RC poster

TRX-1. Sell or keep?

Hi all,

After an 18 year hiatus, I decided to get back into the RC car hobby. So I dug my ancient... I mean vintage, cars out of storage. I have a Traxxas TRX-1 and a Kyosho Turbo Inferno from the early-mid 1990's. The Inferno needs a bit more work to get running, so I focused on the TRX1. Turns out that was easier than I thought it would be, probably too easy for my own good. All the TRX1 needed was a new battery and new front tires, all the original electronics still work. This is where I got myself into trouble.

Those who are faint of heart, stop reading now. Ok, I took it out for a drive. It drove great! Even better than I remembered. Until it flipped and broke the front right suspension arm and bumper >cringe<. So hopped online to see if I could find a replacement and that's when I realized how rare these cars are.

Which brings me to my dilemma: Should I sell it or keep it? I want an RC car to have fun with around my house and the park nearby (I guess that's called "bashing" now) and there is no track nearby. I have no use or room for a "shelf queen", so if I keep it, I want to run it. I'm a bit sentimental about it and like the idea of running my old car, but I'm afraid the 20 year old plastics just aren't up for it. I could maybe replace a lot of the original plastic parts with new versions and/or Bandit parts to keep from breaking any more original parts and keep using it that way.

I don't have a lot of money to invest in this, so running the TRX1 would be the cheapest (maybe only) option unless I could get enough money for it to buy something semi decent to bash around.

I know I'm rambling a bit, but I'm not really sure what to do and thought I'd get some opinions from folks that are more in tune with vintage Traxxas cars.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    -Stephen

RC Competitor
    Keep it! Maybe you're lucky and your town has a vintage class you could race it in. I've been racing my 20 year old SRT and TRX-3 all year. Keep getting beat by a TRX-1 in vintage. Ran the TRX-3 in modified buggy a few times and it can still hang.

People love TRX-1's. If you want to drive one of your cars, use it. If you're not going to drive one, sellit to one of us :-)

RC Champion
    I'd see if you could find some local hobbyist and see what they bash with and see if you like theirs. Yea I can't see 20 y/o plastic holding up well either. It wouldn't be a bad idea to change out all the parts but once you break the chassis... Well that wont be as cheap to fix.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Competitor
    I've run my TRX-3 in 10-15 races this year, and only broke a ball cup.

RC poster
    I thought the flip that broke the suspension arm was pretty tame. I was surprised when I saw the arm broken. Maybe it was just weakened from my antics 20 years ago.

Does anyone know if the Bandit front arms will fit the TRX-1 without having to replace anything else? What about other Bandit parts? I'd rather not put a whole lot of time and money getting the TRX-1 running only to break some irreplaceable part and then be done. I'm not too worried about the chassis. It seems pretty tough and I haven't heard of anyone breaking it. I'm mostly worried about the shock towers, rear bulkhead, and transmission. Replacement rear arms and front/rear arm mounts are easy to find.

RC Competitor
    Oh I just remembered I did break a rear shock tower, but found one at Tony's Hobbies in LA. Browse their website...www.THobbies.net. They have a good inventory of old Traxxas parts. Use the Legacy Models parts list .pdfs off Traxxas.com to find the part numbers you're worried about, then search them on ebay and Thobbies.

RC Competitor
    Seriously I'd keep it if I were you. Vintage cars are en vogue right now, and the TRX-1 is generally the most sought after Traxxas and the least likely to ever be re-issued.

Don't you wish you had that '67 Camaro SS back that you drove in High School? ;-)

I had the same problem with my TRX-1. Broke a bunch of front end parts just from an awkward landing. Didn't even flip. If you want to run the car, invest in some newer black parts. Not sure about Bandit parts fitting, but you should be able to find pretty much all the correct parts for the TRX-1 in black. Once I switched the plastics, the car was nearly indestructible.

RC poster
    Thanks, Fujative, for your advice. I'll probably end up keeping it. I'd still like to get a Bandit basher sometime for when I don't want to worry about what I'm doing.

Harry, that makes me feel not quite so bad about breaking my front arm. The only front arm I can find around is this one. Which is the same that is on the Bandit. The description says it will fit "many" Traxxas cars, but the TRX-1 isn't listed specifically. Did you replace the rear bulkhead and gear box plastics too? I'm having trouble finding new black versions of those. Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks.

RC Competitor
    Slash is the good basher car to have. Parts everywhere at every hobby shop, and most tracks have a racing class of them.

RC Champion
    Before you go any further on this car, you need to get the PDF parts list off the site here...

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...st_TRX-1_0.pdf

Now you know what parts you need to "change out" to make it drivable, as Harry mentioned. Again, the parts used on the TRX-1 were used through the years and can now be purchased in the new "black material" which are far more durable. For example, the front arm is # 1931...still available, now in black, online! Heck the white ones can be found on ebay internationally from the UK for under 13$.

swapping out the arms, steering blocks, rear bearing carriers and perhaps the front bulkhead will make it very strong. If memory serves me correctly, the gears inside the transmission can be changed out to metal gears too in order to run a brushless motor but, I personally went with stock gears and I'll be running brushed motors so I need not worry with metal.

Here is the bottom line, The TRX-1 is one of 2 of the most sought after and hardest to acquire RC cars. Arguably, I'll admit. BUT, if you're into vintage RCs, you'll know what the TRX-1 is and they are super rare!!!!

Keep it and drive it - cars are not meant to sit on a shelf! When you're done with it, sell it to me! I always have room for more TRX-1s....maybe I'll start a collection of them - LOL

OH, I almost forgot, WELCOME BACK and congrats on finding your "Pearl"!

RC poster
    Thanks for the welcome, Redsawacs. It feels good to be back. I did come across that parts list and it made searching for the right parts much easier as the same part would be listed for other Traxxas models, but the TRX-1. However, I cannot find the new black parts that I mentioned above:

front suspension arms #1931 - I can only find #2531 that I linked to above. TowerHobbies says that one is 3" long. Elsewhere on this forum, someone said 1931 is 2 5/8" long, so I'm not sure it will fit right. Maybe with longer turnbuckles...

rear bulkhead #1992 - I can only find the occasional vintage part on eBay

gearbox housing #2791 - I can't find these at all

I'm most concerned about the front arms, since I can't run mine without new ones. Those of you who have the new black front arms, do they look like the original arms, just black?

Thanks.

RC Competitor
    TRX-3 arms are a direct fit. Makes the front track width about 1/2" narrower. They are easier to find than the 1931's.

Mark

RC Competitor
    Get the wide TCP Arms then. Then the 1/2" is negated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujative179 View Post
    Get the wide TCP Arms then. Then the 1/2" is negated.
    Good luck getting a hold of those arms lol. They are has hard to find as the tcp motor mount. To the OP. I have located on ebay UK traxxas part 1931 but in white. This shouldn't be a issue as it's nib and was never exposed to the elements. You can boil the arms to add some flexibly to help with durability. But don't worry black 1931 black show up constantly on ebay.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Quote Originally Posted by StephenF View Post
    rear bulkhead #1992 - I can only find the occasional vintage part on eBay

gearbox housing #2791 - I can't find these at all
    on eBay now, if not, PM me.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice everyone. My plan is to replace as many of the original plastic parts as I can to make it more durable and to preserve the rest of my original parts. I'm also thinking of getting the replacement vintage rear bulkhead and gear box housing that Daniel mentioned and dying them black to match the new parts.

I went ahead and ordered the white vintage 1931's from the UK, but mainly so I have all the correct original parts. I'll keep my eye out for black 1931's and, in the mean time, I'll try out some Bandit front arms to see if they fit. The rear arms and some other suspension part #'s are the same between the Bandit and the TRX-1, so I'm hopeful they'll fit. Otherwise I'll fall back on finding some TRX-3 arms or some more white 1931's.

My next question has to do with shocks. I want to rebuild the shocks. Do I need to find a vintage shock rebuild kit online (I saw one on ebay) or will one of the new rebuild kits work? Any recommendations for shock oil and springs that would be good for general bashing?

Thanks again.