.
    ESC LED = Green --> Lipo mode
    ESC LED = Red --> NiMH mode.

RC Enthusiast
    I do have the XL5. Mine runs with the green light on. It flashes red when the battery drops in power.
    Is it not running in the proper setting? I'm pretty sure I did the initial setup using the starting guide.

RC Champion
    That's your problem! You're running in LiPo mode with a NiMH battery. That will make it go into LVC way before the NiMH battery has been discharged. Switch back to NiMH mode (light turns red), and you will be back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    That's your problem! You're running in LiPo mode with a NiMH battery. That will make it go into LVC way before the NiMH battery has been discharged. Switch back to NiMH mode (light turns red), and you will be back to normal.
    Yup!
    The instructions show you how to do this.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    A great battery at a great price is this one:
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=81

It, or the one you asked about, will not require any other upgrades to your truck but you will need a LiPo charger like you said. Since you said you run your truck only semi-regularly, the only thing you would need to do with this battery is to make sure you charged it to storage voltage between uses (7.6 V or 3.8V/cell).
    Thank you for the suggestion. I went ahead and ordered that battery pack. Now I need to get a charger coming.

I am still considering going with a brushless upgrade, but I want to see what improvements I see from going with a lipo alone.

My next upgrades are steering and suspension.

RC Enthusiast
    What is a good, inexpensive charger for the SPC battery? I don't mind longer charge times.

RC Champion
    Imax b6 is not a bad choice IMO . But don't get the AC version.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
    Imax b6 is not a bad choice IMO . But don't get the AC version.
    Is this what you're talking about?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/iMAX-B6-RC-L...cAAOSwNSxVSGL2

Why not the AC version? If DC powered, what would I connect it to for power supply?

RC poster
    I use the same charger an I use an old computer atx power supply it puts out a constant 12.2 volts dc its easy 4 wires yellow is 12+ black is 12- one green wire from the big plug and a 12- wire goes to a switch I added fans uptop for cooling the charger an battery

RC poster

RC Enthusiast
    I just ordered this one with the AC adapter...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imax-B6-Lipo...AAAOSwPgxVPzy-

I appreciate the feedback. I am trying to learn a lot in a short amount of time; i.e., with least amount of down-time.

There are several of my guys here at work that are RC enthusiasts that have all of the sudden come out of the woodwork as I brought mine up to run here. Just like that, we have 7 RC vehicles flying around here after work.

RC Champion
    I just ordered this one with the AC adapter...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imax-B6-Lipo...AAAOSwPgxVPzy-

I appreciate the feedback. I am trying to learn a lot in a short amount of time; i.e., with least amount of down-time.

There are several of my guys here at work that are RC enthusiasts that have all of the sudden come out of the woodwork as I brought mine up to run here. Just like that, we have 7 RC vehicles flying around here after work.
    That sounds like a good time. I have just one other guy at work but we bash around the parking lot or the nearby track whenever we get the chance (lunchtime, after work, etc.). It's so much more fun bashing with friends.

RC poster
    And I seen in that link you just posted it looks.like. it comes with a European plug not american

RC Enthusiast
    Good catch on the picture. The description says US AC adapter, so I'll cross my fingers they get that correct.

RC poster
    If anything shoot the seller an email to confirm or ask for pics of the plug if it doesn't work out power supply is a fairly cheap and easy to do

And I seen that one is a 50w I have the same one but 80w

RC Enthusiast
    I just bought a 2WD Stampede a couple of months ago. I did go crazy on upgrading it, but I am very happy with it now and it is a lot stronger and durable. I used the NIMH batteries for a bit, but wanted to try a lipo. I got the Traxxas 25C 5000 2s battery. This provided a good increase in speed and power. Just today I bought a 3s and tried it out....the Stampede now goes ludicrous speed.....i must say it is awesome fast, but almost uncontrollable. Glad i got a wheelie bar!

oh and to figure out what all the stuff on a battery means (to my knowledge, someone correct me if im wrong)
    5000mah the higher the number the longer the run time
    2s or 3s number of cells. if you look, the 2s is 7.4 volts and 3s is 11.1 volts. 3s is insanely fast on the stampede
    25c haven't figured this one out. both lipos i have are 25c and i am happy with them

just remember, using lipo batteries can increase the heat of the motor and ESC. be sure to check them and make sure they are not over heating. i get about 20 - 25 min run time with the lipo batteries.

fyi, i did have to dremel out the battery holder on the stampede. the traxxas lipos are longer than the 7-cell batteries
    Last edited by hoojoe; 11-06-2015 at 10:34 PM.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by hoojoe View Post
    25c haven't figured this one out.
    Charge rating (capital “C”): This is how fast you can charge the battery. Now, this number is usually not listed. This is because most people aren’t interested in quickly charging their batteries since this puts a strain on them and shortens their life significantly. Most experienced hobbyists charge LiPo packs at 1 amp/cell.

Discharge rating (usually a small “c”): This is how fast a battery can be discharged safely. A high powered motor can damage or even burn up (fire) a battery with too low of a discharge rate. But buying a battery with a really high discharge rate would be a huge waste of money if your motor can’t use it.

In my opinion 25c is the minimum discharge rate to have. I would strongly recommend a higher rate, say 40c or better.

Traxxas LiPo batteries are excellent but they are very expensive so not a great value in my humble opinion.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Champion
    Is this what you're talking about?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/iMAX-B6-RC-L...cAAOSwNSxVSGL2

Why not the AC version? If DC powered, what would I connect it to for power supply?
    Yeah, and its better to get a separate AC/DC adapter, as the built-in one on the b6ac is mostly crap.

But I see you already made the good move.

RC poster
    I run a 4000mah 15c 3s lipo and I giggle like a school girl when I drive it with the lipo in lol.
    I have mainly nitros the stampede is my first newer brushless and compared to my 4-tec its the tortoise and the hair lol ludicrous speed fo'sho lol

RC Enthusiast
    i really like the ez peak charger
    i have the dual so can do two at once..
    perfect for half day trips