RC Qualifier

Where are the bearings

I am going bananas trying to find the La Trax Rally bearing kit in stock anywhere. These are holding up my build as I'd rather tear it apart once and do everything. If anyone has seen them please PM a link. I have tried all the typical places with no luck. Posting such links here may not be within rules so please PM me the info. Thanks in advance!!

RC Qualifier
    I found a set in the far reaches of the internet on a site I never heard of. Called customer support and got a voice mail. For 10 bucks I will risk it and keeping fingers crossed I get them in a timely manner.

Just figure the sizes, go to Avid RC and pick out your bearings for $1/each.
    The Super Derecho

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Beat me to it. Yep, that's one way to get the bearings you need. They make it really easy too.

RC Competitor
    I just went to my LHS and asked for the quantity and sizes I needed. Got sealed bearings for the driveshaft by chance.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I just got an email from the site I ordered saying they regret to inform me that their website is in error and they do not have these in stock and are offering me a refund. :-/

Plan B... Your plan worked wonderfully
    Last edited by cMc214; 01-30-2014 at 12:37 PM.

RC Qualifier
    cool! what sizes are they?

Here are the sizes I ordered for my Rally.

4x8x3 Rubber 2

6x10x3 Rubber 8

8x12x3.5 Rubber 5
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Here are the sizes I ordered for my Rally.

4x8x3 Rubber 2

6x10x3 Rubber 8

8x12x3.5 Rubber 5
    Hey Wolf did you lubricate the bearings? If so what did you use? Thanks
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Hey Wolf did you lubricate the bearings? If so what did you use? Thanks
    I popped the seals off and they were all packed full of grease. I left them alone for now given the fact it's a on road car. Down the road I'm going to stuff them full of lithium marine grease.

RC Qualifier
    I popped the seals off and they were all packed full of grease. I left them alone for now given the fact it's a on road car. Down the road I'm going to stuff them full of lithium marine grease.
    I ordered a couple sets from Avid per the thread by Double G. Did you happen to get yours through Avid?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info!!!

I ordered a couple sets from Avid per the thread by Double G. Did you happen to get yours through Avid?
    Yep, I always get mine from Avid. There is no reason to buy any where else.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, I always get mine from Avid. There is no reason to buy any where else.
    Got mine in from Avid as well, hopefully is quiets down my grinding noise. Sounds like the Diffs are grinding but visually I see nothing wrong. I hoping it is just some flexing that will be alleviated by the bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Installed the Avid Bearings and the wheels have very little wobble left. A hugh improvement from what I had. Nice bearings they fit like a glove. Now to go after the bearings in the diff.

For those who want to take their wheel bearings that extra step I've always liked their revolutions series, 1 metal shield on one side (face that towards the center of the rim) and one side rubber.... Much less friction and they are Avid bearing quality bearings..... Well worth it IMHO.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    For those who want to take their wheel bearings that extra step I've always liked their revolutions series, 1 metal shield on one side (face that towards the center of the rim) and one side rubber.... Much less friction and they are Avid bearing quality bearings..... Well worth it IMHO.
    I ordered the Revolutions for the wheels and drive shaft. All the others were standard metal because they were out of stock. Tried to go Revolution for all of them.

RC Competitor
    Just put my order in with avid for all metal ones in the sizes needed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalizer View Post
    Just put my order in with avid for all metal ones in the sizes needed.
    You wont be disappointed. It helped mine a lot.

RC poster
    I'm seeing three different sides on the avid bearings. Some of you are saying all metal, some rubber, and even a revolution in there.

Can someone explain to a noob the school of thought behind each? I would ask the difference but it seems self explanatory. Just not sure why to go with one over the other.

RC Competitor
    I just installed the metal bearings and DAM what a difference. Very stable and better handling.

Can someone explain to a noob the school of thought behind each? I would ask the difference but it seems self explanatory. Just not sure why to go with one over the other.
    Here you go, from Avid.

Seals are not that tricky of a thing to understand. Rubber seals offer the most protection from debris entering the bearing but at the cost of a little friction from the rubber seal touching the races under loaded activities. Teflon provides the least amount of friction with great protection but teflon seals are known to be touchy animals while under load, they have a tendency to pop off. Metal shields are your most common variety of shield offered in the bearing market by providing decent protection and low friction.

Revolution (RSZ): Avid invented this seal make up in 2003 to offer the best of both worlds. There is a rubber seal on one side of the bearing and metal on the other. A rubber seal offers great dust/dirt/water protection but at the price of added friction. Where as metal offers almost no friction but will allow water and dust to get in over time once the grease has spread out. Since most cars have enclosed hubs and diffs, there is no reason to have the rubber seal inside the hub or diff since no dust, dirt, or water can get to it. But you still have the protection from the dirt not entering from the outside because it is sealed with the rubber seal.

Metal (ZZ): Suggested use of metal is on high temperature areas such as clutches or on tracks that are always well maintained with light watering in-between rounds or onroad vehicles that drive on clean surfaces.

Rubber (RS): They are becoming the more popular bearing among avid rc enthusiasts because they require the least maintenance to keep up to speed. In 1/8th scale clutches the rubber seal is not harmed if your clutch is setup correctly. We suggest that you use these on dusty or wet/muddy tracks because of their protection. The amount of resistance created by rubber is only slightly noticable in our uses so this is another reason of their rising popularity. Because they block dirt from getting in they also keep the grease from getting out.

Teflon (TS): These are hardly seen anymore and honestly we don't suggest wasting your money on them but if you do we suggest you use teflon inside of enclosed areas such as transmissions. They provide the least amount of resistance but best used in non-loaded situations.

RC Racer
    I searched google and found the bearing set for like 14 bucks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NikRALLY View Post
    I searched google and found the bearing set for like 14 bucks
    Yea this thread was written a month ago when inventory was less available

RC Competitor
    I'd still order from avid. Excellent fitment and high quality parts