RC poster

Question Big bore shock options for the slayer pro

Looking to upgrade the shocks on my slayer pro. What options are available for the slayer? What are some of you guys running out there?

RC Champion
    I have proline pro specs, works amazing on and off track

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger9 View Post
    I have proline pro specs, works amazing on and off track
    Thanks for the reply. I see those shocks are available in 2 different lengths. Did you use the shorter ones (88mm) on the front and rear?

Welcome to the forums! Does your Slayer have the GTR shocks? If so, there is no better shock for the Slayer as far as I know.
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Welcome to the forums! Does your Slayer have the GTR shocks? If so, there is no better shock for the Slayer as far as I know.
    im just giving my opinion, but the prolines I think are better than GTRs because mine when I was bashing with it on the road, I hit a few jumps and next thing I know im buying shafts and finally upgraded. I think proline is stronger.

RC poster
    Thanks! Yes it has the GTR's. How do you have yours set up? As you know I'm new to the forum and still exploring. Are there any stickies for suspension setup and chassis tuning?

Gunslinger, I think you are talking about the Slash 4x4, we are in the Slayer section.

My set up on my Slayer is this. I'm using the stock GTR shocks and springs using the variable dampening shock kit with the #1 shock pistons. I'm running 60wt shock oil in the front, and 50wt shock oil in the rear. I'm also running with the sway bars. If you don't have the sway bars, I'd get them first. They make the truck so much more stable and easier to drive. It's a night and day difference! Hope this helps!

Gunslinger, I think you are talking about the Slash 4x4, we are in the Slayer section.
    I would be interested to see these Proline shocks. Unless they came out years ago, I do not see them listed on their website under the Slayer (or Revo for that matter, the only difference being the spring rate).

I agree, the stock GTR shocks are the best out there for these trucks and set up right the truck can perform really well. If they can handle the abuse from a Revo, they can deal with what the Slayer puts them through. The truck will also settle down a bit when adding sway bars.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbasher View Post
    Thanks! Yes it has the GTR's. How do you have yours set up? As you know I'm new to the forum and still exploring. Are there any stickies for suspension setup and chassis tuning?

Stick with the teflon and tini shaft GTRs buy the Traxxas 5461 variable valve set manually hand drill pistons to 1.2 mm and use 40-50 weight oil as a base line. Hope this is the answer you are looking for. Buy all gtr springs and the trial begins. Add a Tekno sway bar kit , no drilling for install.
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 01-21-2014 at 11:24 PM. Reason: update

RC poster
    Thanks guys, I ordered the 5461 kit and some 50 and 60 weight oils along with the sway bar kit. I also ordered the Traxxas hard anodized aluminum shock caps for the gtr's.

Are you guys running the stock springs? I'm just going to be bashing on a variety of terrains.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbasher View Post
    Thanks guys, I ordered the 5461 kit and some 50 and 60 weight oils along with the sway bar kit. I also ordered the Traxxas hard anodized aluminum shock caps for the gtr's.

Are you guys running the stock springs? I'm just going to be bashing on a variety of terrains.
    Traxxas recomends double black and double purple rates not to be confused with regular black and purple rates this will set you up with a medium tune which is a great starting point. See the Mike Jenkins set up sheet for the Slayer Pro 4x4 for addition tuning tips.

Ya, I'm just running the stock springs. You do realize that Traxxas doesn't make aluminum shock caps for the GTR shocks, right?

RC Competitor
    Ya, I'm just running the stock springs. You do realize that Traxxas doesn't make aluminum shock caps for the GTR shocks, right?
    Also beware of integy and golden horizons shock caps , I had to use viton rubber o-rings to correctly mount them to the shock towers as the quality control of both companies suck badly.

RC poster
    You do realize that Traxxas doesn't make aluminum shock caps for the GTR shocks, right?
    OOPS! went back and read the fine print, they are for the ultra shocks. I'll just stick with the stockers!