Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Gaming Computer Build

Ok so I'm getting the build bug and want to do another build for myself. I sold some parts of my last build and have some funds to put towards this new one. Here is the specs:

Intel i7 4770k - 3.4ghz, will probably overclock to 4.5ghz
    16GB Corsair Vengeance ram - 1866mhz, will overclock as well
    Asus Maximus Hero mobo OR MSI Z87-GD65
    Corsair 650D
    2x 240GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Asus R9 280X GPU OR Asus 7950 will overclock
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD
    Corsair AF120 x4 fans

Watercooling - this may have to be later on as this is a big chunk of change
    EKWB EK-Supremacy Copper CPU block
    EKWB - EK-FC7950 Copper GPU block for 7950
    XSPC Dual 5.25" Reservoir
    EK-DCP 4.0 High Performance Water Pump
    TFC Tube - 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD - UV Red Rev 3
    6x FC High Flow 3/8"ID - 1/2" OD Straight Compression Fitting - Nickle
    Darkside 240mm High Performance Radiator
    Distilled water as liquid
    THE FESER COMPANY - Feser Base - Corrosion Blocker & Biocide

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasbrothers View Post
    Ok so I'm getting the build bug and want to do another build for myself. I sold some parts of my last build and have some funds to put towards this new one. Here is the specs:

Corsair 650D
    Corsair AF120 x4 fans

sounds like it will be a nice build my current pc's specs are
    cpu: intel core 2 duo e7500 overclocked from 2.93ghz to 3.5ghz
    motherboard: asus p5g41t-m lx plus
    graphics card: nvidia geforce 8400gs 512mb hdmi
    case: achilles (i dont know witch on it is)
    psu: 422w tiger pro
    ram: 8gb ocz ddr3
    hard drive: 400gb western digital sata
    sound card: turtlebeach santa cruz
    monitor 1: samsung syncmaster t220
    monitor 2: samsung syncmaster 2443bwx
    now this may not be the best pc but if i told you the price i built it for (including monitors) you would go absolutely nuts its works great for what i use it for witch is school youtube videos video editing and sometimes mincecraft. i also managed to get my hands on an intel core i5 quad core so ill be upgrading soon. i leave all the gaming to my xbox 360( also pictured)

also the pc case is no longer made and i believe it is rare. heres my xbox 360 did all the work with my brother
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Qualifier
    Looks awesome. I've been having that same itch I just can't justify spending the dough right now and my machine does everything I need it to. Kinda a want vs need thing for me.
    Who needs brakes!!!!

RC Champion
    That looks like a good build.
    I'm currently rocking this setup,
    i7 3770k
    Asus Sabertooth motherboard
    XFX 7970 3gb
    16gb ddr3
    16tb storage
    120gb ssd for OS and apps
    240gb ssd for Adobe suite and games
    3x 23" led monitors
    Coolermaster HAF-932

This last pic was with my 5850 or 6950 video card.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    i7 3770k
    XFX 7970 3gb
    16gb ddr3
    16tb storage
    3x 23" led monitors
    Coolermaster HAF-932

Very nice. The HAF series have been always solid cases. Love the Sabertooth motherboard, I've done a couple builds with them and they are awesome. Tuff stuff

I'm still undecided about the case, as that is my next purchase. Case and motherboard.
    I was thinking the 650D, but it's quite expensive. I was looking at the NZXT H440 that comes out in early Feb, such a nice case but it doesn't have any 5.25" bays which I need. Still hunting for a nice case, if anyone knows of any below the $150 price range, is a mid tower, side window and at least 4 5.25" bays... that'd be great!
    Last edited by traxxasbrothers; 01-28-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Corsair 650D
    Corsair AF120 x4 fans

AS a director of an IT dept and working in the same room as 2 server racks worht of equipment and hard drives I can tell you I'm not impressed with the Seagate Barracuda series. I have had 4 of them fail in the past 3 years.

That's a 7200 RPM drive and probably has 64mb cache (although they have a model with 32mb cache but discontinued). It is a 6Gb/s drive.

Honestly, I'd go with a Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s drive. It is about $90.00 and has a 5 year warranty.

I have a file server (needing to be updated) and it is supporting 60 users. 10 of them are graphics artists using Photoshop and Corel. Huge 30 mb tiff pictures as we develop our own company catalog and it's ALL high resolution. So that means lots of big files being accessed by a good amount of people at the same time 24/7 365... Those are the heavy users, then there are all the spreadsheets and documents etc.

Right now the file server is managing over 4.6 Terrabytes of pictures and documents and videos. It's in a RAID 10 and I'm using qty of 4 Western Digital Black 2 TB drives. Just for data. The O.S. is on a set of 1 TB Western Digital Black 64mb cache drives.

I have a few other servers. Mostly Western Digital Enterprise class drives and I have had very very good results..

The other hardware looks great, but the video card? Are you going with Dual SLI setup? I believe some of the newer video cards are basically getting 8 gpus on one card so SLI is not really needed as much for gaming... I'm a server person mainly so I may be mistaken. But the hard drives.... I'm pretty sure you won't go wrong with my recommendation ..
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 01-28-2014 at 04:14 PM.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    AS a director of an IT dept and working in the same room as 2 server racks worht of equipment and hard drives I can tell you I'm not impressed with the Seagate Barracuda series. I have had 4 of them fail in the past 3 years.

That's a 7200 RPM drive and probably has 64mb cache (although they have a model with 32mb cache but discontinued). It is a 6Gb/s drive.

Honestly, I'd go with a Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s drive. It is about $90.00 and has a 5 year warranty.

I have a file server (needing to be updated) and it is supporting 60 users. 10 of them are graphics artists using Photoshop and Corel. Huge 30 mb tiff pictures as we develop our own company catalog and it's ALL high resolution. So that means lots of big files being accessed by a good amount of people at the same time 24/7 365... Those are the heavy users, then there are all the spreadsheets and documents etc.

Right now the file server is managing over 4.6 Terrabytes of pictures and documents and videos. It's in a RAID 10 and I'm using qty of 4 Western Digital Black 2 TB drives. Just for data. The O.S. is on a set of 1 TB Western Digital Black 64mb cache drives.

I have a few other servers. Mostly Western Digital Enterprise class drives and I have had very very good results..

The other hardware looks great, but the video card? Are you going with Dual SLI setup? I believe some of the newer video cards are basically getting 8 gpus on one card so SLI is not really needed as much for gaming... I'm a server person mainly so I may be mistaken. But the hard drives.... I'm pretty sure you won't go wrong with my recommendation ..
    While I normally one to dislike Seagate drives, this one was on sale for $50 last year and I'm just carrying it on as a storage drive in the new build. It's not exactly the same one I bought (a new RMA'd one is coming, I broke the SATA connector on it... whoops.) I haven't had much problems with it... if it fails, it fails.

I've had WD blacks, good drives and the 5 year warrantee is nice.

The video cards I'm not sure with. I have a 7850 laying around that I may pop in there for the time being. These are AMD, those they would be CrossfireX but no, there aren't many benefits to SLI/CrossfireX. It's always better to get 1 good card, than 2 cheap ones. SLI/CrossfireX has issues with microstuttering and the drivers are always a pain. I'm thinking a single 7950 or single R9 280X. I agree with your hard drive recommendation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    i7 3770k
    XFX 7970 3gb
    16gb ddr3
    16tb storage
    3x 23" led monitors
    Coolermaster HAF-932

nice setup heres what my desktop looks like

It's come down to the following:
    Corsair 650D $190

NZXT Source 530 (full tower and only 3 5.25", but it will work) $100

Corsair 750 $170

RC Champion
    I've had no issues with the. Samsung F4 2tb drives, the ones I have were made prior to Samsung selling out to Seagate.
    Also, I had a wd 1tb black making some funny grinding noises and rma'd it and they asked if I would take a 2tb black instead since they had no 1tb drives available.

I added a 2tb wd green after this pic was taken and have a 2tb my book that gives me the 16tb I listed.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

I'm considering the NZXT 530 because of the fact that...
    It's cheap, it has great watercooling support (360mm rad up top, 240mm at bottom), great reviews, modular and lots of cable management room. Which is sort of a must need, I like my cable management

RC Champion
    okay guys im far behind on this but a question about hard drives....how in the word are you guys filling multiple 2tb hard drives? the most i have ever put on a hard drive is about 120gbs.

also intrestead in the computer building to. just dont know whear to start.i have a hp pavilion that has

• intel quad core @ 2.4ghz
      4gb ddr2
      500gb hard drive
      ati hd 3600 graphics
      tv tuner card

good spec so far. for being almost a 5yr old machine but i am starting to see some limitations to it. like ram.. i have 4gbs and sometimes im up to useing 90% of it.i have 4 slots for ddr2 ram on the mother board. but if i were to go duoble my ram to 8gbs. i would be looking at almost 180 bucks. but i was informed that ddr3 ram cards are almost half the price of ddr2...

so if i where to upgrade my ram it seams to be good to upgrade my mother board to? and if i do that would everthing tranfer over?...lol
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    okay guys im far behind on this but a question about hard drives....how in the word are you guys filling multiple 2tb hard drives? the most i have ever put on a hard drive is about 120gbs.

also intrestead in the computer building to. just dont know whear to start.i have a hp pavilion that has

4gb ddr2
      500gb hard drive
      ati hd 3600 graphics
      tv tuner card

good spec so far. for being almost a 5yr old machine but i am starting to see some limitations to it. like ram.. i have 4gbs and sometimes im up to useing 90% of it.i have 4 slots for ddr2 ram on the mother board. but if i were to go duoble my ram to 8gbs. i would be looking at almost 180 bucks. but i was informed that ddr3 ram cards are almost half the price of ddr2...

so if i where to upgrade my ram it seams to be good to upgrade my mother board to? and if i do that would everthing tranfer over?...lol
    hi the way i learned to build a computer was by taking apart an old one so if you have an old dektop thats not being used take it completely apart then rebuild it and see if it works. i would recommend upgrading your ram and motherboard if you have an intel core 2 quad i would recommend you get the asus p5g41t-m lx plus motherboard i have owned this board for about half a year it takes ddr3 it looks great and its a good board if you want to start overclocking. i would also go with this ram http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-2X4GB-ME...item233524fe35 but i personally have 8gb ocz ddr3 and it has treated me well. also if your starting to run slower even if you dont game or watch many movies get a cheap graphics card and that will speed up your system and most of the time when you upgrade your motherboard and ram your windows will work just fine all you have to do is intall new drivers that come with the motherboard
    Last edited by nathan8856; 01-28-2014 at 08:01 PM.

4gb ddr2
      500gb hard drive
      ati hd 3600 graphics
      tv tuner card

I'm assuming the CPU is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, very capable CPU and if you have no issues with it then I wouldn't do a whole new build. Post up the model of your HP you may be able to use the 4GB you have and just buy another 4GB. Since you don't use a lot of space, I recommend picking up an SSD... this will increase your speeds greatly. You will be surprised if you haven't experienced SSDs before lol.

If you are interested in doing a build, it's not hard... many people toss around the phrase "It's just like adult lego". Certain things only fit certain ways and you just gotta read up a bit in know what the right parts are. Post any questions you may have, I can even come up with a list of parts you should get if you state your budget.
    Last edited by traxxasbrothers; 01-28-2014 at 08:17 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'd like to do a gaming pc but i don't know where to start all i have is a old hp pavilion p6330f

Quote Originally Posted by streetslash View Post
    I'd like to do a gaming pc but i don't know where to start all i have is a old hp pavilion p6330f
    What is your price range. I'll get a parts list for you if you'd like.

Traxxas Employee
    On a side note, you guys should go check out the Waterproof E-Revo Brushless that was just announced. =)

Parts list for the HP Pavilion? That may be expensive....

RC Qualifier
    What is your price range. I'll get a parts list for you if you'd like.
    I have 500 but can go to 600 or do i just need to sell the hp and buy a new pc

Factoring in you keeping the HDD and the DVD drive and just installing it in the new one

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Jn7h

For the CPU, it really doesn't matter. Over 4 cores is practically useless for games. 4 will help keep your system somewhat futureproof for a bit. AMD leads for the budget builds.
    Motherboard, as long as it supports the CPU socket (AM3/AM3+ or FM2 for AMD).
    Ram, as long as it is at least 1600mhz, that seems to be the sweetspot nowadays and 8GB will keep you running for a while.
    Radeon 7850, solid GPU. I've done a few builds with it. It should run games like Call of duty Medium-high graphics no problem with good framerates and 2GB of video memory should help a bit.
    Case, whatever you like and looks appealing to you.
    Power supply, as long as it's a known, good brand. Corsair is quite known, I believe this is a CWT power supply so it's good quality. Your system would theoretically be at 334w at full load, you have enough wattage there to do some upgrades for stuff if you need. 600W should be good.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the help I got a lot to look at now

RC Champion
    I'm assuming the CPU is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, very capable CPU and if you have no issues with it then I wouldn't do a whole new build. Post up the model of your HP you may be able to use the 4GB you have and just buy another 4GB. Since you don't use a lot of space, I recommend picking up an SSD... this will increase your speeds greatly. You will be surprised if you haven't experienced SSDs before lol.

If you are interested in doing a build, it's not hard... many people toss around the phrase "It's just like adult lego". Certain things only fit certain ways and you just gotta read up a bit in know what the right parts are. Post any questions you may have, I can even come up with a list of parts you should get if you state your budget.

my desk top is a hp pavilion elite m9458fpc and it does have the intel core 2 quad q6600.

the ssd is a option that i have been throughing around for some time now and specially with me just doing a fresh windows 7 pro install. and i havent even passed 55gb yet after all my add ons such as songs and pics . so i should be okay with a 120gb ssd from crucial. for O.S. anti virus and a couple others and use the stock 500gb for documents and media? or just get a slightly bigger ssd and use it for everything since im not that demanding?

also what would be a better graphics card for around 150 mark? right now i have a ati radion hd 3650
    and some shows that i watch online are sometime notceably pixeled

my desk top is a hp pavilion elite m9458fpc and it does have the intel core 2 quad q6600.

the ssd is a option that i have been throughing around for some time now and specially with me just doing a fresh windows 7 pro install. and i havent even passed 55gb yet after all my add ons such as songs and pics . so i should be okay with a 120gb ssd from crucial. for O.S. anti virus and a couple others and use the stock 500gb for documents and media? or just get a slightly bigger ssd and use it for everything since im not that demanding?

also what would be a better graphics card for around 150 mark? right now i have a ati radion hd 3650
    and some shows that i watch online are sometime notceably pixeled

120GB SSD, install your HDD and load up your pictures and documents on the HDD and keep your SSD for the programs and OS. For around $150, AMD Radeon 7850 is a good buy but they are no longer in production.

The R7 260X seems like a good buy, no first hand experience from me though.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814127762

Here will be the difference. Quite substantial!
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-26...Radeon-HD-3650

If I were you, I'd add this to cart ASAP
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&sku=S153-9906
    Last edited by traxxasbrothers; 01-28-2014 at 09:52 PM.

RC Champion
    thank you

ya budget of around 150 for a graphics card.....doesn't seem to be so bad with the specs you gave me. about 2gb and around 1ghz process. I am shocked.. and this should keep my computer current for sometime longer lol

now to go along with that. how do I figure out what pci port I have? and do I need a psu to go along with the new graphics card?

my do apologies for turning this into a question thread

found my mother board, asus ipibl-lb. I have a pci express x16 witch still doesn't tell me anything.
    when im looking at the graphic cards they say pci express 3.0

will it work if its pci express no matter the number behind it?
    Last edited by reod12x2; 01-29-2014 at 09:17 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Wow I didn't realize there was so many gamers on this website.
    Traxxasbrothers, sounds like that thing is going to be a beast. Should look pretty sweet once you get it together.

My build from recent.
    Case: Azza Hurican 2000
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
    CPU: i7-3770k @ 3.5ghz OC'd @ 4.7ghz
    CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE - dual 140mm fans
    Ram: Patriot Viper 3 - 32gbs @ 2133mhz
    Vid Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 680 Classified 4gig
    Storage: (x2) Samsung 840 pro series - 256gb SSDs
    Storage: Seasonic 1.5 tb hard drive
    PSU: Seasonic 1000w - Platinum+
    Mouse: Logitech G700
    Monitor: BenQ 24" @ 120hz LCD
    CD-rom: Dual DVD burners

Last edited by Finkledbody; 01-29-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    Slash 4x4 - MM2 / 2200Kv
    Rustler SV3 / 4600Kv

Here are the PCI Express connections on a motherboard

You need PCIe, I don't know the motherboard of your computer but if you take a look and if they look like the PCIe on the motherboard then you should be good.

R7 260X
    Power consumption AMD Radeon R7-260X

System in IDLE = 118W
    System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 221W
    Difference (GPU load) = 103W
    Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
    Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 113 Watts

The only problem here is that the 3650s are AGP cards, they used basically the outdated form of PCIe and is not compatible with PCIe. Maybe take a gander into your PC and take a picture and upload it.

For the power supply, I can't find anywhere where it says what the wattage of the stock PSU is. Hopefully it's over 350W. You missed the $70 deal on that SSD!

Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    Wow I didn't realize there was so many gamers on this website.
    Traxxasbrothers, sounds like that thing is going to be a beast. Should look pretty sweet once you get it together.

My build from recent.
    Case: Azza Hurican 2000
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
    CPU: i7-3770k @ 3.5ghz OC'd @ 4.7ghz
    CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE - dual 140mm fans
    Ram: Patriot Viper 3 - 32gbs @ 2133mhz
    Vid Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 680 Classified 4gig
    Storage: (x2) Samsung 840 pro series - 256gb SSDs
    Storage: Seasonic 1.5 tb hard drive
    PSU: Seasonic 1000w - Platinum+
    Mouse: Logitech G700
    Monitor: BenQ 24" @ 120hz LCD
    CD-rom: Dual DVD burners
    Sweet! How do you like the G700 mouse? I want to pick up a G700s.

I've been giving the NZXT H440 a long hard look, it is just a epic looking case.

Has no 5.25" bays, but I could always get a non 5.25" res.
    Last edited by traxxasbrothers; 01-29-2014 at 10:02 AM.

RC Champion
    okay wahoo max output power for my psu is 350w but psu's arnt that much right?
    I will have to check again to see what I have for a pci slot on my asus ipibl-lb mother board.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    only sais PCI Express x16
    link to page>ipibl-lb mother board
    Last edited by reod12x2; 01-29-2014 at 10:18 AM.

okay wahoo max output power for my psu is 350w
    I will have to check again to see what I have for a pci slot on my asus ipibl-lb mother board.

You're good. PCIe x16 is there.

Ok doing some calculations.
    Intel Q6600
    120GB SSD
    500GB HDD
    R7 260X OC 2GB
    8GB DDR2 667
    Optical drive
    =~270W

I always like doing about 40-50% watts for when purchasing a PSU, but the one you have now should work. I don't know how badly your psu brand over exaggerates on their watts, but it should work.

@traxxasbrothers what is the best budget lga1156 motherboard for me to upgrade to? id like to spend $50 or less

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    @traxxasbrothers what is the best budget lga1156 motherboard for me to upgrade to? id like to spend $50 or less
    I've personally always been an Asus fan, I'm sure you will find many people are. For $50 you won't get much, will this be a Micro-atx or a ATX?

Asrock has been producing some good stuff lately, I've not had an issue with 3 Asrock builds I've done. None of the Asus boards fits your budget. Unless you find something on sale.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157456

I've personally always been an Asus fan, I'm sure you will find many people are. For $50 you won't get much, will this be a Micro-atx or a ATX?

Asrock has been producing some good stuff lately, I've not had an issue with 3 Asrock builds I've done. None of the Asus boards fits your budget. Unless you find something on sale.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157456
    ok i can do atx and micro atx i to am a huge asus fan there boards are awesome i may look for a cheap used one iv had luck with useds cpu's and graphics cards in the past. i may have to sell some old computers and computer parts and make to budget $150

RC Champion
    perfect. now I just got into another problem. I have a tv tuner card in my compute as well. and since most graphic cards are going to be a 2 slots. I don't think I will have the space for cooling since the tv tuner is only 2 slots up from the graphics card

and guys who do you recommend for Canadian online computer shops? I went by my lcs local computer shop and got priced for 120 bucks for the crucial 120gb ssd and 185 for the radeon r7 260x

perfect. now I just got into another problem. I have a tv tuner card in my compute as well. and since most graphic cards are going to be a 2 slots. I don't think I will have the space for cooling since the tv tuner is only 2 slots up from the graphics card

and guys who do you recommend for Canadian online computer shops? I went by my lcs local computer shop and got priced for 120 bucks for the crucial 120gb ssd and 185 for the radeon r7 260x

Since you are a fellow Canadian, I know a few.

www.NCIX.ca - good prices, quick and cheap shipping
    www.TigerDirect.ca - stores all around, prices are ok.
    www.CanadaComputers.com - stores all around, decent prices, good sales.
    www.DirectCanada.com - free shipping! Decent prices

Is the TV tuner card PCI or PCIe?

@nathan8856 - I just re-read your post, you said LGA1156, thought it was LGA1155!
    I really don't know of any boards off hand that are LGA1156 and $50. They seem to be pretty scarce and not many people carry them around.

--------

UPDATE TO THE BUILD:

i5 4670k 3.4ghz - OC to 4.5ghz
    16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum - 1866mhz, will overclock as well
    Asus Maximus Hero motherboard
    NZXT H440 Case
    Asus R9 280X GPU
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD + Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM
    Corsair TX750M Power supply
    Corsair AF120 x4 fans

Other parts:

24" Asus Monitor
    Corsair K30 Raptor keyboard - I'll get a mechanical keyboard later
    Logitech G700s mouse
    Corsair Vengeance 1500 V2 headset
    Corsair Compact mousepad
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Last edited by traxxasbrothers; 01-29-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Since you are a fellow Canadian, I know a few.

www.NCIX.ca - good prices, quick and cheap shipping
    www.TigerDirect.ca - stores all around, prices are ok.
    www.CanadaComputers.com - stores all around, decent prices, good sales.
    www.DirectCanada.com - free shipping! Decent prices

Is the TV tuner card PCI or PCIe?

@nathan8856 - I just re-read your post, you said LGA1156, thought it was LGA1155!
    I really don't know of any boards off hand that are LGA1156 and $50. They seem to be pretty scarce and not many people carry them around.
    hmm why is that? should i sell my i5 and get a lga 155 one?

hmm why is that? should i sell my i5 and get a lga 155 one?
    The LGA1156 socket and CPU are outdated to be honest. They were discontinued back in 2012. If you like, you could sell the i5 and LGA1156 motherboard to get something newer like the Haswell chips.

The LGA1156 socket and CPU are outdated to be honest. They were discontinued back in 2012. If you like, you could sell the i5 and LGA1156 motherboard to get something newer like the Haswell chips.
    well i don't much mind if its outdated i play dayz crysis minecraft and sometimes battlefield and even my core 2 duo does well with that. but i will look into getting a newer chip or i could sell my i5 and get this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-I...item4860a625d5 im really surprised at how cheap this is. and i could overclock it to 3.2ghz easy what do you think about this one? heres a comparison of my i5 versus that i7 http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...el-Core-i5-650
    Last edited by nathan8856; 01-29-2014 at 08:05 PM.

well i don't much mind if its outdated i play dayz crysis minecraft and sometimes battlefield and even my core 2 duo does well with that. but i will look into getting a newer chip or i could sell my i5 and get this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-I...item4860a625d5 im really surprised at how cheap this is. and i could overclock it to 3.2ghz easy what do you think about this one?
    I'm not to familiar myself with the older generations but I know for a fact Newegg had a HUGE issue with getting fake i7 920s.

What motherboard?

I'm not to familiar myself with the older generations but I know for a fact Newegg had a HUGE issue with getting fake i7 920s.

What motherboard?
    lga 1136 i have to make up my mind before i get either board because i have the i5 but no board so i could easily switch right now. im starting to consider not using intel because 1 the price and 2 i have a desktop laying around thats not being used with an am3+ board and an am phenom ii x3 if i could find a nice priced 6 core phenom i might go that route.
    Last edited by nathan8856; 01-29-2014 at 08:10 PM.

ok nevermind its not a phenom ii x3 it is an amd athlon ii x2 255 the desktop is an acer aspire ax3400g-u4802 its not a badd looking desktop only reason i don't use it is because i didn't build it myself so i dont trust it but i could use the motherboard and a few other parts from it and put them in my gaming computer case. i know the desktop is outdated if i recall correctly my dad got it in 2011 brand new along with the samsung syncmaster t220 and i must admit its been a good desktop they retired it in 2013 and got laptops

lga 1136 i have to make up my mind before i get either board because i have the i5 but no board so i could easily switch right now. im starting to consider not using intel because 1 the price and 2 i have a desktop laying around thats not being used with an am3+ board and an am phenom ii x3 if i could find a nice priced 6 core phenom i might go that route.
    AMD is king for best bang for buck, I like my Intel chips because they overclock really well. AM3 sockets are practically futureproof, really. Many options with the AM3/AM3+ socket and the FX series has practically replaced the Phenoms. So find something that is on sale, I don't think you'd need 6 cores. I'd go dual cores, higher ghz. Moar gigahertz!

AMD is king for best bang for buck, I like my Intel chips because they overclock really well. AM3 sockets are practically futureproof, really. Many options with the AM3/AM3+ socket and the FX series has practically replaced the Phenoms. So find something that is on sale, I don't think you'd need 6 cores. I'd go dual cores, higher ghz. Moar gigahertz!
    haha theres always overclocking maybe ill build a second pc with the amd and keep the intel desktop for overclocking and possibly hackintosh . im still unsure about amd i have always been an intel fan but you have to sell your soul to buy a good intel cpu