RC Competitor

highly recommended upgrades for a Telluride.

So I decided to finally spend some money on my stock telluride. After having it for a month, its a really fun truck but it needed a few upgrades to make it better.

All stock here.

And after the upgrades

Proline protrac kit, Losi ten T shocks, sway bars and of course a castle creations 3800kv sidewinder sct. It is so much more stable now, no more roll overs.

I think my next list of parts will be mip axles, ceramic sealed bearings and some rpm parts. I have proline beadlocks, trenchers x sc tires and a slipper clutch coming next week.

RC Competitor
    The trenchers will make a big difference. I have almost the identical setup with the exception of Traxxas big bore shocks and I installed the slipper as a part of the motor upgrade.

Our snow is starting to melt and I took it out on its first hard core bashing session and the trenchers handled the combination snow, slush, and mud great. Had I still had the stock tires I wouldn't have been going anywhere.

I highly recommend something like a outerwears chassis cover. Two hours in mud and snow so bad you couldn't walk on it without slipping and the motor and electronics had only a little bit of muddy water droplets. Without the cover I am sure that I would have ruined the fans with mud.

RC Competitor
    I'm looking forward to getting the trenchers installed. The stock tires look nice but they don't hook up at all. I found some stock 2.8 maxx tires for sale online too, I might get those as an extra set.
    I was looking at chassis covers, I need something to keep all the snow out, dusty motors makes a cover that looks decent. They aren't overly expensive either.

Thanks for the turnbuckle help, it can get a little confusing when it looks like they can all work at either end of the truck.

RC Racer
    looking good im running the castle system but havent changed the slipper yet it is awesome compared to stock
    other the the castle system im running proline sct beadlock wheels and trencher tires

RC Competitor
    Maybe traxxas will offer a telluride vxl in the future. A brushless system definitely makes things more interesting. I just ordered a 2075 steering servo, hopefully the added torque will help a little.

Im hoping my slipper clutch comes tomorrow, I believe it comes with a 54t spur, that paired with a 13t or 15t pinion should make it pretty quick, even on 2s. Maybe I'll get some video up if I get a chance.

RC Competitor
    Offering brushed vs VXL is a matter of marketing. Brushed gives them a lower cost 4x4 model and more people to take advantage of their trade-in upgrade program.

Based on my experience with other hobbies and sports, people start on an entry level, get hooked, go to the extreme, and finally settle on a more realistic place if they stick it out long term. This is why you see the long term RC guys doing more tuning of things than going for more horsepower. It seems as though there are 3-4 of us here that are still in the "go to extreme" stage.

I am running 13t which computes out to mid 30's top speed on 2S. After running for around 90 minutes bashing jumps, mud, and snow (motor was getting a work out) the motor was uncomfortable to touch, but not couldn't touch hot (guesstimate around 120F). This seems like it is the limit for down an dirty bashing.

RC Competitor
    Yeah i'd have to agree with you. An entry level $300 4x4 truck probably sounds like an excellent deal for someone new getting into the hobby or for a parent wanting to get their kids into the hobby. I've been into the hobby for about 12-13 years but always nitro. I picked the telluride because it was fairly cheap and 4wd. I really wanted to hop on the brushless motor and lipo technology boat. Plugging a battery in and flipping a switch is much simpler then fighting with a nitro engine, glad I made the change.

I just installed my slipper clutch tonight with a 13t pinion, its definitely faster then the old setup from the factory. Very wheelie happy on 2s. Also installed the proline trenchers and renegade beadlocks tonight, haven't got a chance to get them dirty yet.

RC Racer
    looks good i have the f11 red pro line beadlocks
    with a red telly

RC Competitor
    Got another set of tires today. Found these maxx 2.8 tires new on ebay from dollar hobbyz, should do pretty good in the snow. Yeah it's pretty much a stampede now but it looks good. Also upgraded the steering servo to a 2075.

RC Racer
    looks good with those tires and wheels

RC Racer
    what did you pay for them

RC Racer
    im coming up with 60 shipped i can get proline wheels and tires for a bit more
    why didnt u go proline?

RC Competitor
    I paid around $40 shipped for the maxx 2.8s. I also have the proline trenchers and beadlocks I have in the picture above the last pic. I also have a set of proline road rages mounted on desperado wheels and a set of masher 2000s mounted on rpm crawler revolvers. Those should be enough for now. I want to get a c10 body next but I'll probably wait till spring.

RC Competitor
    Heres the mashers, dont have a pic of the road rages but you guys know what they look like.

The mashers probably hook a little better then the 2.8 maxx tires. And yes those are 2.2 wheels, the rpm crawler wheels do clear.

RC Racer
    ill have to look again but i kept seeing 49 plus 10 shipping

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by racinmason View Post
    Heres the mashers, dont have a pic of the road rages but you guys know what they look like.

The mashers probably hook a little better then the 2.8 maxx tires. And yes those are 2.2 wheels, the rpm crawler wheels do clear.
    what offset wheels did u use

RC Competitor
    They raised the price on those quite a bit, I got them from the same sellers but they were $31.99 Plus 9.99 shipping. I just checked my paypal receipt.

Rpm calls them the wide wheelbase revolvers, the part number is 82232 for the black wheels. They offer them in chrome too.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTAE8&P=ML
    Last edited by racinmason; 02-10-2014 at 09:42 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by racinmason View Post
    They raised the price on those quite a bit, I got them from the same sellers but they were $31.99 Plus 9.99 shipping. I just checked my paypal receipt.

Rpm calls them the wide wheelbase revolvers, the part number is 82232 for the black wheels. They offer them in chrome too.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTAE8&P=ML
    yes, they raised them alot like 20 bucks more

RC Racer
    do you think there is more sidewall flex in the mashers or the maxx tires
    i still want the telly for speed to since i have the brushless system in it

RC Competitor
    I think they're pretty close but if I had to recommend one over the other, I'd have to say go with the mashers. They seem to be a little more stickier. I really like the maxx tires but I have a feeling the tire rubber is more of a long wear type. Since they jacked the price up on the maxx tires, I'd say definitely go for the mashers. Using the rpm wide crawler wheels will make your telluride a bit wider too.

RC Racer
    i think i might like the 2.8 set up better, ill just do proline 2.8 mashers on the proline wheels

RC Competitor
    Oh yeah that would look good. I didn't even know they made 2.8 mashers. The only reason I used the 2.2 mashers is because i've had them laying around for years. Bought them a long time ago for another truck and never really used them. Post pics if you get a set of the 2.8s.

RC Racer
    i might ditch the idea of mashers on 2.8 wheels
    proline is coming out with the super swampper for sct wheels

RC Competitor
    Oh I'd love to have some super swamper sct tires. How did you hear about those? I looked on their site but couldn't find anything.

RC poster
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/sneak-peak...mper-sc-tires/

I have been drooling over them and pitbull rock beast sct's, though I disagree with bigsquid on the IROK part look to be tsl SX like all the rest to me.
    Last edited by 350TacoZilla; 02-14-2014 at 09:27 PM.

RC Competitor
    Those are awesome!! Definitely getting a set of those. I was wanting a set before but the crawler size was too tall. Thanks for the info!

RC Racer
    yes they should b bad ***

RC Qualifier
    Looks great!! good job!
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Competitor
    Added a few more parts to my telluride. They were a major improvement over stock.

T-bone racing stampede 4x4 bumper with servo protection plate.

Traxxas aluminum castor blocks and carriers front and rear.

Front and rear rpm towers

the final change I made was a stainless steel screw kit from dynamite. If you play in a lot of water or snow, you're stock screws are rusted like mine. The stainless steel screw set is pretty complete except for a couple weird screws.

The trenchers work decent but I'm going to change to badlands with splitsix beadlocks. I get a lot of wheel spin in grass so I'm hoping the badlands will hook up a lot better. The chrome renegade wheels are nice but they have a protrac offset, I'd rather have a wider stance so I'm changing the wheels out too.
    Last edited by racinmason; 03-23-2014 at 04:04 PM.