Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Sorry for the double post here, but this is the update...

After a lot of consideration and thought, it was between a i5 4670k vs i7 4770k. Dual physical cores + 4 threads vs dual physical cores + 8 threads. I decided to go with the i5. To be honest, I don't think I'd use the full potential of an i7 and would much rather pay less and make the most out of my money. So - i5 it is, I can always sell it and get a i7 if I need to, anyways.

For the GPU - I think I'm going to wait until Nvidia brings out Maxwell/GTX 800 series and take a gander at those. I have a 7850 laying around and it will do the job.

Looks like the NZXT H440 is sold out. Turns out, the reason of why no one really sees the black/red H440 case in YouTube and such is because that there was some problems in the coloring process and that set them back with the black/red for like a month. So - it looks like I'll have to wait until March for the case... I don't need a dumb case anyways lol. It will just look like a nice test bench until March comes around :P

Intel i5 4670k ✓
    Corsair Vengeance Pro (Red) 16GB - 2133 ✓
    Asus Maximus Hero motherboard
    NZXT H440 Case
    2x 240GB Crucial M500 SSD ✓
    EVGA GTX 770 4GB
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD ✓
    Corsair TX750M Power supply ✓
    Corsair AF120 x4 fans

Other parts:

24" Asus Monitor ✓
    Corsair K30 Raptor keyboard ✓
    Corsair M40 Mouse ✓
    Logitech G930 wireless headset ✓
    Corsair Compact mousepad ✓
    Windows 7 Ultimate ✓
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Champion
    hey guys im still on the fence on whether or not to get the ati r7 260x graphics card. im in need of one since my current ati hd 3650 card is starting to fail.....

on the other hand is it possible to run a dual interface?.... say on one monitor you show a movie and on the seconded monitor you do other things like surf the web and to switch controls/between monitors you press a selected button/key?
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    hey guys im still on the fence on whether or not to get the ati r7 260x graphics card. im in need of one since my current ati hd 3650 card is starting to fail.....

on the other hand is it possible to run a dual interface?.... say on one monitor you show a movie and on the seconded monitor you do other things like surf the web and to switch controls/between monitors you press a selected button/key?
    Yep. If you get the R7 260X, it's as easy as plugging in both DVI to the monitors and going into the display settings and making sure the 2nd monitor is selected and option is set to "extend this display" on the 2nd monitor. If you want to say have 2 browsers open, you could just drag the browser over to the other screen.

RC Champion
    dude.... so I could have my 50" tv hooked up and showing a movie and use my current monitor for internet....awesome!

off topic a little but for anyone using windows 7 and dual monitors i would highly sugest using this program http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/ it lets you extend your wallpaper and task bar along with lots of other features i know it helped me.
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Champion
    dude.... so I could have my 50" tv hooked up and showing a movie and use my current monitor for internet....awesome!
    As long as your TV has a connection that your graphics card has. Remember that HDMI is the only cable that carries audio and video, if you want to use your TV's speakers

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    off topic a little but for anyone using windows 7 and dual monitors i would highly sugest using this program http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/ it lets you extend your wallpaper and task bar along with lots of other features i know it helped me.
    Ultramon, or DisplayFusion. I like DisplayFusion because it has more features, and $15 cheaper
    Last edited by traxxasbrothers; 02-13-2014 at 12:49 PM.

RC Champion
    wow.....

called up the pc shop yesterday and it turns out that the ati r7 260x isn't in stock......or something like that. the guy was to call me back yesterday before they closed to tell me if he got one in or not. so will drop by today after lunch to see if they got it in. should make for some fun. specially playing dirt 2 that game makes my hd 3650 chug/pause.

on a side note people on craigslist are idiots im trying to sell me old computer with a core 2 duo and the asus p5g41t-m lx plus motherboard an 4gb ddr3 is listed the full specs above. some guy offered me $40 for it lol

RC Champion
    hey guys the pc shop's supplier didn't have the ati versions in but they have the msi version in ....so I will be getting the msi radeon r7 260x in on Tuesday ....guy had written down the wrong number to get back to me at or else I would of had the graphics card installed right now

RC Champion
    I'll sometimes watch a movie or tv show on the left screen while working on the middle and right screens.
    You could watch something on one screen wile playing a game as well, but it sometimes doesn't work when the game is full screen, it can make the video player just show a black screen, playing a game in windowed mode makes it easier.

ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasbrothers View Post

You're good. PCIe x16 is there.

Ok doing some calculations.
    Intel Q6600
    120GB SSD
    500GB HDD
    R7 260X OC 2GB
    8GB DDR2 667
    Optical drive
    =~270W

I always like doing about 40-50% watts for when purchasing a PSU, but the one you have now should work. I don't know how badly your psu brand over exaggerates on their watts, but it should work.
    just did some minor research again on the r7 260x card and it shows that it needs a 6 pin power connecter
    my current graphics card doesn't have it and I don't think my psu(hp p/n: 5188-2859) has that connecter either.......... is it possible to splice into some existing wires and feed off of them until I get a different psu?

just did some minor research again on the r7 260x card and it shows that it needs a 6 pin power connecter
    my current graphics card doesn't have it and I don't think my psu(hp p/n: 5188-2859) has that connecter either.......... is it possible to splice into some existing wires and feed off of them until I get a different psu?
    you can get a psu with a 6pin connector for very cheap i found one in a gateway system or you could get an adapter like this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-Molex-...item5404beee7f

ok someone offered me $100 for the asus p5g41t-m lx plus and 4gb of ocz gold ram would you take this offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    I'll sometimes watch a movie or tv show on the left screen while working on the middle and right screens.
    You could watch something on one screen wile playing a game as well, but it sometimes doesn't work when the game is full screen, it can make the video player just show a black screen, playing a game in windowed mode makes it easier.

thats what i do with my dual monitor setup my mom doesn't believe me when i say it makes me more productive

RC Champion
    hey guys if I were to have to get a psu for this graphics card what wattage do you guys think I will need? ......requirements are to future prof for another 5 yrs. and be around 80 bucks before taxes.

I was thinking about cooler master .....since hp went with cooler master fans for my computer... the I600 psu? I have been hearing good for it from the online places I have checked out.

hey guys if I were to have to get a psu for this graphics card what wattage do you guys think I will need? ......requirements are to future prof for another 5 yrs. and be around 80 bucks before taxes.

I was thinking about cooler master .....since hp went with cooler master fans for my computer... the I600 psu? I have been hearing good for it from the online places I have checked out.
    okay i found a nice psu for you i don't think you would need much more then 700 watts max i found a nice 800 watt get it while its on sale! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153173
    as far as hp goes im surprised for an oem computer mine has some really good components mine used to be a business pc and survived 4 yeas of being on 24/7 without being cleaned. the ram they used was very good quality. and hp made the motherboard themselves but this pc is temporary ill be building an i5 build in about a year.

RC Champion
    hmmmm I will have to look at this a lot more.....trying to get a full price(item +shipping) of $90.50 or lower online or $80 instore

thank you for the recommendation

just found this on canadacomputers http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=060553 $58 bucks cad

hmmmm I will have to look at this a lot more.....trying to get a full price(item +shipping) of $90.50 or lower online or $80 instore

thank you for the recommendation

just found this on canadacomputers http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=060553 $58 bucks cad
    oh your in Canada im sorry the one you found looks like it will do the trick

RC Champion
    ya in most cases it sucks for buying online.....the newegg site shows stuff in cad dollars but only lets you price shipping in us area.

I will have to see what my lcs gives for a price on that I600. $80 max... already getting that msi r7 260x card in for $209 after taxes and 80 buck plus taxes would be just about $300.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    okay I was on new eggs usa site ...found the Canadian site and the thermaltake was ten bucks more so its out of the price range.. but did find that I 600 for a little less with shipping it comes to $96 bucks cad...6 bucks over budget but will give it some thought. tomorrow the lcs will be open and if they don't give me a price lower then $83 then im going to newegg.ca
    Last edited by reod12x2; 02-17-2014 at 02:34 PM.

ya in most cases it sucks for buying online.....the newegg site shows stuff in cad dollars but only lets you price shipping in us area.

I will have to see what my lcs gives for a price on that I600. $80 max... already getting that msi r7 260x card in for $209 after taxes and 80 buck plus taxes would be just about $300.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    okay I was on new eggs usa site ...found the Canadian site and the thermaltake was ten bucks more so its out of the price range.. but did find that I 600 for a little less with shipping it comes to $96 bucks cad...6 bucks over budget but will give it some thought. tomorrow the lcs will be open and if they don't give me a price lower then $83 then im going to newegg.ca
    sounds good

RC Champion
    well im getting that i600 today along with the r7 260x. called up the lcs and turns out the store has a stock of them and for sale at my $80 mark.

now next on the list .a 120gb ssd and should be good for the next 5yrs

RC Champion
    well im getting that i600 today along with the r7 260x. called up the lcs and turns out the store has a stock of them and for sale at my $80 mark.

now next on the list .a 120gb ssd and should be good for the next 5yrs
    240-256gb SSD's are currently the sweet spot for price performance. As low as $125 for the crucial m500.
    The larger ones usually have faster write speeds as well.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

I don't quite understand why you'd put that graphics card in an IPIBL-LB mobo.
    Please understand that I am only writing this because I am replacing an IPIBL-LA mobo (Q6600 cpu too) and its recently fried Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 (512Mb) graphics card.

My research has shown:
    Both the -LA and -LB mobos have PCI-E x16 slots, but they are rev1.1.
    The R7 260X is a rev3.0 card.
    Rev3.0 slots have at least 3x (perhaps more) the transfer rate of rev1.1 slots.

I realize all too well that I'm no expert at this stuff, but wouldn't a nice x16 rev2.x mobo (w/ LGA775 socket) and a x16 rev2.x graphics card be more appropriate than having the R7 260X choked by the old (and non-overclockable) mobo?

Oh, btw, I also had to replace the psu that was included with my Pavilion Elite. I figured a 750W OCZ was good enough.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-18-2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    well guys im running......got that coolermaster i600 600w psu installed and that graphics card......the lcs shop said msi was going to be coming in but turn out to be a power color oh well got it in barly. but im having a problem now with software. it sais the program cant run. because the program msvcp110.dll is missing? how or where do I get this programme?

never even thought of it ksb.....just got into this computer thing and got what came recommended.

Gaming Computer Build

...never even thought of it ksb.....just got into this computer thing and got what came recommended.
    The question was really more for the recommend-ors than the recommend-ee.

Which program will not run?

They switched a Powercolor for an MSI? That sort of thing flies up there? It surely would not in the States.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-18-2014 at 04:19 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I don't quite understand why you'd put that graphics card in an IPIBL-LB mobo.
    Please understand that I am only writing this because I am replacing an IPIBL-LA mobo (Q6600 cpu too) and its recently fried Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 (512Mb) graphics card.

My research has shown:
    Both the -LA and -LB mobos have PCI-E x16 slots, but they are rev1.1.
    The R7 260X is a rev3.0 card.
    Rev3.0 slots have at least 3x (perhaps more) the transfer rate of rev1.1 slots.

I realize all too well that I'm no expert at this stuff, but wouldn't a nice x16 rev2.x mobo (w/ LGA775 socket) and a x16 rev2.x graphics card be more appropriate than having the R7 260X choked by the old (and non-overclockable) mobo?

Oh, btw, I also had to replace the psu that was included with my Pavilion Elite. I figured a 750W OCZ was good enough.
    You are right about the mobo being PCIe 1.1, but to be honest.. it won't be much of a bottleneck. PCIE is all about bandwidth, and a r7 260X won't bottleneck it to the extent of any noticeable difference AFAIK. It's not until you go up to the higher-end cards that it will start to be an issue. When money isn't as a big as an issue, yes a better motherboard (and CPU) would help out and bring up the overall performance of the PC... as well as the ability to overclock.

well guys im running......got that coolermaster i600 600w psu installed and that graphics card......the lcs shop said msi was going to be coming in but turn out to be a power color oh well got it in barly. but im having a problem now with software. it sais the program cant run. because the program msvcp110.dll is missing? how or where do I get this programme?

never even thought of it ksb.....just got into this computer thing and got what came recommended.
    Yeah.... I dunno about Powercolor.... I hope you don't have any issues with it. Is this Powercolor's driver software? Are you sure you used the right bit version? 64-bit or 32-bit ?

Again, I'm no expert, but the HD 3650 was introduced just over six years ago and it was already x16 ver2.0 even though it wasn't exactly top of the line. The R7 260X was introduced in October 2013, and you are claiming that the ver1.1 slot will not bottleneck it? Are you sure?
    Also, I see some references claim the G33 chipset is ver1.1 and some claim ver2.0. Is the discrepancy possibly due to a BIOS update?

RC Champion
    o my its working now..... lol let the computer sit over night unplugged...(mother problems)

"I didn't know" was what I meant to say ksb instead of "thought". but don't start a war out of this rev 2 or 3 thing... to me if it works better then the hd3650 "crash happy" then im happy that my money isn't going to waste.

now I didn't relies how massive this card is....going from a single slot "mini" to a dual slot extended lol this card is so long it goes to within a mm of my sata connector for my hard drive on the opposite side of the mobo. and those fans I gotta say .there is the graphics card with 2 fans and then the psu with its big 120mm fan about 3" above the card. makes for some powerful air movement.

and ksb if you have the same hp pavilion case as me get ready to break out the dermal of pliers if you going for this card or similar. the dvi and hdmi out puts sits low enough that you have to cut about 2-3mm into the case so you can plug in. other then that perfect fit just don't expect to take out your ram cards or hard drive cable without removing the card. still cant believe how big this card is

traxxasbrothers: no major problems that I know about but when I first turned on the computer one of the gpu fans didn't want to turn without help. after it got going it starts and goes fine now.

and this is the web page for this gpu>http://www.powercolor.com/us/product...res.asp?id=487

Gaming Computer Build

Can't start a war: I am almost totally unarmed. My questions are based on my own lack of knowledge and are not intended to be challenges to others. I just truly don't know the answers to the questions I posed. Like the "are you sure" question: I'd be satisfied with a simple "yes".

I'm glad you're up and running and I hear you regarding anything being better than a faulty old GC. I wish you the best of luck going forward.

Edit: I just caught the case question. I upgraded the case at the same time as I got my dearly departed HD 4850 card. I bought an Antec 900II (902) so I had room to grow. This has allowed me to move to a full ATX mobo instead of the microATX IPIBL-Lx units.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-19-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: whoops: "lack of..." not "pack of..."

RC Champion
    didn't mean to come off so strongly.....just noticed the back and forth

but ya it is going good. played around with the ati over clocker and turned the fans up to 100%.....defenently wont be doing that again. but my games are impeccable now I had played split seconed. on the hd3650 and it was all right low visuals and low-med resolution .and was still slow at loading. and to play the game at max settings on the hd3650 it had about a 1-2.5 sec delay. but this card handles the game with no problem max resolution very high visual quality.

ya sept for the ssd. im going to have to go get a bigger case if im wanting to do anything else with my pc. I figure the mobo and ram need changing out but if I do that(specialy with my thinking) im going to go crazy on specs and get that amd 8 core 4.7ghz processor and have 32gb's of ddr3 but that is going to atleast cost about a couple k's there. so that is going to be one thing when I get a full time job.

and ..thank you guys for your help and recommendations
    even thought this was a build thread

add in

hey guys playing around with the over drive program. just wondering what is the heat limit for these cards? I seem to be holding it steady at 55c-131f with fans at max. running with a max setting of 1040mhz gpu speed with 1500mhz memory.
    Last edited by reod12x2; 02-20-2014 at 08:58 AM.

RC Champion
    so to show my specs for my gaming computer.

Intel core 2 dual Q6660 2.4ghz
    4gb ddr2 ram
    500gb Hitachi hdd
    ati r7 260x gpu (OC)
    cooler master I600 600w psu
    Hitachi blue ray/light scribe /dvd player
    15 in 1 sd card reader.

additions to think about
    -120gb ssd
    -mother board
    -more ram
    -case
    -processor

RC Racer
    here is mine
    Core i7 2600k @ 4.3ghz
    Corsair H50
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
    16GB DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX570SC 797/1594/1800 875/1750/2000 <---- soon to be a GTX 780
    Sentey Optimus Extreme case
    Antec TP750
    Samsung 840 Evo 120GB -- OS
    WD Caviar Black 1TB -- games
    Toshiba 2TB -- vids
    Last edited by un4givn85; 02-21-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    Summit crawling MT
    Twin 2pedes for the kids

RC Champion
    Intel i5 4670k ✓
    Corsair Vengeance Pro (Red) 16GB - 2133 ✓
    Asus Maximus Hero motherboard ✓
    NZXT H440 Case
    2x 240GB Crucial M500 SSD ✓
    EVGA GTX 770 4GB
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD ✓
    Corsair TX750M Power supply ✓
    Corsair H110 (temp cooler)

Other parts:

24" Asus Monitor ✓
    Corsair K30 Raptor keyboard ✓
    Corsair M40 Mouse ✓
    Logitech G930 wireless headset ✓
    Corsair Compact mousepad ✓
    Windows 7 Ultimate ✓

Just waiting on that dumb H440 to come in stock.

RC Champion
    looks like I have my old graphics card sold.....10 bucks is good enough.

other then that looking into a xbox 360 controller for my "gaming computer" and still the ssd

ok so i was looking around for low profile gpu's when it dawned on me "why settle for less performance?" so i came up with an idea. ill get one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Express-...item484a7ad82c to run a full size gpu out of my case and use an external psu hidden in the desk somewhere . what do you guys think? do you think it will work?

RC Racer
    if you were to do that, be sure and find a way to mount the video card
    i also would not be surprised to see a bottleneck because of that
    Summit crawling MT
    Twin 2pedes for the kids

Quote Originally Posted by un4givn85 View Post
    if you were to do that, be sure and find a way to mount the video card
    i also would not be surprised to see a bottleneck because of that
    i was looking it up and actually the extender has the same performance as directly mounted to the board. i ordered my gpu two extenders and the molex to six pin adapters, im a little worried about using the external psu but i have no choice. i have heard horror stories and success stories about the external psu so i bought a cheap nvidia gtx 260 and ill use that for a few months and if nothing happens ill get a better one.

RC Racer
    good call
    better safe than sorry
    Summit crawling MT
    Twin 2pedes for the kids

RC Champion
    Building PCs was my first hobby. Here is one that I built back in 2009

EVGA E760 x58 CLASSIFIED
    Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W 6-Core Desktop Processor
    6x CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2 GB DDR3 1866
    8x OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD in Raid 0 for programs and windows
    3ware 9750-8i SATA/SAS 6Gb/s PCI-Express 2.0 w/ 512MB RAID controller
    2x EVGA GTX480 Superclocked 1536GDDR5
    Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W
    Samsung MD230X3 Multi-Display 3x23" monitors

This was at my old house. I haven't set up the triple display in the new house yet since I have been using a 55" TV instead. FWIW I like the 55" much better the the 2x23"

People think I'm joking when I say I have 8 SSDs. There are two each in these 2.5 to 3.5: enclosures

Here is an example of the performance of my RAID setup. The 2nd pic is a 2TB 7200rpm HDD and the 3rd is a 128GB SSD
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    Building PCs was my first hobby. Here is one that I built back in 2009

EVGA E760 x58 CLASSIFIED
    Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W 6-Core Desktop Processor
    6x CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2 GB DDR3 1866
    8x OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD in Raid 0 for programs and windows
    3ware 9750-8i SATA/SAS 6Gb/s PCI-Express 2.0 w/ 512MB RAID controller
    2x EVGA GTX480 Superclocked 1536GDDR5
    Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W
    Samsung MD230X3 Multi-Display 3x23" monitors

This was at my old house. I haven't set up the triple display in the new house yet since I have been using a 55" TV instead. FWIW I like the 55" much better the the 2x23"

People think I'm joking when I say I have 8 SSDs. There are two each in these 2.5 to 3.5: enclosures

Here is an example of the performance of my RAID setup. The 2nd pic is a 2TB 7200rpm HDD and the 3rd is a 128GB SSD
    one question WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?